Previous in Forum: SEXTANT, a "GPS System" for Deep Space   Next in Forum: Falcon Heavy
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 144

Galactic Chaos? No, Not Really.

02/02/2018 10:24 AM

More information to challenge conventional thinking.

"Scientists thought the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies were unique: They’ve got rings of smaller dwarf galaxies orbiting in what seems to be a synchronized fashion. But when a team of scientists recently looked at another galaxy, they realized it also seemed to shepherd a flock of dwarfs in a strange, synchronized dance. That’s not supposed to happen.

An international team of four researchers noticed the behavior in the elliptical Centaurus A galaxy, 30 million light years away from our own Milky Way. Dwarf galaxies should travel randomly around their parent, based on the standard theory of how galaxies form. Seeing yet another galaxy with this strange behavior is highly unlikely, and calls into question the very model that scientists use to understand structure in our universe. " more

Just a little more evidence to support a theory of mine that the effects of gravitational clusters (technical term) effect what's going on much further away than anyone can comprehend or measure.

This reminds me of Saturn, but different!

nothing to do with spooky action at a distance.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 269

Re: Galactic chaos.?. No not really

02/02/2018 10:36 AM

"they realized it also seemed to shepherd a flock of dwarfs in a strange, synchronized dance."

Were they also singing, follow the yellow brick road?

In reply to #1

02/02/2018 12:33 PM

Either that or Safety Dance.

Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - Hazmat - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - Fish On! United States - Member - New Member

In reply to #2

02/02/2018 1:39 PM

Don't you mean the "Sulu Dance"?

Re: Galactic Chaos? No, not really.

02/02/2018 1:45 PM

Out of chaos comes order. Interesting read, thanks. The hexagon on Saturn's north pole is quite astounding.

In reply to #4

Re: Galactic Chaos? No, not really.

02/02/2018 6:26 PM

I can't hear the word 'hex: without thinking about Muhammad Ali's twin daughters from middle school.

Hex nah

(Not on Google)

.. I wish I knew about this then.

I would have said hex yes!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Re: Galactic Chaos? No, Not Really.

02/02/2018 7:49 PM

The more we know, the more we don't know!

I have to say that Saturn's beauty is something else... I did not see the hexagon before. Has anyone posited an explanation of it?

Good Answers: 242
In reply to #6

02/03/2018 12:41 AM

I've seen the hexagon quite a few times now, but only within the last year or so...

I too would like to hear possible explanations of it. Bees make them, but to my knowledge, only in matrices, not singles. It's pretty hard to think of it as a result of evolution, at least in the senses involved in plants, animals and geology. That las one may be the closest...

In reply to #6

02/03/2018 7:22 AM

Good Answers: 242
In reply to #8

02/03/2018 10:27 AM

Thanks for those links. The Wiki article says the hexagon rotates with the same period as the radio waves from the interior. This hints to me that there is a layer of some solid structure at some depth below those clouds, and that there is more to the hex than just interactions of winds around a jet stream.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

artsmith (1); dkwarner (2); JE in Chicago (2); JPool (4)

Previous in Forum: SEXTANT, a "GPS System" for Deep Space   Next in Forum: Falcon Heavy

Advertisement