CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: It's National Science Fiction Day! Who Knew?   Next in Forum: Falcon Heavy is Sitting on the Launchpad
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru
CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

Good Answers: 15

Books for Engineers

01/03/2018 4:25 PM

Here's an interesting list of books for engineers; I'm posting it here in case you missed the Engineering360 article. Do you agree with the choices? Would you add or change any of them?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 429

Re: Books for Engineers

01/03/2018 9:04 PM

Interesting that there's no mention of a book on ethics...

In reply to #1

01/04/2018 8:28 AM

I suggest taking a look at book suggestion #3: The Making of an Expert Engineer, by James Trevelyan.

Although there no specific chapters on professional ethics and morals, Trevalyan deals with these issues across 2 chapters dealing with sustainability, and on engineers living and working in low-income, corrupt, and Third World countries, by providing at least 2 detailed case studies. Read up on "Kanemex", and separately, the provision of drinking water in LICs, namely Pakistan.

If you're asking this question, I highly recommend this book. Expensive, but worth every penny I spent

P.S.: There are online appendices to the book available at

http://staffhome.ecm.uwa.edu.au/~00006605/eng-work/MoEE-Appendices/Guide%20to%20Appendices%20140913.html

or as a zip file at the publisher's website:

https://www.crcpress.com/The-Making-of-an-Expert-Engineer/Trevelyan/p/book/9781138026926

Other interesting writings by the author on the related topics of the engineering profession and practice are on his website:

https://jamesptrevelyan.com/

Happy Hunting!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 97

01/03/2018 10:49 PM

I would add "Tesla: Inventor Of The Electrical Age" by W. Bernard Carlson.

Hooker

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 81

01/04/2018 5:48 AM

This one is on my bookshelf waiting to be read. Looks good with many of Newey's hand drawn technical sketches.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12

01/04/2018 12:02 PM

In the category of a summer-engineering-type-of-read, it seems like the list should include

''To Engineer Is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design''

if learning from (others) experience/failures is a primary goal of doing better engineering at all...

CR4 Admins - CR4 Moderator - CR4 Moderator United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member

In reply to #5

01/04/2018 2:39 PM

Another great Henry Petroski book. Thanks!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 12
In reply to #6

01/04/2018 3:27 PM

And, thank you.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 631

01/04/2018 6:12 PM

I have a couple great books on engineering I'd recommend.

A great history of the burgeoning computer age is 'Soul of a New Machine' by Tracy Kidder. I especially like it because the book tangentially mentions the early days of supermarket scanners, including a system I worked on. (I also liked his book 'House', a story of a couple having a 'bespoke' house designed and built by an architect.)

Computers and espionage come together in a fascinating book, 'The Cuckoo's Egg' By Cliff Stoll. I believe the story was a 'Nova' episode.

On my shelf waiting for me are two books: 'Backyard Ballistics' by William Gurstelle, and 'What If?' by Randall Munroe, the guy who does the tech-oriented comic strip XKCD.

In reply to #8

01/05/2018 9:00 AM

I really enjoyed both of the Kidder books you mention. The first online library catalog system we had at Carnegie Mellon ran on a Data General machine -- the one whose creation Kidder described in the book. For some reason I remember one of the designers opining that an early design "just hung a bag on the side" of an existing machine, whatever that meant.

Cuckoo's Egg is a fun read. Wasn't Cliff Stoll controversial for some reason?

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 241
In reply to #8

01/05/2018 11:48 AM

He also has a few "What ifs" online

https://what-if.xkcd.com/

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - New Member

Good Answers: 8

01/05/2018 10:03 AM

The Martian is the best barely-sci-fi I've read. Full of real technical details. The movie version is also very good, but they had to leave out a lot for the general public.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 157

01/05/2018 4:46 PM

I should get one of those, but wow, where to start.

I have about zero time to read for the pleasure of it any more.

Good Answers: 8

01/05/2018 10:02 PM

I would add "Inviting Disaster-Lessons Learned from the Edge of Technology".

by James R.Chiles.

The paperback edition was printed in 2002, and opens with an analysis of the World Trade disaster on 9-11-01, offering enough detail to answer any conspiracy hack.

Additionally the book deals with many famous, or more properly, infamous disasters including Bhopal, Three Mile Island and the Apollo 13 incident.

Mr. Chiles examines the root causes of each, and is a wonderful read for anyone interested in risk management, in that how it describes how often the most minute detail can cause a failure of a whole system.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

BestInShow (2); Casper71 (1); Hooker (1); James Stewart (1); Julian Grodzicky (1); MR. Guest (2); Nigh (1); RAMConsult (1); Randall (1); SSCpal (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: It's National Science Fiction Day! Who Knew?   Next in Forum: Falcon Heavy is Sitting on the Launchpad

Advertisement