Previous in Forum: Voltage Drop On Transformer When A/C Turns On   Next in Forum: Bearing Failure
Close
Close
Close
6 comments

Predicting The Characteristics Of Filters

01/04/2017 3:11 AM

I would like to know one thing that say if you know Processor word length(TMS320VC5510 DSP) it accumulator and guard bits can you make a guess about filter characteristics to be used for this architecture. just to be more precise lets put following values as an example.

The processor word length is 16 bits and it has a 40 bit accumulator with 8 guard bits So what kind of filters (Filter Characteristics ) you can use for the above mentioned architecture and how you predicted i mean by analyzing what?. what i can do so far is that may be a loww pass filter with range around [-3,3) can be used.

Regards

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 292

Re: Predicting The Charcteristics Of Filters

01/04/2017 7:37 AM

I think you're approaching this from the wrong direction.

Shouldn't you decide what performance you want from the filter, then decide on the best way to implement it with the given DSP.

The DSP data sheet and user guide will help you decide whether or not it has enough power to achieve what you want/need.

What do you mean by "range around [-3,3)" ?

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #1

01/05/2017 1:18 AM

(-3, +3) is likely to be the voltage range(in volts), probably going into an ADC.

I guess it has been mentioned in order to know in which part of the datasheet it is being specified.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1038

01/04/2017 8:01 AM

The DSP is just a number cruncher. The filters are implemented by a program written for the DSP. Nothing about the DSP limits the type of filter you can implement. The speed and data size may put a limit on the sampling rate and how precisely the filters can be implemented.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

01/04/2017 9:43 AM

...and be careful about the sampling rate. When two frequencies are mixed together, the out-coming signal will have components that are the sum of and the difference between the two frequencies, which may have an effect on whatever the out-coming signal is driving.

Just sayin'.

Good Answers: 115

01/04/2017 9:46 AM

Texas Instruments publishes tons of app notes for their DSP family of products and there are even free DSP books available for download.

As others have mentioned, a DSP is just a compute device, albeit one optimised for signal processing, but there is nothing about the architecture, word-length and so forth that limits the types of filters you can implement with them or any other kind of processor. I mean, in principle you could implement one with pencil-and-paper with you being the compute device (just don't expect real-time performance ).

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Participant

Re: Predicting The Characteristics Of Filters

02/15/2017 11:01 PM

There is a lot of information about the " TMS320VC5510 ", hoping to help you.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (1); Ivanov327950 (1); liuqiblog (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Voltage Drop On Transformer When A/C Turns On   Next in Forum: Bearing Failure

Advertisement