Previous in Forum: Orbital Plot of Cassini Last Three Dives   Next in Forum: Close Encounters of the Classified Kind
Close
Close
Close
26 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926

Stratolaunch Unveiled

06/01/2017 1:34 PM

How's this for an enormous mechanical engineering feat!

Thee Dailily news report can be found by clicking on the picture, The CNN report includes some additional details. The race to commercialize space is getting interesting.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Re: Stratolaunch unveiled

06/01/2017 1:36 PM

Sometimes a typographic error can be funny.

Good Answers: 115
In reply to #1

06/01/2017 1:46 PM

The Dalailily Lama says "I know, right?"

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012

06/01/2017 2:03 PM

It makes sense. A rocket is not a very efficient device for lifting heavy loads through the lower atmosphere.

Guru

In reply to #3

06/01/2017 4:41 PM

This approach probably will be more efficient lifting a heavy load through the atmosphere, but I thought the crux of the problem was achieving orbital speed and instead of altitude.

The likely torsion and torques on that mid-wing section through normal turbulence let alone the launched rocket wake makes me nervous.

All I can say is I'm glad its not my money invested in this. Then again, I wish I had enough money that they would ask me to invest in this.

Good Answers: 283
In reply to #8

06/01/2017 7:28 PM

"...The likely torsion and torques on that mid-wing section through normal turbulence let alone the launched rocket wake makes me nervous..."

My sentiments exactly! Using a connected horizontal stabilizers similar to the mid wing section would allow a much more robust built. I wonder why the horizontal stabilizers are kept separate.

I also wonder about the flat noses.

Good Answers: 279

06/01/2017 2:54 PM

It's great 'til the pilots in one cockpit fall out with those in the other.

In reply to #4

06/01/2017 3:20 PM

"I SAID we're going to Boston!"

"Screw you! I'm going to L.A.!"

Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780

06/01/2017 3:39 PM

If two fuselages are better than one, why not three?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 403
In reply to #6

06/01/2017 10:01 PM

The needed Added wing area for the extra fuselages

Good Answers: 279
In reply to #6

06/02/2017 5:37 AM

Keeping things "balanced" with and without the payload would be a nightmare with an odd number of fuselages.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 17

06/01/2017 4:16 PM

Apparently, the structural design is strong enough to fly well enough under many conditions, but seems intrinsically weakened by not having the tail sections directly connected with one continuous, intermediate wing...

In rough weather, one fuselage could oscillate out of phase with the other, and thereby, shake itself apart, without a correcting force transmitted by a single continuous connecting wing...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012
In reply to #7

06/01/2017 4:57 PM

"Each fuselage has its own tail with horizontal and vertical stabilizer, leaving a clear area behind the payload to reduce the risk of interference during flight."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaled_Composites_Stratolaunch

Possibly air turbulence from the payload would cause problems if the horizontal stabilizer went all the way across. Maybe independently controlling both stabilizers could be used to cancel out any "twisting" problem from rough weather.

Guru

In reply to #9

06/01/2017 6:18 PM

I'm ''crossing my fingers'' for good enough weather, but I still would not fly in it...

''illigitimi non carborundum...''(i.e.: don't let the fatherless (self-deluding,sabotaging, long-term-memory-impaired, knee-jerking, cheap-shotting, mono-syllabic, self-annointed, shadow-lurking, back-biting, off-topic-inquisitors) grind you down...)
Guru

In reply to #9

06/01/2017 6:26 PM

Pretty good chance they wouldn't be launching a rocket from that plane in bad weather anyway. Yes they have to accommodate somewhat less-than-ideal conditions (clear-air turbulence, etc.), but this isn't really designed to be an all-weather aircraft.

Guru

In reply to #11

06/05/2017 3:34 PM

Let's hope it doesn't ever have to land in condititions similar to the wind shear that periodically occurs at (Chigago's O'hare ?) Airport...

Guru
United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 69
In reply to #21

06/06/2017 11:11 PM

Maybe, you haven't had the opportunity to fly in or out our fine States, like Colorado, Nevada, or some cities in California and I know there are many more airports that suffer wind shear. And as far as "the wind" Chicago has nothing on Cheyenne, Wy. when it comes to "wind" It can be an "E" ride in the winter with 2" of ice and 50mph cross wind in a white-out!

In reply to #23

06/13/2017 11:51 AM

Thanks for underscoring my point about how even landing can be dangerous flying...

Guru

In reply to #24

06/13/2017 1:34 PM

"...even landing can be dangerous..."

Wow, quite the understatement. 'Landing,' as the cessation of flight and contact with land or water below, isn't adequately described as 'even...can be dangerous.' 'Landing' is usually the most dangerous aspect.

Consider if you have an engine or two fail just after the wheels lift off. The danger isn't the takeoff, it is the severity of the impending landing.

United States - Member - Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - New Member

In reply to #25

06/13/2017 4:13 PM

"The danger isn't the takeoff, it is the severity of the impending landing." Your right.

But, you don't necessarily need to be airborne to have a really bad landing.

Re: Stratolaunch Unveiled

06/01/2017 9:03 PM

Thanks, no thanks. I can see the asymmetrical thrust of one engine being a problem before they get off the ground. If you ever want to hear a pilot whining, give them spit throttle knobs on a multi-engine aircraft. But, then even the Spruce Goose flew for a moment before being mothballed. What I understand is that they're basing the rocket to launch like the X-15, falls free and clear before the booster engines are lite. If that's the case, I would have a full span horizontal tail plane.

Rigging this aircraft "as it's designed now", would be a nightmare, 1/4° of deflection off between the two tail sections could cause some serious twisting moment.

In reply to #13

06/01/2017 9:38 PM

Just to play "Devil's Advocate" here, with the more robust and rapid control feedback technology we have today this might be a large scale version of the feedback technology used to make the X-29 at all flyable.

(This magnificent research project should not have been capable of flying safely at all, let alone at supersonic speeds.)

Thus independent but "computer" trimmed control of each separate rudder and all four elevators maybe why the stresses on the mid-wing will be tolerable.

In reply to #14

06/01/2017 10:25 PM

It's still a pretty cool (massive) airplane but I think I'll wait a few thousand hours of flight time before I jump one. As far as flight computers, there fine til they receive the wrong input or lack of input (AF447). I guess I'm too old, I still rather hear loose rudder cables slapping on the belly to let you know it's time to tighten up the ship.

Good Answers: 1701

06/02/2017 2:26 AM

06/04/2017 9:52 AM

Does anyone know why the noses are flat with sharp edges?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 403
In reply to #19

06/04/2017 10:07 AM

I believe it's for aerodynamic reasons.

working naval architects in the ship yards, the fast attack boats we designed and built the chimes were sharp edges, very little eddies that created resistance, the water flow over without getting sucked in.

the flat edges, my guess would be somewhat opposite, and that it would create resistance over a larger area for slowing the craft down with the correct angle of attack.

In reply to #20

06/06/2017 10:57 PM

They haven't installed the radar antenna nor the radome, they're just trying to find out how many fuel leaks they have before they light the candles.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andrew Westman (3); dj95401 (5); MR. Guest (4); phoenix911 (2); Randall (2); redfred (3); Rixter (2); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1); truth is not a compromise (3)

Previous in Forum: Orbital Plot of Cassini Last Three Dives   Next in Forum: Close Encounters of the Classified Kind

Advertisement