Previous in Forum: Galactic Chaos? No, Not Really.   Next in Forum: Aerodynamics: Flow Difference Between Supersonic and Hypersonic
Close
Close
Close
52 comments
Commentator
Safety - Hazmat - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 1

Falcon Heavy

02/05/2018 11:23 PM

Who’s watching this tomorrow? Heard it is the most powerful rocket ever. But Sat V had 7.5 mil lb thrust. Is this just hype? The man has balls (and money) for sure to say it has a 50/50 chance.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1701

Re: Falcon Heavy

02/05/2018 11:33 PM

It's just down the beach a ways, probably watch it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falcon_Heavy

In reply to #1

02/06/2018 2:49 PM

Watch live...update: launch window moved to 3:45 pm ET

"UPDATE: Liftoff window has been delayed to 3:45 p.m. ET.

On Tuesday afternoon, a rocket the size of a 20-story building, containing 27 engines and a cherry-red Tesla Roadster as its payload, is slated to lift off from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. It will be the maiden flight of Space X’s Falcon Heavy, the most powerful rocket to launch in 45 years, since NASA’s Saturn V, which last flew in 1973."

In reply to #8

02/06/2018 3:55 PM

Tesla with StarMan driver in space!!

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926
In reply to #9

02/11/2018 11:43 PM

I wonder how long the batteries will last?

Safety - Hazmat - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

In reply to #1

02/06/2018 4:08 PM

I was impressed with the whole thing, especially the coordinated booster landings. Were you able to see that live and in person? I guess maybe the middle booster crashed?

Guru

In reply to #10

02/06/2018 4:32 PM

Yes I can see it from here, feel it, hear it...It's exciting to watch...really magnificent...

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #10

02/06/2018 4:44 PM

Middle booster is trickier because it's landing on a barge in the ocean. This leads to a harder touchdown so they probably will have to examine it to be sure that it is reusable. That would be my guess on the delay.

The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

In reply to #14

02/07/2018 7:44 AM

Nope, looks like the middle booster hit the drone ship at 300 mph. Apparently, two of the engines necessary to slow it's decent didn't fire. Still a pretty big success though, even with this understandable failure to recover a new type of booster.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #16

02/07/2018 8:05 AM

There's another reason for trying to land on a barge at sea, scattered water does not become shrapnel.

In reply to #17

02/07/2018 8:12 AM

lol, good point.

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #16

02/07/2018 2:51 PM

Last night Spacex announced they ran out of a liquid used to ignite the engines for the final burn and only one lit, but two didn't. The control program for the landing has the booster coming down to one side of the barge until the last instant and then if things look good, a final correction is done to put it on the dot. The last video before the drone barge picture was lost looked a lot like steam and water rather than flame and shrapnel.

Guru

In reply to #22

02/07/2018 10:22 PM

I wonder if the missing fuel is why the payload overshot its orbital velocity vector.

In reply to #23

02/08/2018 11:07 AM

No missing fuel. They ran the insertion booster as long as possible to see what it would do. It ran longer than expected, and the result was that the payload perihelion went nearly to the asteroid belt. If I understand the diagrams, the orbit is highly elliptical with the high point near the asteroid belt and the low point near earth orbit. I suppose it's possible that one day it will become a near earth object and when it collides with the earth a few thousand years in the future, whomever finds it will conclude that it's proof of intelligent life out there.

Guru

In reply to #25

02/08/2018 11:11 AM

I was referring to the presumed missing fuel that prevented the middle booster from slowing down for a safe landing on the barge, not any missing fuel for the insertion booster that they never expected to recover.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #26

02/09/2018 2:51 AM

The engines are individually ignited by a hypergolic fuel-oxidizer.

Elon Musk explained that the center booster core consumed an unexpectedly large amount of the hypergolic igniter, leaving too little for the landing burn. Only one engine lit (the center), instead of three in-a-line as required for part of the landing burn.

(I had been speculating that when a problem occurred igniting one of the perimeter engines, the software was not prepared to immediately try a different pair. However, Elon did not say this.)

There was a telescope aimed at one of the side boosters during the Cape Canaveral landing. You can see how the center engine was lit, then two more on opposite sides of the perimeter, then back to only the center engine. The length of time the trio operated was calculated to slow the booster core to zero velocity at exactly touchdown.

This process of using three Merlin engines during part of the landing burn was tested on the previous Falcon-9 flight, and proved that less propellant was consumed.

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #28

02/16/2018 8:36 PM

Correction: the ignitor is TEA-TEB pyrophoric fuel which is hypergolic together with LOX.

Good Answers: 47
In reply to #22

02/08/2018 1:07 AM

I re-watched the launch and I'm sure I saw three engines fire on the second stage before they cut to the boosters landing. Maybey they only lit for a moment. The center engine ran fine I think. It lit up first. So maybe something happened to some fuel flow to the other two engines.

In reply to #10

02/12/2018 7:57 AM

Yes, the simultaneous landing of 2 boosters was most impressive; I heard the 3rd booster missed the landig barge in the Atlantic and sank.

The Engineer

02/06/2018 9:43 AM

Not most powerful ever, but most powerful active. I'm interested to see if they are able to recover all three 1st stage boosters. That would be huge. Also hoping it doesn't blow up, that also would be really good.

Apparently, if successful, this Falcon Heavy will launch Elon's Tesla Roadster into a trans-Mars orbit. Perhaps setting up a triumphant retrieval several decades from now when Elon has his Mars colony up an running.

Guru

In reply to #2

02/06/2018 10:25 AM

I wonder how long it will take for a Tesla Roadster on Mars to recharge using just solar panels?

In reply to #3

02/06/2018 11:18 AM

How many panels?

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 403
In reply to #4

02/13/2018 1:44 PM

does Tesla Roadster come with a trailer hitch?

In reply to #49

02/13/2018 2:05 PM

Anything Elon wants on his vehicle he gets. That should be obvious.

In reply to #2

02/06/2018 12:28 PM

I thought you were joking about the Tesla Roadster. I guess this is Elon's way to prove the lift capability.

In reply to #5

02/06/2018 1:35 PM

lol, that's exactly what he's doing. Sometimes reality is weirder than fiction! I feel like it could have been colonization supplies or something else more practical. Then again, it's his company so I suppose if he wants to shoot his car into a trans-Mars orbit, it's his right.

Guru

Good Answers: 165
In reply to #6

02/06/2018 2:03 PM

A good PR stunt, but it is also a good "proof of concept", before more valuable cargo (humans) are sent.

Good Answers: 36
In reply to #7

02/12/2018 12:02 AM

Who's the public relations with, martians ? He could of sent up a box of half eaten Twinkies, as far as most people care.

Guru

In reply to #32

02/12/2018 7:59 AM

Twinkies do not have a similar mass nor density of a communication satellite or deep space probe, an under used roadster does.

In reply to #36

02/12/2018 4:06 PM

Need mass and density? Go to home depot and pick up 40, 50lb bags of concrete mix

Guru

In reply to #42

02/12/2018 9:48 PM

Would you blog for days about Home Depot concrete in space?

In reply to #44

02/13/2018 1:44 AM

Maybe not, but 40 bags of concrete would sure cost a whole lot less than $ 200,000

Guru

In reply to #5

02/07/2018 2:45 PM

Our group of watchers decided that the roadster/payload adapter is going to make a great participation trophy for the aliens who find it.

Anybody ever read "Motels of Mystery"?

By the way, we loved the DON'T PANIC on the roadsters display screen.

Guru

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #21

02/12/2018 10:19 AM

Did he "take a Towel?"

In reply to #37

02/12/2018 10:32 AM

I'm told there was a copy of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and a towel in the glove compartment.

Guru
Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #5

02/13/2018 7:47 AM

I see a concept for a Hollywood movie in the making.... it goes something like this...

"With the ISS completing a very crucial experiment to save mankind,... and explosion occurs,... Where the ISS station is crippled and is in a decaying orbit,... all power out,... they have 24 hours to power up to bring it back to a stable orbit and their only chance is to find Elon's car and pull the batteries jury-rig it to save the ISS and its experiment data. To save a very crucial experiment that will save mankind."

yep,... this stuff writes itself.

but I don't deserve all the credit... there was another movie where they took the batteries off a old soviet lander on the moon to get off the moon, I think Matt Damen was in it,... I think I'll run this past him and see if he's interested.

probably won't work,... when they get to the car,... it has a tire lo-jack on and the windshield is full of parking tickets... maybe yet another 'Airplane' sequel though...

Good Answers: 80
In reply to #46

02/13/2018 9:46 AM

35 years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_KXgFpguE0

In reply to #47

02/13/2018 9:54 AM

there was one within the past 10 years... now I have to find it... so I'm not hit with a copyright infringement.

Good Answers: 1661

02/06/2018 4:15 PM

I watched it live. It reminded me of the old days when we'd all skip out of work and go across the street to a department store and watch the launches on a big screen TV.

I'm not involved any more, but it was still exciting to watch.

I wonder if Elon's Tesla had any batteries inside it?

Power-User

Good Answers: 4

02/06/2018 4:19 PM

Here's the replay. The launch happens about 30 minutes into video.

Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 111

02/06/2018 10:43 PM

Wow. I haven't been that excited or impressed since I worked for NASA in the '60's and '70's.

SpaceX might just get people excited again, even if the center booster didn't survive the barge landing. The simultaneous landings back at the Cape were a momentous event, IMO.

Hooker

The Engineer

In reply to #15

02/07/2018 1:34 PM

The thing I really like from SpaceX is they seem to learn quickly from failure. I think this was their first attempt at landing a booster of this type (I hadn't realized it was different than the side boosters.). It will be fun to watch them figure it out and get it working over the next few Falcon Heavy launches.

My reaction when I saw the Falcon Heavy loss was "Wow, this could be the start of something important if we don't somehow screw it all up"

Guru

In reply to #15

02/12/2018 12:18 AM

Get people excited again ? I doubt it. Anybody that does watch the launch will say, " that's neat or that's cool, then flip the channel to watch something like, naked and afraid.

If musk really wanted people to get excited, he would launch a whole lot of little rockets into earth orbit and build a ship in space, then launch that to the red planet.

Then each launch and build could be an episode, then people would be hanging onto their seats waiting for next week's show.

Guru

In reply to #15

02/12/2018 2:53 PM

SpaceX might just get people excited again,

When you look at a video at the people that work there, it appears everyone there not only enjoys what they do, but also takes their work personally.

Something that seems to have cooled off since the Apollo Missions.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #39

02/12/2018 3:22 PM

As one who was at NASA during the Apollo program I can certainly validate your feelings. We felt the fear of failure, and excitement and pride of the successes no matter which center we worked at. I envy the crew at SpaceX immensely, and through them, can relive NASA's glory days.

Hooker

Guru

In reply to #40

02/12/2018 3:25 PM

I both envy them,.. and don't want to be them...

From experience, having drive like that can be self-consuming.

In reply to #39

02/12/2018 4:18 PM

Of course the people that work there would be excited, come Friday there is a paycheck in your name. Nothing worse than going to school for 10 years and finding your an out of work engineer. The people that need to be excited are the ones that don't work there.

Guru

02/07/2018 11:20 AM

I literally laughed and cried when those two boosters came down together! Beautiful! What an amazing achievement!

Good Answers: 4

02/08/2018 11:30 AM

I hadn't seen anything about this leading up to the event -- I'm so oblivious -- but a friend of mine linked the livestream as it was going on. So awesome to see.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Location: Vancleave, Ms about 30 miles inland from Biloxi and the coast
Good Answers: 105

02/11/2018 2:44 PM

I would suspect the Tesla roadster had the batteries and motors removed. The roaster is probably the shell only.

In reply to #29

02/11/2018 4:53 PM

Nope, Elon said it is a full car.

Good Answers: 24

02/12/2018 7:54 AM

Falcon Heavy was not billed as "the most powerful rocket ever", just that it would be "the most powerful rocket in use today". The most powerful ever is in the design stages now. The first BFR, (Big Falcon Rocket), could be launched in the early 2020s.

02/23/2018 2:14 PM

Astronomers give us one last look of this Roadster. AFAIK no provision for a long range RF communication has been made. Maybe a radio telescope or even the Allen array can still pick up a signal.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

avid0g (2); Bayes (6); Deefburger (3); Dr. Harry (1); Hooker (2); Jpfalt (4); Kilowatt0 (1); lyn (1); merph (1); phoenix911 (5); rashavarek (2); redfred (10); ronseto (1); sadibo (1); SolarEagle (5); terrapin (1); tonyhemet (5); wmerryall (1)

Previous in Forum: Galactic Chaos? No, Not Really.   Next in Forum: Aerodynamics: Flow Difference Between Supersonic and Hypersonic

Advertisement