Previous in Forum: PH of Feed Water in Steam Drum   Next in Forum: Finding the Flat Length of a Bent Steel Metal
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Motor and Gears = Coupled (Torque)

03/26/2018 7:41 AM

I have an Ac induction motor , 3 phase on whose shaft a 68 tooth helical gear is attached . Then there is formation of gear train , 34 tooth helical gear attached to the 68 tooth gear , and then 16 tooth gear attached with the 34 tooth gear , respectively. I am rotating the 10 hp ac induction motor @ 30 rev/sec. The Omega here is 188.45 rad / sec. .5kw is taken as heat loss and the torque of the first gear is calculated to be 37.14 Nm. I wanted to calculate the torque that will be present on the 16 tooth gear , considering the loss of power trabsmission is 15%. When I and my friend did that , we were getting sepratee answer. Also we came to know that the motor we are using is not apt for such a task . The load is taken to be 2 kg.

I am not a mechanical engineer , I search on website about it but could not find much . So :-

1) what should be the required torque at the last gear and what is the actual torque considering above scenarios.

2) if I want that the rev/ sec of the 16 tooth gear to be 120 rev/ sec then what shall be the require power of the ac induction motor , that will satisfy the need . Or indirectly what shall be the require torque for it .

3) what is the ac induction spec I should use for such a gear train .

4) I am using such a phenomena cause I am using Tesla model S transmission system and I need a gear train so that 120 rev/sec is the rotation of the last gear .

5) not a mechanical engineer so if this sounds common or too easy , pardon me .

6) what shall I use to drive my gear train @ 2 kg or 1 78 kg load @ the last gear. The torque is too low . Using the transmission power equation P =T * w I can either use higher power motor keeping the Omega of 68 tooth gear as 188.45 rad/sec. I can increase the number of poles from 2 to 4 . Although the neceesary implications I have to check .

What is your opinion? Thanks in adanvce. Any help is appericated.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 833

Re: Motor and gears = coupled ( torque)

03/26/2018 7:53 AM

Torque is something that the load presents to the motor, and not the other way round.

• If this number is less than the motor's maximum output, the motor will drive the load.
  • If this number is greater than the motor's maximum output, the motor will stall.

So, what is the torque/speed characteristic [i.e. the shape of the load curve graph] of the mechanical load (rhetorical question - NNTR)?

Go from there.

United Kingdom - Member - Not a New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 467

Re: Motor and Gears = Coupled (Torque)

03/26/2018 10:23 AM

"The load is... 2kg" is meaningless in this context.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
In reply to #2

03/26/2018 10:35 AM

Quite. The motor that rotates the restaurant at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto, for example, is in the order of 1/4hp.

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1098

03/26/2018 10:38 AM

The available torque from an induction motor is a function of motor speed. The output torque from your gear train would be the gear ratio times the motor torque times the efficiency. As PWSlack stated, the load requires a torque that is a function of speed. Where these two curves cross is the speed and torque which will result. At a lower speed, the motor will have more torque (ΔT) than required and will speed up. At a higher speed, the motor will have less torque and will slow down.

http://www.top-ee.com/speed-control-of-induction-motor/

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #4

03/27/2018 10:01 PM

Thanks , it was helpful and explained nicely .

Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

03/26/2018 10:43 AM

...and where the motor characteristic and the load characteristic intersect, is the "operating point".

Good Answers: 1796

03/26/2018 11:41 AM

A motor is not usually geared up, but geared down....so I would start with a higher rpm motor and gear down....you want to increase the torque at lower speeds and reduce it at higher speed...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); JohnDG (1); PWSlack (3); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: PH of Feed Water in Steam Drum   Next in Forum: Finding the Flat Length of a Bent Steel Metal

Advertisement