Previous in Forum: What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight?   Next in Forum: The Beginning of the End of Tesla
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

Buildup of Mold

08/15/2017 3:30 PM

I suffer from sleep apnea and use a CPAP machine. I have noticed the buildup of a "pink" substance that looks like a mold on the damp plastic surfaces of the water chamber used for humidification. At first, I thought it could be due to contaminants in the water supplied to the chamber, but I utilize only distilled water in that service.

I remember also seeing a similar substance on water pipes and their connections many years ago when I was still employed; at that time I "wrote it off" as due to water contaminants, but now I'm unsure that was really the case.

Anyone have thoughts what type of "mold" might exhibit a pinkish color. For reference, I live in NE Ohio; I haven't noticed this mold condition when I use my CPAP in any other area. Thanks.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1794

Re: Buildup of Mold

08/15/2017 3:42 PM

Yes quite common algae I think....

..."The most efficient whay to clean your humidifier tank and mask cushion is to clean them once a week:

1. first with Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
  2. then soak everything, including your CPAP hose, in a solution of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts water, for 30 minutes."...

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t57586/pink-slime-in-tank.html

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 418
In reply to #1

08/15/2017 3:58 PM

I was just reading about a week ago about the problems with buildup on CPAP machines and they need to be cleaned quite regularly.

ga

Good Answers: 17

08/16/2017 5:50 AM

I don't get that problem here in Brisbane, Oz. I just soak the tube, nosepiece and water chamber once a week with luke-warm water and detergent. Has a nice sweet smell for a short time after that. The water here is river water, and hard.

Register to Reply

Good Answers: 2

08/16/2017 8:52 AM

I found this pink stuff in my bathroom starting about 5 years ago. It is very difficult to eliminate. The little bit left behind in a shampoo bottle/cap intersection after cleaning reproduced back to a major area of tile.

From the net "It is a bacteria called Serratia marcescens. It is considered a harmful human pathogen which has been known to cause urinary tract infections, wound infections, and pneumonia.Serratia bacteria also have many antibiotic resistance properties which may become important if the incidence of Serratia infections dramatically increases."

It feeds on fatty materials, loves moisture and is resistant most chemical bathroom cleaners.

My suggestion to you is to rinse your tubing with hydrogen peroxide (normal home use strength) and then store it in a bag with desiccant to keep it dry.

Good luck and good health.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

08/16/2017 8:55 AM

I suppose the more you use disinfectants for this 'pink bacteria' Serratia marcescens,... the stronger the remaining strain becomes.

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 6
In reply to #4

08/16/2017 12:30 PM

I second that it's bacteria--if I go too long between washing out my dog's water bowl with soap and water a pink slime develops. I was told it's Serratia bacteria.

In reply to #6

08/16/2017 12:54 PM

Our miniature Pinscher has being under the weather for the past few days, where we made an appointment with the Vet, (He needed his shoots anyways). I'll have to check out and wash all their dishes.

My girlfriend usually is pretty good with the dog dishes in the house, but we have a water dish on the out side where I just rinse it before I fill it.

In reply to #6

08/16/2017 2:23 PM

Yep. That looks like the stuff!

In reply to #9

08/16/2017 8:02 PM

In reply to #11

08/17/2017 7:19 AM

Everything was fine then Suddenly, There's an out break epidemic of Serratia marcescens at CR4,... all members are now wearing masks and latex gloves as they type... more news at the top of the hour.

In reply to #4

08/16/2017 2:21 PM

Thanks and a GA.

Good Answers: 6

08/16/2017 3:15 PM

My wife has a CPAP machine and were advised to use white vinegar and a rinse of distilled water. That's all we use and after several years we have had no problems.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 31

08/16/2017 10:40 PM

I found that "pink mold' in the sink, around the drain, and in the bottom of a glass that I keep in the bathroom for taking pills or getting a drink. I use common hydrogen peroxide to pour in the sink or put in the bottom of my glass and leave for a few minutes. It seems to kill it off for a while. Also shows up in the shower around the seams and corners. I spritz the peroxide around that I keep to spray on my feet. Peroxide does a great job in preventing athletes foot and toenail fungus as well as killing off the mold.

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #12

08/17/2017 4:20 PM

"a glass that I keep in the bathroom for taking pills or getting a drink."

I'd treat myself to the luxury of a clean "glass that I keep in the bathroom for taking pills or getting a drink" almost every day, were I you.

I deleted the remark about changing underwear every day.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #16

08/17/2017 5:10 PM

Actually it is clean since it only holds water. It is probably more that I do not dry it completely with a towel that the mold occurs. Since the kitchen is on the first floor and my bathroom is on the second floor I admit to a bit of laziness on my part for not bringing a new glass up every day and returning the other downstairs, perhaps the back operation in March and the knee operation in August has something to do with it. Actually not really, I've had this issue for years. Oh, the underwear does get changed everyday since the bedroom and bathroom are both upstairs. Thanks for not asking though.

Good Answers: 1683
In reply to #19

08/17/2017 5:48 PM

I hope you are recovering nicely.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 25

08/17/2017 8:29 AM

As surface disinfectant agent, the hospital staff uses citric acid as wipes for all equipment exposed surfaces or enclosures..

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63

08/17/2017 4:19 PM

I think the response about bacteria nailed it. Mold, which is a big problem with bikers/runners water bottles is always black - never pink. A bottle of sodium hypochlorite solution takes care of water bottle mold, and should do in bacteria as well.

Now there is a question for researchers to check into. Why does mold grow in water bottles, but bacteria grows in a CPAP machine? Seems like a similar environmental condition for both.

In reply to #15

08/17/2017 4:48 PM

Probably sunlight exposure plays a role....

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - EE from the the Wilds of Pa.

Good Answers: 63
In reply to #17

08/17/2017 4:58 PM

Not much sunlight getting through a Polar Bottle. The outer layer is clear plastic, but the next layer is definitely a metallic coated mylar. Besides, I ride primarily in what the weather folks call a temperate rain forest. We have more cloudy days here per year then Seattle. Sunshine is a treat around here.

In reply to #15

02/20/2018 12:25 PM

Hi, a few days ago I discovered the water bottle I use all the time was completely lined with a bright red slime. It must be that bacteria!
The crazy thing is, I've been religiously rinsing it out with white vinegar, then water, nearly every day, assuming that would kill and wash out anything.

Is this bacteria resistant to acetic acid or something?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #21

02/20/2018 6:09 PM

I find hydrogen peroxide works on it.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (2); convertwidget (1); Hannes (1); kenjacobsen (1); lrsheldon (1); lyn (2); Phaddy (1); phoenix911 (4); Phys (2); SolarEagle (3); Spinco (3); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: What is the True Gravitational Measurement of Weight?   Next in Forum: The Beginning of the End of Tesla

Advertisement