Previous in Forum: Charging in Parallel Discharging in Series   Next in Forum: Stepping Down (Adjusting) 400 VDC to 100-380 VDC 20 Amps
Close
Close
Close
20 comments
Commentator

Two Different Transformers (Step Down and Step Up) in Series!

05/06/2018 5:35 AM

Hi,

If we have 2 transformers T1 & T2 connected in series, T1 is step down from 11000V/400V, connected to T2 is step up from 400v/5000V, they are in series, the out of T1 goes to in of T2, the frequency must be 50 HZ.

Is there any possibilities to have variation in frequency during commissioning? so do we need to do synchronization and phase test before commissioning?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 444

Re: 2 Different Transformers (Step Down and Step Up) in Series!

05/06/2018 8:37 AM

Frequency is fixed by input source, phasing must be checked to ensure that all connections are as specified in commissioning documents.

What are your doubts?

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 940
In reply to #1

05/06/2018 9:31 AM

The only way frequency can ever change is by a non-linear transfer function. The only way a transformer becomes non-linear involves core saturation, a fault condition to be avoided for most power distribution transformers. A non-linear load on the secondary of a transformer will create non-linear currents that are harmonics of the fundamental frequency. Still these harmonic frequencies are not altered by the transformer.

Associate

Good Answers: 3
In reply to #2

05/07/2018 9:57 AM

Transformer saturation can NOT possibly change the frequency. It will cause distortion and harmonics, . . . but never change the frequency!

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

In reply to #7

05/07/2018 12:59 PM

Harmonic frequencies are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency and as such they are additional other frequencies. It is true that the fundamental frequency is not altered.

In reply to #7

05/09/2018 12:49 AM

exactly. good to remind.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 180

05/06/2018 12:41 PM

Frequency can’t change unless you’re using a generator.

As for you’re second question, you don’t mention the vector group(s) of the transformers.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 822

05/06/2018 5:02 PM

<...do we need to do synchronization and phase test before commissioning?...>

Two things:

1) The approved-for-use issue of the Commissioning Plan document for this particular installation cannot be seen from here, so

2) The forum cannot know who is going to carry this out.

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

05/06/2018 10:06 PM

The question seems a little strange, can you post a drawing. I assume you mean the output of the step down transformer is fed into the input of the step up transformer, not the input and output windings are wired in series.

I am assuming the step up transformer is being used for something specific, rather than a simple step down from 11kV to 5kV.

In reply to #5

05/07/2018 8:17 AM

Yes, that's what I mean, the step up transformer out put (5000v) 2 phase is fed to ozone generator. is this could effect the frequency? which may cause tripping issues?

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796
In reply to #6

05/07/2018 10:29 AM

Aha, NOW you introduce the term “tripping”!

What is tripping?

Why are you suspecting it has to do with frequency?

I suggest backing up and starting from the beginning. All-in-all, it is HIGHLY more likely to be something MUCH more simple than trying to figure out bizarre ways to make it complicated: the concept popularly known as “Occam’s Razor”.

In reply to #6

05/07/2018 10:38 AM

My guess is that you're trying to blame the ozonator manufacturer so that you can justify why your external circuitry keeps tripping.

There's too much guessing without a schematic and much more detail. Either post the necessary information or contact the manufacturer and get your answers from the best informed source. It would also be appreciated if you would give us feedback on the results of your calls. Engineering via anonymous strangers in a forum is a major fail for your client.

Good Answers: 116

Re: Two Different Transformers (Step Down and Step Up) in Series!

05/07/2018 11:57 AM

my question is why are you using this configuration? Seems an over use of transformers!

Why did you not use a multi-tap Tx for the step down and select your required output voltage?

Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Old Member, New Association

Good Answers: 72

05/07/2018 12:12 PM

What is the rating of your Ozone Generator? Perhaps a few watts? Yes it is possible that there is some current variation in your Ozone Generator load, but that won't affect the primary frequency of your voltage.

This sounds like a large T1 transformer verses a small T2 transformer. I can't imagine a need for a KW rating for an Ozone Generator.

Perhaps you are chasing a coincedence rather than the actual problem. Too many old style DC power supplies can generate a lot of harmonics which increases the likelihood of random circuit breaker trips.

Good Answers: 45

05/07/2018 4:34 PM

Have you been let loose to play with 11KV transformers - and don't know what your doing - because that is what your questions suggest....!

United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member

Location: California, USA, where the Godless live next door to God.
Good Answers: 796
In reply to #13

05/07/2018 5:02 PM

So... you've never hooked up a Neon sign? that's probably what we are discussing here for something like an ozone generator. A few watts, but very high voltage.

It would be courteous for the OP to check back in with the rest of the details though.

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #14

05/08/2018 8:01 AM

From that, are you saying it is perfectly safe to play around with 11kv transformers if you don't know what you are doing.

For my part I have worked on old CRT equipment, not that I was taught or knew much about it - except you could get an almight 'poke' if you touched an anode or got too near when a spark could leapt across the gap - but you could draw an arc with an HT neon tester type screwdriver but feel nothing.

...even so, it is useful to know what you are doing.

05/09/2018 1:03 AM

there is no change in the frequennyy

Register to Reply
Commentator

05/13/2018 8:43 AM

Hi All,

I am not the one who made this kind of arrangement any way, so hold no blame! we are just trying to live with and solve the problem.

The ozonator got a PSU - Power supply unit with constant voltage (5500v) and variable frequency (10 - 1000)Hz,

so still the question is there, is it must be in this case before commissioning the line to consider the frequency?

In other hand, if there is a frequency protection relay on the upstream will it trip? Up stream is 11000v/400v transformer with 50/60Hz, so there is a big change in the frequency in the system?

Here is broucher of the ozonator PDA type:

http://www.mequipco.com/documents/PDO_PDA_2010_Lo_Res.pdf?lbisphpreq=1

in page 3 about PSU with variable frequency to control the O3 concentration.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #18

05/13/2018 8:57 AM

That's like questioning if the variable power PSU in your microwave oven somehow affects the power level in your toaster!! Call the manufacturer and find a qualified engineer to assist you.

In reply to #18

05/13/2018 9:45 AM

I think you are misreading the information you have. The ozonator PSU will successfully work with a power source frequency of 10 to 1000 Hertz. The PSU does not alter this frequency it just has a broad acceptable range of power frequencies it will accept. Thus if you reside in a place with 50 Hz electric power, you are fine. If you reside in a place with 60 Hz electric power you are fine. If you must use an uncontrolled frequency generator power like a throttled ship engine where the generator will vary from 40 Hz to 400 Hz, you are fine.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

brich (1); Fardan (2); horace40 (2); IWANUSIW (1); jack of all trades (1); JRaef (2); NotUrOrdinaryJoe (1); patye91 (2); PWSlack (1); RAMConsult (3); redfred (3); TonyS (1)

Previous in Forum: Charging in Parallel Discharging in Series   Next in Forum: Stepping Down (Adjusting) 400 VDC to 100-380 VDC 20 Amps

Advertisement