Previous in Forum: Weathering of Oak   Next in Forum: Is Political Science a Real Science?
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Super Computers (PLT's and AI)

08/09/2007 3:58 AM

Hey Dudes,

"Just asking from the point of no information":-

I live in South Africa, where we have 11 official languages. Given any paragraph with words from various languages, when reading, one is able to adjust his accent in such a way that it matches the relevant language-word and also understand that word as such.

You see, I've got an N95 cellphone and have installed a software that imparts the name of the person calling me as my phone rings. Believe you me, its pronounciation is quite bad (especially on non-english words)!!!

I was thinking this other time, using the latest Programming Language Translation (PLT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies, what would have to be size in GB and clock-frequency speed in GHz of the super-computer, to enable it to pronounce and intreprete correctly, instructions given in various 11 languages?

Well, I'm honestly not expecting an infallible answer!!!

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 661

Re: Super Computers (PLT's and AI)

08/09/2007 4:15 AM

'Recognize speech' ? ... or was that 'wreck a nice beach' ?

Will you ever trust a computer to distinguish between the two?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817

08/09/2007 7:37 AM

"Send reinforcements; we're going to advance!"

"Send three and fourpence; we're going to a dance!"

[Three shillings and fourpence in the old money is today worth nearly £0.17 GBP.]

Also, http://www.tay.fi/FAST/US1/REF/britguid.html, (with thanks to 'Kris').

Can any electronic system cope with pispropouncitation? Most cannot cope with speling mistrokes...

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 817
In reply to #2

08/09/2007 9:25 AM

There's scope for 'PlbMak' to come in here again with the script from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_candles

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

08/10/2007 7:04 AM

Hi EddyM, Does the South African Govt promote 11 languages as a good thing. Surly it makes life difficult and would drive a computer program nuts.

In Australia the official language is English and we still don't know what our politicians are talking about and a lot of the time neither do they!!

Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10

08/10/2007 9:00 AM

That's interesting! Can you ID the software and source? My wife (Filipina) speaks a number of dialects, which are essentially different languages. They also use tonals in their conversations.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

04/01/2008 9:46 AM

CR4 just ran a four-part interview with AI researcher Selmer Bringsjord. If you're interested, here are the links.

Engineering Zombies (Part 1)

Engineering Synthetic Minds (Part 2)

Dumb Humans and Ruthless Machines (Part 3)

AI in the Garden of Good and Evil (Part 4)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Cardio07 (1); Del the cat (1); garth (1); PWSlack (2); Steve Melito (1)

Previous in Forum: Weathering of Oak   Next in Forum: Is Political Science a Real Science?

Advertisement