Previous in Forum: Ergonomics of Architectural Hardware   Next in Forum: Human Iris Authentication
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 31

Affect of Resonant Response on The Human Nervous System

09/06/2007 12:02 AM

Intellectual maturity dictates that we not reject ideas simply because we do not understand them.

I know no one who has Multiple Sclerosis. My interest was piqued as I stood behind a TV camera shooting the "Good Morning with Beth Show" for KWWL TV in Waterloo, Iowa, somewhere around 1973. During this shoot, a woman used some unusual terms to describe the onset of her disease. I carried that experience with me through a number of years while my interests ran the spectrum of electro-physics and related science.

One day I was looking at some anatomy transparencies in a nursing text book that my wife acquired while at school. Viewing a transparency of the nervous system overlay, I thought, "This particular long thin membrane could be imagined to be a horizontally polarized antenna." - (Rotate 90 degrees) - "This same long thin membrane could be imagined to be a vertically polarized antenna."

In the case of neural de-myelination – Specifically - Multiple Sclerosis and/or ALS:

This is a disease of the industrialized nations. 32% of all victims reside in the United States. The argument being made here is that one common thread in the distribution of this disease is the exposure to near resonant field. It is further proposed, that this exposure is near universal to the population, understanding the fact that the industrialized nations have based their commercial and private radio frequency communications systems at frequencies that would be suspect in resonant response of the human nervous system. Environmental exposure to these specific frequencies could be a possible direct or contributive cause, either through direct affect or autoimmune response.

Information available to the layperson indicates that an autoimmune response may be involved. I suggest that this type of autoimmune response may well be triggered by damaged Myelin that is now recognized by the autoimmune system as foreign to the body. Saying MS is an "autoimmune disease" may be like saying the damage in a fire is caused by "heat and smoke."

I now ask that the reader contemplate a simple definition given in an introductory teaching text along with the universal and fundamental principle of electrical resonance.

"A nerve fiber or axon, along which an electrical impulse can travel, includes a CYLINDRICAL membrane with one CONDUCTING fluid (electrolyte) inside and another outside. By mechanisms similar to those in batteries, a potential difference of the order of .1V is maintained between these fluids."(1)

This leads to a conclusion that the nervous system is electrochemical in nature. I stressed CYLINDRICAL and CONDUCTIVE because of the resonant potential of long, thin, conductive materials, regardless of where these long, thin, conductive materials may be found.

Long, thin, conductive materials with certain properties respond similarly to exposure to near resonant field, as does a high inductance RLC circuit. The sharpness of the resonant response in a RLC circuit is a result of the inductive component being large in value.

An admitted intuitive assumption on my part is that the sharpness of the resonant response in a long, thin, conductive material is a result of the length relative to diameter of the material. Since a long thin wire will react like a high inductance RLC circuit, the resonant bandwidth of a long thin conductive material with certain properties can be modeled as a high inductance RLC circuit.

Algorithmic analysis of a basic RLC circuit could lead to the extrapolation that any resonant response of the human nervous system may be individually specific. This would explain why only a small number of people within a large population group would be affected by identical exposure to specific frequencies.

"---the human body absorbs RF energy more effectively at a frequency where body length is about .4 the wave length and the body's long axis is aligned with the incoming electric-field polarization. This condition is known as "whole-body resonance." Further - "for an average male adult weighing about 70 kilograms and about 1.75 meters tall, the maximum RF energy uptake would be at about 60 MHz, close to TV channel 2, and not far removed from the 6- meter band." (2)

The above gives the approximate values for the frequencies for "whole body resonance", which could be interpreted to mean a cylindrical object with some conductive value. However, the nervous system (or components thereof) could be viewed as a much less massive subsystem of significant different effective length and with a much higher Q value due to both structure and chemical composition. The "Q Value" being defined as the sharpness or reactivity of the system to field at or near specific resonant frequency.

Although field density is most commonly sited as the measurement of environmental exposure, frequency has a much greater impact on resonant capable systems. Again, a long thin conductor will react like a high inductance RLC circuit when exposed to near resonant frequency.

In computing values for a RLC circuit where the inductance is given as .1 Henry and solving for the capacitance to tune the circuit to an effective length of 68 inches; the tremendous effect frequency has on the induced power becomes clearly evident. First computing induced power at resonance and then changing the frequency of the exposing field by a value corresponding to just .001 inch, the induced power changes by over 8 fold. At 173 MHz this corresponds to a difference of about 2500 HZ. This is a relatively small difference in frequency, or length of the resonator, for such a significant change in induced power. Again, it is this effect (electrical resonance) that could explain why only a small number of people, out of a large population group, would be affected when exposed to the same electromagnetic environment.

The laws of physics are universal. If long thin membranes exist as part of the human nervous system, as indicated in my wife's nursing texts, then the potential for resonant effect exists.

Direct VS. In-direct Cause.

This topic is best addressed through a series of questions.

What is the oxidation potential of myelin?

Depending on the oxidation potential of the myelin, could direct induction cause damage to the Myelin?

How does the mammalian nervous system respond to exposure to near resonant field? Does the response include a "boost" in potential?

How do the results of high field/short term exposure compare to low field/long term exposure?

What is the history of de-myelination related disease?

So far, my experience in discussing this topic has resulted in the following antithetical arguments. First, that my lack of expertise in human physiology reasonably negates any opinion that I may have and second, that the neuron length is too short to be subject to resonant effect at commercial communication frequencies.

Both of these arguments would be valid points if the scale of the effect was at the neuron level, or an intimate understanding of the human nervous system was prerequisite to understanding, or would negate, the effects of rudimentary electromagnetic induction.

My understanding of human physiology is a mute point. I readily admit to my ignorance. My argument is that I do not need to know the difference between the white matter of the CNS and the ganglia of the PNS. It is however, of some value to know the action potential of a nerve impulse because this would give some indication as to what potential the myelin must withstand without oxidation. I certainly do not have a good understanding of the electrochemical processes of the nervous system, but neither is it needed to make thesis that components of the nervous system, singularly or in continuous connection, can be modeled as long thin conductors.

An example of this is the spinal cord. Beginning at the Foramen Magnum (extending from the brain stem) and continues down through the Vertebral Canal to the tapering point of the Conus Medullaris. The spinal cord alone presents a thin continuously conductive material. This component is further lengthened by the Brain Stem at one end and Cauda Equina at the other.

I suggest that certain components of the human nervous system, alone and/or in continuously connected combination, will respond to near resonant field, that the frequency of resonant response will be a function of the length of electrical continuity and that very possibly, for some components, singularly or in combination, will correspond to a bandwidth commonly found in the environment. The thesis is further defined to include argument that the length and inductance of the human nervous system is possibly individual specific, so much so, that it can be used much like a fingerprint. Further, that the "Q Value" of the nervous system, combined with the slight differences between individuals, would explain the low occurrence of detrimental effect when large population groups are exposed to the same electromagnetic environment.

In any case, the frequency of the environmental field could have far greater effect than field density and should be a primary factor when considering environmental exposure.

I have found it more bearable to be disdained as ignorant than remain silent when others are more inclined to turn their heads. Environmental impact has become merely an economic measure, where the cost of corrective action is measured in dollars per death, and which I find anathema to my nature.

I cannot imagine a topic where the dichotomy of science is more clearly evident.

I thank you for taking the time to carefully read the above and would appreciate and consider all responses.

Sincerely;

Gavilan

1. College Physics - Fourth Edition-Complete Sears-Zemansky-Young
2. The ARRL UHF/Microwave Experimenter's Manual

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 2

Re: Affect of Resonant Response on The Human Nervous System

09/06/2007 6:12 AM

That's a very interesting dissertation. It's heartening to see someone not raising the telescope to the wrong eye. My great fear is that we now live in an environment so cluttered that sorting out causes and effects has become almost impossible. You show a ray of hope.

Resonance clearly makes huge differences in reliability or damage in all man's crude structures. Why we might want to think/hope it doesn't in natures elegant ones doesn't require much speculation.

There has long been a 'suspicion' in the UK about living near overhead HT lines with (to my knowledge) little independent work done to study it. In this country we are being 'educated' into confusing science with mathematics; specifically statistics. Whenever attempts are made to work out effects such as these statistical analyses are resorted to which are broadcast as 'science'. In my upbringing science began by designing experiments, then testing them and then analysing results.

09/06/2007 5:23 PM

Your postulate is not so far fetched. As you probably already know, there was a link between early cell phones and brain tumors, although it was not be proven in court. The cell phone manufacturers altered or increased the shielding after a class action suit.

What the medical profession refer to as free radicals is what you might better recognize as an ionized cell. Vitamins and such labeled as antioxidants eliminate free radicals in the body. Free-radicals are currently linked directly or indirectly to various forms of cancer.

At a quick glance I would guess that electromagnetic resonance might be a contributing factor, maybe even the trigger. However, there are most likely other additional factors or deficiencies that make a person more susceptible (besides physical attributes such as height).

Limited levels of any form of radiation are acceptable, so long as a persons body is able to heal quicker than the damage is occurring. An underlying deficiency might make someone more susceptible to the damage you are referring to.

One easy test might be to confine someone with the disease in question to a magnetically shielded living space for a week or two for observation and see if they experience even a minor relief from symptoms.

Repeated bolus dosing of amino acids and proteins responsible for the manufacturing of Myelin followed by observation might be a good approach as well.

As an example, most animals produce between 10,000-20,000 milligrams of vitamin C (a strong antioxidant) daily. Humans do not produce it, but must consume it. The tablets you buy in a store are 1000 milligrams or less. Check for max dosages and stay under, but way over the minimum recommendation is definitely not a bad thing.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

09/07/2007 1:48 AM

It was adviced not to sleep near Radar Room while i was serving on board a war ship because the radar tranismission is harmful.we were not given full deatils.

crm

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #3

09/07/2007 7:20 AM

I well remember the warning while in school cadet force on summer camp at an RAF base.

A relative with considerable service in the Fleet Air Arm died young from cancer. We believe it was as a result of the combination of EM emissions, watching his weight & fitness (diet) and the stress of his job/rank.

Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #3

09/07/2007 11:55 AM

Have you ever seen a relatively low power radar beam's effect on pigeons, or birds in general? It seriously disorientates them, and affects their flying ability. It would be a nice project for some college project, or just for the exercise, to list all the radiation we are subjected to in a specific time period. An hour, a day, a month, etc. Frequency, strength of the radiation, etc. AM, FM, TV, various satellite radiation, cell phones... Do these radiations, plus cosmic rays, neutrino flux, etc have an effect on genetic mutations? The degredation of potassium-40 in the body? What about electric and magnetic fields, where some people live close to high voltage transmission lines? Microwave leakage at home, etc. There has been some research done on electric and magnetic field strength and the effects on iron in hemoglobin in RBCs.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

09/07/2007 10:17 AM

Gavilan, you are really on to something of importance. I have had first hand experience with radio waves from a two way radio. The device I carried in a holster hanging off my belt had an antena about 6 or 7 inches long, and the tip of this antena would always be about 1 inch or less away from my right arm, just above the elbow. But, at first I would have to take it out of the holster to use it. When we first got these radios we didn't have the atachment extension for speaker/microfone that clips onto your shirt or anywhere. So I never felt anything wrong until shortly after we got the atachments for our walkies and the radio would always be in the holster and the antena near my arm. At the time, I was a shift engineer and worked 12 hour shifts. After a few shifts, by the end of my shift I started to notice an ache on the back of my right arm, on the muscle just above the elbow. This went on for a couple of weeks as the ache became present earlier and earlier into the shift. I started to wonder about the proximity of the antena to my arm and if the signal might be doing something. The only consistency to some exposure of that area of my arm was the tip of the antena. As I read all the information that came with the device I found a WARNING: KEEP ANTENA AWAY FROM BODY A MINIMUM OF 1 INCH.

Aside from learning to always read the warnings of new equipment, I bent the flexible antena and clasped the tip to the holster, away from my arm. The pain went away completely after a day or so and never came back as I kept the antena away.

We truly are affected by radio, electromagnetic waves, etc.

Who knows how badly we may be affecting our own chindren's lives in the name of technology: quicker, bigger, better, more memory, more RAM, faster CPUs.... and our youth: more learning disabilities, more children illnesses, more genetic deffects....

DOES ANYONE REALLY KNOW HOW MUCH AN EMBRYO OR A FETUS IS AFFECTED BY ITS ENVIRONMENT...OUTSIDE ITS MOTHER?

Take care Hawk, keep up the good work.-

JAFOE.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 109

09/07/2007 10:28 AM

Hi

nerve action is a pulse-frequency coded signal.

An individual pulse is triggered if a comparator threshhold is crosses by some input signal.

Input signal is a chemical voltage generator.

Typical voltages are 0.2 and 0.7V for low and high Level.

A signal on a verve has very limited velocity as it takes aroung 0.1 to 0.3 seconds per meter!.

So what do you think may be resonant?

This is not a linear system, so there may be resonances but not obeying linear laws of resonances but much different to this it is possible to excite oscillations with sub- or higher harmonics of the oscillating frequency.

Idea ist interesting but I do not see the mechnism.

RHABE

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #6

09/08/2007 12:58 AM

"So what do I think may be resonant?"

From the original post.

"The spinal cord alone presents a thin continuously conductive material. This component is further lengthened by the Brain Stem at one end and Cauda Equina at the other."

And continue up in frequency to the molecular resonant frequency of the Hydrogen Dioxide molecule. This should give us a few choices.

Good Answers: 109
In reply to #10

09/08/2007 3:55 PM

Hi Gavilan,

"The spinal cord alone presents a thin continuously conductive material."

I agree. But the Q-factor is pretty bad and it is not at all comparable to a metallic conductor.

A metallic conductor of this length would have around 10MHz as first resonant ferquency and many others that are higher in frequency.

But there is no wave transmission on nerves. Nerves function is by firing impulses with varying frequency. And velocity is pretty slow, somewhere in the region of 0.1 to 10 m/s.

I agree that radar (and radio) frequencies can do much damage: two mechanisms known: first is simple heating coupled inductively or capacitively or both, second is high field strength that deteriorates natural nerve potentials.

As there are different nonlinear mechanisms (not really known to me) there will be some rectifying and thus some DC potential with damaging possibility.

So in principle I agree that there may be dangers but I think in much different ways than you assume.

RHABE

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 143

09/07/2007 12:09 PM

There is a great leap of faith in simply saying that a synapse can be modeled as a high Q inductor. And, on that leap hangs much of your argument. I found your posting interesting, but lacking in citations.

There are a significant number of neurobiologists/neurophysiologists/neurologists/EEs looking at modeling the nervous system. Can you tie in your possibilities to any of this research?

The point can be raised that fresh ideas don't come from folks who have a vested interest in the Status Quo but, at least in the US, you will never be allowed to test human subjects without the support of a fair number of those people.

Tom

In reply to #8

09/08/2007 1:34 AM

Thanks for your great reply Tom. Your time and thought is appreciated.

I can't find in my original post where I mentioned anything about "a synapse." Please point it out to me. The leap appears to have been made by someone else. But seeing how its been mentioned, what is the oxidation potential of the surrounding sheath?

It is a good and wise thing to have a few EEs added at the end there, but maybe get them from out behind the machinery and TALK to them a bit. Matter of fact, maybe you should ramp it up a bit and teach the neurologists/physiologists/neurologists how to calculate the whole wave resonant frequency of a long thin inductor, or even go whole hog and teach them how to calculate true and apparent induced power in a resonant circuit. Your only talking a few more hours of classroom. Heck, they may even better understand/interact with the test equipment they deal with every day as a result.

It's more than the status quo Tom; it epitomizes the dichotomy of science. Perhaps it covers the spectrum from diagnostics, medical telemetry, identification, and surveillance, to weapons with the selective lethality of a sniper. If this were the case, where do you think the research dollars would go Tom? Do you think I could Google Electrical Resonance and the Human Body and get anything meaningful? Not likely. If the scientific elite and Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower defined in his final address to congress were forced to choose between truth and power, what choice do you think they would make?

Until the debate of fundamental physical phenomena can be exclusionary to biophysics, we have an issue here. The only question that remains is if the comfortably numb experts have an operational moral compass; and the courage to peak over the edge of their professionally delimited boxes.

Gavilan

Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #11

09/08/2007 3:11 AM

Why dont you refer this issue to IEEE(Institute of electrical and electranic engineers) where a lot of work goes on with medical electranics.

crm

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #11

09/08/2007 3:12 PM

Gavilan,

I apologize for misunderstanding your post. I thought you were talking about em effects during a synapse and you apparently weren't.

09/07/2007 4:05 PM

I have seen first hand the results of very low freq radiation on materials. Currents produced by VFDs that drive air pumps and compressors can wear motor bearings out just by the subtle vibrations alone. Often in various manufacturing plants, the ultra low vibrations are such that if various components that are stored are not rotated they will show wear patterns. Taking it a step further, I have also witnessed various chemical reactions and even oxidation of oils that were the result of being in close prox to energy sources. Plant works that come down with various health issues may be exposed to these sources of seemingly harmless sources of radiation which in fact may be affecting their cells.

Very interesting premise. Excellent as a matter of fact!

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 87

09/08/2007 10:08 PM

The nervous system is an electrochemical system, and myelin is essentially the insulation for the wires. Myelin is essentially fat, and when it breaks down and does not provide the proper insulation the result is essentially a short circuit.

I guess I have not seeing how your resonance issue relates to myelin breakdown.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #15

09/09/2007 12:16 AM

Thanks for the reply Steve.

The affect could be direct, example, the induced voltage exceeds the oxidation potential of the myelin and the myelin begins to oxidize without autoimmune response.

Or, perhaps, the most minute oxidation may trigger what I believe is called an "autoimmune response" and the body itself begins to attack the chemically altered substance.

Another possibility: The transient voltage induced may trigger the body to increase the action potential to compensate, in doing so, the action potential wears or oxidizes the sheath directly causing demyelination or triggering autoimmune response.

I wish to move away from this topic and close my comments by reiterating my belief that fundamental physical phenomena are universally inherent, meaning, if the conditions exist for it to occur, it will occur, whether it be in a tether attached to a satellite or the spinal cord of a goat.

Obviously, I don't have all the answers but I hope our discourse has triggered the imagination of one or more individuals who have the will, incentive, and knowledge to explore the possibilities and the moral direction to chose the just path in application.

Gavilan.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); Cardio07 (1); crm (2); Gavilan (3); Mike Holloway (1); RHABE (2); Steve S. (1); TVP45 (2); Wrenched (2)

Previous in Forum: Ergonomics of Architectural Hardware   Next in Forum: Human Iris Authentication

Advertisement