Previous in Forum: Where Were You When the Challenger Exploded?   Next in Forum: More Powerful Rocket
Close
Close
Close
24 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

A 10 Pilot Landed Missile Hit Plane Safely

01/26/2016 2:37 AM

You may, if you are an A 10 fan as I am, have already seen this video, if so I apologise for taking up your time.

But for anyone else, who has the slightest interest in great War Birds, it is worth 5 minutes of your time!

Enjoy!!

Missile damaged A 10 gets home safely!!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Time to take control United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 87

Re: A 10 Pilot Landed Missile Hit Plane Safely

01/26/2016 7:06 AM

Impressive.

Thanks for posting the link.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26

01/26/2016 7:11 AM

THAT is one tough bird. And the pilot has a set of cajones. For the life of me i cant understand WHY they would want to replace the A-10.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #2

01/26/2016 1:30 PM

I saw that someone would like the electronics (avionics?) updated to a modern standard. Bu the same plane.......Don't ask me where I read that.....

What plane can fly after a missile hit? WOW!!

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

01/26/2016 7:21 AM

Excellent. Those aircraft are amazing.

However, This Guy lost the whole right wing and landed safely.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 409
In reply to #3

01/26/2016 7:40 AM

Wow,.... that is one thing with the F15 is its thrust to weight ratio, it can fly without lift.... but with the lack of control surfaces, that is amazing.

Technical Fields - Project Managers & Project Engineers - New Member

Good Answers: 26
In reply to #3

01/26/2016 7:43 AM

That is incredible. He lost 50% of the lift and no chance to trim. WOW!

In reply to #3

01/26/2016 1:39 PM

WOW!!

Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #8

01/26/2016 3:41 PM

I read somewhere that Zivi Nedivi was the student pilot in command of the F-15 and was later demoted for disobeying his instructor's command to eject, then promoted for saving the aircraft.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #9

01/27/2016 7:36 AM

I heard the same thing. And I believe it to be true

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering -

Good Answers: 71

01/26/2016 8:00 AM

Well, of course an A-10 can do it. That is an amazing aircraft, but certainly no true fighter jet could manage such a feat?

Wait, but maybe...

youtube video

Web link.

The story I heard originally was that Boeing engineers said either it wasn't as bad as described or it didn't happen...then they went to work to figure out how it happened!

<edit> My mistake, not Boeing, Mc Donnell Douglass.

Drew K

Another Safe Landing!

01/26/2016 8:36 PM

This time the pilot bailed while it was in a flat spin. After the pilot punched out the aircraft nose dived, corrected itself and skidded to a halt in a cornfield.

It was repaired and returned to service and retired at the National AF Museum in Dayton, Ohio, I think.

Guru

In reply to #10

Re: Another Safe Landing!

01/27/2016 7:37 AM

That can be embarrassing for the pilot.

Good Answers: 8

01/27/2016 3:03 AM

The AF wants to "replace" the A-10 with the F-35, saying it can do the same job, as well as others.

Anybody willing to bet that an F-35 will even survive a couple of .50 cal machine gun hits?

Could have bought a whole new wing of A-10's for the money down the rabbit hole on the F-35 (which can't even fly, or if it does, fire it's gun)!

In reply to #11

01/27/2016 3:18 AM

LOL!!

If I was deciding, I would update the A 10 to the current standards.....faster and cheaper than a new aircraft!!! They built in total 716 of them......

There is a Wiki article here:-

Which documents updates (to some degree at least) where it is said that the aircraft is good for until 2035!! See here:-

In 2007, the A-10 was subject to a service life extension program (SLEP); Boeing was awarded a contract to build as many as 242 A-10 wing sets in June 2007. In November 2011, two A-10s flew with the new wings fitted. In September 2013, the USAF awarded Boeing a $212 million follow-on contract for 56 new wings, increasing the total ordered to 173.

Re-winging improves mission readiness, decreases maintenance costs, and allows the A-10 to be operated up to 2035.

It would be sad to have given out all this money and then not to actually use the aircraft!!

The F-35 is from a different company and is in test at this time.....

In reply to #11

01/27/2016 7:40 AM

The F35 sounds like the LCS. A multiple platform ship.

In other words, 'A jack of all trades, and master of none'.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #11

01/27/2016 1:16 PM

(checks the f-35 on Wikipedia)

ONE engine? That's the complete opposite of redundancy. Although the size of the engine loons impressive.

Wonder if it can limp back to base with one wing torn off? Or will it's 'advanced flight controls' lock up and go insane when it loses half its control surfaces?

On a related note, do its engines have a taste for eating schrapnel like an A-10? The A-10 eats birds straight up, and can even chew down its own wing with a little BBQ sauce. The F-35 looks like a fussy eater, like even an empty Pepsi can would cause it to choke. The A-10 could slam a whole 24-pack case of unopened cans, box and all, belch, and fly on. The A-10 may have the sophistication and table manners of a redneck raised by wolves out in the middle of bear country, but we're not asking it to dance the Lobster Quadrille at the Queen's Ball, we're asking it to go out where people don't like us, and then 'kick butt and chew bubblegum, but we're all outta gum.'

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89

01/27/2016 9:56 AM

The A-10 really shouldn't be classified as an airplane, it should be called a flying tank.

My father was a mechanic in the Air Force, he worked on B-52's, but he saw a lot of other planes taking off, and he talked with the mechanics for the other planes as wll.

The A-10 is Seriously Tough. There have been reports of A-10's getting a wing shot off, having said wing FED THROUGH THE ENGINE behind it, and still managing to limp back to base.

Someone earlier mentioned tight turning radius, but another thing that makes the A-10 a real 'schoolyard bully' in the 'overhead playground' is the fact that it has a cruising speed BELOW that of most modern jet's stall speed. That means that the enemy jet cannot 'keep the A-10 in its sights,' it WILL overshoot the warthog, and then it's got the unhappy end of that tank-killer gatling gun pointed right at its jet exhaust. At a rough guess, I'd say that a modern jet will slow those shells down about as much as a dense cloud of steam.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #16

01/27/2016 10:25 AM

the A-10 is packed with redundancies. On the A-10, the pilot is basically seated in a titanium bath tub....... Try breaking that to get out the door.

In reply to #17

01/27/2016 2:42 PM

The last bath was broken with hammers, this one would probably give into a plasma cutter...just be careful, titanium can burn!

Drew K

In reply to #16

01/27/2016 12:16 PM

LOL!

I support you completely.

A tried and proven 40 year old is better than something that has of now, not passed tests by any of the countries checking it out!! I wonder why?

Good Answers: 8
In reply to #18

01/28/2016 11:43 PM

$$$$?

In reply to #21

01/29/2016 1:39 AM

Which plane do you mean?

All I can say is that the A 10 was updated only a few years ago (see the link I posted), it was said at the time, to be OK till 2035!

The A 10, can stay longer on target as it is intentionally slow.

Modern jets, not only have short "on target" times, but they can easily overrun the A 10 when attacking and as someone else already pointed out, get a "squirt" up the rear (what a picture!!) from the A 10 itself, for their trouble!!

So I would guess that the A 10 is the "cheaper" overall alternative....it also appears to be liked by all who come into contact with it, except maybe from the "opposition".

Also, does anyone else have an effective alternative to do the same job?

But your question was from the area of finance that although I like to see more "bangs for the buck", as do most citizens from any country, I am simply not well enough informed.....sorry. (assuming that was your question!!)

In reply to #22

01/29/2016 6:36 AM

Well informed indeed! The only people I have seen who wanted the public 'well informed' were involved in an uprising. Most notably, the former colonists who operate the aircraft in question.

Once they get in power, it goes right back to they know what is best.

John Galt

02/02/2016 10:59 AM

Business Insider reports that there is a lot of regrets of the F35 now.

New problems are cropping up faster than old problems are resolved.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

adreasler (2); Andy Germany (5); Anonymous Hero (3); Casper71 (2); Drew K (3); JBTardis (1); phoenix911 (6); texasron (2)

Previous in Forum: Where Were You When the Challenger Exploded?   Next in Forum: More Powerful Rocket

Advertisement