CR4® - The Engineer's Place for News and Discussion®

Previous in Forum: A Fourth Spatial Dimension...Is This Where the Ghosts Live?   Next in Forum: Art From The Big Planet
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Guru
Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 38

IOS11 Deviates From Standard SMS Protocol

01/08/2018 3:47 PM

Let me start this by saying I still have a flip phone, this is my choice. I have never had a smartphone and I don’t really want one. The reasons for not wanting one are my own but that is not what this is about. The flip phone I have is old and has been the same phone I have been using for at least 5 years now but it works fine for my purposes except for a recent issue.

I started noticing that I was having a problem receiving text messages from some of my family. I can’t say I like texting and would rather just call someone (again for my own reasons) but at times getting or sending a short text is convent. I started noticing that I would get either blank texts or partial text messages that were obviously cut off or texts that were broken up into multiple texts.

After a bit of searching I discovered that the problem lay with I phones and more specifically the update to IOS 11. The problem as it turns out is that Apple by default enabled smart punctuation, this deviates from standard sms protocol. Having smart punctuation on by default means that any time punctuation is used the text will act weird or simply not go through.

The solution if you can call it that is to have anyone who sends a texts to a flip phone turn off smart punctuation which is an option in the keyboard settings on the I phone. It is difficult to have everyone make this change and unfortunate that it is causing an issue.

I wonder how many others out there are having this same problem?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1190

Re: IOS11 deviates from standard SMS protocol

01/08/2018 5:09 PM

I think the new texting is cool, you can send little animated characters...Your phone is falling behind the new capabilities of today's technology.... thinking time will stand still and wait for you to make a decision to upgrade, is not realistic....phone years, like dog years, are accelerated to 1 phone year = 20 people years

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/ios-11-tips-tricks-apple-11200179

Good Answers: 187
In reply to #1

01/08/2018 10:50 PM

I tried to check out your link, but it is so hard to avoid the ads everywhere, that I soon gave up.

I think your 1:20 ratio for smartphones is pretty close. I have my iPhone (6s+) with me almost constantly, and use it frequently, but I have my MacBook Pro with me almost as much of the time, and it seems like almost anything I can do on the phone, I can do more easily on the Mac.

I did upgrade to IOS 11.2.2 this afternoon, with no problems.

Good Answers: 1190
In reply to #6

01/09/2018 12:10 AM

Yes I have a 6+ and use my desk top most of the time, it's much easier to work in the larger format for me as well....I have 2 laptops that I use occasionally, one I just bought to replace the older one, but in truth the older one still works fine, just a little slower, it's an i5 and the new one is i7, both Compaqs...I'm trying to get used to voice control with the new one, it takes some practice...but just foolin around it's kinda cool, once you get the idea what you can command by speech and what is likely to be a problem, it's actually much easier....

United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 177

01/08/2018 5:11 PM

“The solution if you can call it that is to have anyone who sends a texts to a flip phone turn off smart punctuation which is an option in the keyboard settings on the I phone. It is difficult to have everyone make this change and unfortunate that it is causing an issue.”

So your answer is for everyone to change the settings on their phones so that curmudgeonly dinosaurs can stay in contact with the world.

I don’t like my smart phone, I just have to live with it.

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #2

01/09/2018 8:29 AM

TBH I sympathise with the curmudgeonly dinosaur who expects adherence to a standard protocol. I would expect any deviations to be backwards compatible.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 12

01/08/2018 5:12 PM

It may just be that I am cynical, but I wonder if making older hardware obsolete is their intent.

Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Member Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - Member

Good Answers: 631

01/08/2018 5:30 PM

I have an iphone, but I always wait a long time before I do the software updates. More often than not, some glitch shows up after release that wasn't found in testing. As I understand it, there are a few glitches with the latest Apple OS release, including a glitch where typing the pronoun 'I' sometimes yields a small empty box and a question mark. I've also heard this has been fixed, but I still see it sometimes.

I seldom send imogi (imogis?) except for a few basic ones that have been around since the early days of the internet. And nearly every time I've gotten a text with imogis in it, the person spelled out what the imogis were for anyway, so it just took more characters to say the same thing.

I also turned off the stupid autocorrect feature. Their dictionary seldom recognizes many of the technical words I use, so rather than having to fix a mis-autocorrected word, I shut it off. Which means I probably have autopunctuation shut off too.

And since I'm sounding like Mr Curmudgeon, I might as well also mention I have Siri shut off. I hate it.

So in other words, I may just have the dumbest smartphone on the planet.

Associate

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #4

01/08/2018 10:33 PM

Try writing real English rather than US English, what a pain!

That also applies to Google.

And what gives with us here in New Zealand having Windows set to US English as default, why on earth is it not set to real English?

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1606
In reply to #5

01/09/2018 10:29 AM

Because you use words like lorry for truck, offsider for partner, petrol for gasoline and so on.

The USA English used here could never cope with that and would surely crash.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

Good Answers: 157
In reply to #11

01/09/2018 11:29 AM

Don't forget, mate, to put some petrol in your lorry, or your offsider will get her knickers in a wad.

Have you noticed (if you ever use closed captioning) on your TV that the "English" typed there just keeps getting worse and worse with spelling, and words that are not in context with the conversational meaning?

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #4

01/09/2018 5:33 PM

On the contrary, you have a smartphone that knows the limits you set and keeps to them. Congratulations.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 13

Re: IOS11 Deviates From Standard SMS Protocol

01/09/2018 8:18 AM

My wife and I both have old phones. If someone sends an emogi, the text turns to nothing but squares after the first emogi. I don't care. If someone really wants to get ahold of me they will have to try another way.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

Good Answers: 46

01/09/2018 9:30 AM

At 58 years young, I am not a dinosaur by any stretch. I insist on keeping my knowledge and skills up to date. In a world moving as fast as we are, to fall behind one single technological advance will leave you out of touch with the actual world. Without this basic knowledge and these foundational skills, you quickly become obsolete as technology keeps advancing and building on the tech that you don't understand.

I can not imagine not having the instant access to knowledge that my smart phone gives me, not to mention pictures of grand kids, wonderful texts from the 10yo and just now starting, the 7yo. I play Minecraft with them on tablets and my phone and can use all of "their" favorite apps just like they do. As a result, I am a part of their electronic life and wouldn't give up the pictures for the world. Nothing like being part of their Christmas via video while sick in bed at home like I was this year.

No, I can not help you my friend other than to ask you to reconsider your "reasons" and join the party!

In reply to #10

01/09/2018 5:42 PM

I am younger than you but age has nothing to do with my choice to keep my flip phone. I simply don't like the culture that is always looking down at their phone and not at the world around them. It might be nice to look something up online that moment but I prefer to think about whatever it was and look it up later if I need to. If I forget to look up whatever it was then it wasn't important. To be honest a lot of what I want to look up can't be found online and has to be figured out. I don't have any grand kids to look at pictures of or show them that I am up with the times. Despite not having a smartphone I do have a few android tablets windows and Linux laptops and desktops. I spend most of my day looking at a computer screen and plenty of online time as it is. I have more than a handful of raspberry pi's running things like my 3d printer, my tv and my pixel holiday lights. I have programmed pic micro controllers for various projects for fun. I have a number of ardunino's and use them for things like running grbl for cnc control. Lately I have been playing with the esp8266 chip and I find technology amazing and useful. I end up being tech support for my family and they often find it ironic that I don't have a smartphone because I use way more technology than most of them do. I don't think not having a smartphone makes me behind the times. I use technology everyday, if anything I find not having a smartphone gives me more time spend thinking and create my own future technology.

All of this doesn't matter because my post was about apple not adhering to a standard for whatever reason. The lack of a standard keyboard has caused more than just issues with flip phone users. It also causes issues with various apps and anything that is expecting a standard in terms of input from a keyboard. Being a user of technology I find adhering to basic standards very important for both past and future development. If the standard needs to be updated that is a different issue.

Register to Reply
Guru

01/09/2018 12:00 PM

I get messages like that on my up-to-date Android smartphone from IOS users with messages longer than a line or two.

Something else is going on.

Safety - Hazmat - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - Old Hand

In reply to #13

01/09/2018 1:45 PM

...the matrix is going on....if you don't upgrade...you effectively took the blue red blue red pill. You will be chased by the agents of the matrix tirelessly, until you submit, or be neutralized. Sorry. This message expires and will self-destruct in 30 seconds, or until I get my movie scripts sorted.

In reply to #13

01/09/2018 5:13 PM

Smart punctuation is actually causing more problems than just for flip phone users. It also is causing issues with various apps and other communication devices that rely on standard outputs from a keyboard.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 46
In reply to #15

01/09/2018 5:30 PM

Apple does not have a very promising history of playing well with others. Just ask the FBI.

Good Answers: 1606
In reply to #16

01/09/2018 6:08 PM

I'm with Apple on this one.

The FBI wanted not just the phone unlocked, but the combination to the vault, so to speak. They wanted all the work product that Apple had developed to give their customers security from hacking. Then, within a week, it would have been in the hands of every hacker on the planet.

Also, if you recall, the phone was compromised by some unknowing person in law enforcement (not Apple) who tried to break into the phone and instead erased all the data that could have been harvested by the right person with adequate knowledge.

I have an Andriod phone from Motorola, my former employer, which I like very much for the ability to take excellent photographs. I tell my wife that iphones are for sissies. (we all know that's not really true)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #19

01/10/2018 11:57 AM

I agree with you, given the torrent of leaks gushers from the FBI in the last couple of years.

Pretty much, if you want something spread around, tell it not to a regular field agent, just the higher ups.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Deefburger (1); dkwarner (1); frankd20 (2); GJM (1); harley (1); James Stewart (3); lyn (2); phph001 (2); rashavarek (2); SolarEagle (2); TonyS (1); Troy36 (1); Usbport (1)

Previous in Forum: A Fourth Spatial Dimension...Is This Where the Ghosts Live?   Next in Forum: Art From The Big Planet

Advertisement