Previous in Forum: Orion To Make "Unscrewed" Flight - A First   Next in Forum: IED Advanced Detection and Disabling
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 206

The REAL Valkyrie

05/23/2016 12:18 PM

Roger thinks this is a clumsy robot, It was a plane long before that

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/news/FactSheets/FS-084-DFRC.html

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 416

Re: the REAL Valkyrie

05/23/2016 12:30 PM

I thought it was a Honda

Wikipedia, Gomera-b

Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

05/23/2016 1:51 PM

... and, Adolph thought it was his generals...

Good Answers: 1727

05/23/2016 2:23 PM

"In Norse mythology, a valkyrie (from Old Norse valkyrja "chooser of the slain") is one of a host of female figures who choose those who may die in battle and those who may live. "...

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 161
In reply to #3

05/24/2016 3:25 PM

I think I prefer the Norse version, just not in person, as these are fearsome creatures who do Odin's bidding.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
Good Answers: 89
In reply to #3

06/01/2016 3:34 PM

I thought they chose who were to be carried off to Valhalla, to feast and fight and kill and die, only to wake up the next morning for another pre-fight feast, until they were needed for Ragnerok; and who were to be left to languish with Hel in the underworld, denies the glory of fighting in the grand battle that would be the end of this world, the death of most of the Norse gods, and result in the beginning of the next world.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #10

06/01/2016 4:15 PM

Not all who die in battle make it to Valhalla, only the valiant. Not those driving the Valiant. Dying while making a stand to defend one's comrades is probably a good way to be chosen.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - Commodore 64 - New Member Popular Science - Evolution - New Member United States - Member - New Member

Location: Illinois, 7 county region (The 'blue dot' that drags the rest of the 'red state' around during presidential elections.)
In reply to #11

06/02/2016 9:19 AM

Exactly, they were the 'taxi service' for the Valiant Fallen. They made no decisions in who lived and who died. They were nor 'fearsome' as in 'fear-inspiring,' they were dressed and armed in 'warrior chic.' Seeing one heading for you was not only good news (in that you got to party and fight until the end of the world), they were also smokin' HAWT! A modern equivalent would be entering the afterlife to find your guide to the What Comes Next is the St. Pauli girl, with an ice cold 2 gallon mug of your favorite brew in each hand, and showing an impressive amount of cleavage in that low-cut Bavarian blouse. Knowing that she's leading you to an endless Octoberfest (where she and her sisters will be there serving beer all day, and sticking around for the nightly 'after-party') only makes the sight of her even more of a joyful event.

Or, if that is still a bit esoteric, another analogy would be the righteous being led to the promised land by an angel who looks EXACTLY like the person the recently fallen considered the most beautiful in the world, dressed and decked out in gear that enhances his/her beauty almost past reason.

( The opinions espressed in this post may not reflect the true opinions of the poster, and may not reflect commonly accepted versions of reality. ) (If you are wondering: yes, I DO hope to live to be as old as my jokes.)
Guru

In reply to #12

06/02/2016 9:23 AM

You appear to be trapped in a St. Pauli nightmare. Keep livin' the dream!

In reply to #13

06/02/2016 9:48 AM

It's probably because I didn't go off to a distant college and live in a 'party dorm' during my 'coming of age' years. Part of me still longs for that time of endless parties, free (or at least cheap) alcohol, and -ahem- 'overly friendly' girlfriends.

We all have our failings, those ideas that constantly tempt us. Better to accept and understand them than to repress them until they turn into something sick and twisted and too powerful to resist. If Rage/Wrath is the big temptation, then a daily promise to "not punch anyone today" helps one to stay strong than the constant denial of "I'm not a violent person, I'm not a violent person, I'm not a- HEY! that guy just cut in line! *PUNCH*"

(Self-marking as OT because we're drifting to a tangent of a tangent here)

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #14

06/02/2016 10:31 AM

I don't think this is all that much off-topic. After all, we are discussing, pretty girls, beer, and combat, all of which the Valkyries are familiar with.

We aim to please here. You aim too, please. Oh wait, that was just a saying from a urinal stall somewhere.

Now repeat the Lord's prayer with me lest we be led off into temptation. A thing of beauty is a gift to behold, enjoy, savor even, but let it go, whether it be brew, a woman, or a fish (unless you are totally in need of a fish).

If all us Viking Americans were to go a-plundering what would be the ideal place to raid? I am thinking Vancouver, B.C., just saying, although I understand the gents up there in that part of Canada are well-heeled. Might not be the easy beer run.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

Re: The REAL Valkyrie

05/24/2016 8:01 AM

In my defense, this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsHT9aAkAK8

The best is that I was watching this and thought "wow, this is slow" and then the guy comes into the frame and I realized "oh, this video is sped up!"

NASA Robotics!

Meanwhile at Boston Dynamics...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVlhMGQgDkY

Guru

Good Answers: 1727
In reply to #4

05/24/2016 12:11 PM

Unlike humans, robots are generally built for specific purpose....so you're comparing apples and oranges if the robots are built for different purposes...and I might add at the degree of completed developmental goals...while it's true these robots are likely to be continuously upgraded in one way or another, there is a time when the robot goes into service...out of beta testing so to speak...these are still mostly industrial type machines, the semi-autonomous types we are watching so closely have yet to come into widespread practical use as of yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feEE716UEk

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #6

05/24/2016 1:20 PM

Let's hope you're right. It just seems like robotics have moved far beyond what they are demonstrating. Don't get me wrong, I love NASA and think they do amazing things...this just doesn't strike me as one of them.

Guru

In reply to #4

05/24/2016 3:19 PM

That last one (the later part of it) is precisely why the rise of the machines will spell the doom of humankind! Cruelty to robots, or hostile work environment laws are probably already on the way....LOL, not.

Bubba sliding around on the snow sort of reminded me of myself, on an early winter morning.

05/24/2016 10:22 AM

It looks better in its transformations:

(Yes, this is also a Valkyrie, from the old Macross anime (Robotech in the US.)

Reply to Forum Thread 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); adreasler (4); Bayes (2); Brave Sir Robin (1); James Stewart (5); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Orion To Make "Unscrewed" Flight - A First   Next in Forum: IED Advanced Detection and Disabling

Advertisement