Previous in Forum: Cool Walking Beasts   Next in Forum: Dry Vacuum Pumps for Use in Medical Research?
Close
Close
Close
11 comments
Commentator

Cardio vascular device

09/17/2007 8:13 AM

In the event of total heart failure, the victim has a very short time left.

The recommended action to help prolong the life of the victim is to administer CPR.

It has occurred to me that a device to efficiently provide this aid for emergency applications is required.

So how difficult would it be to manufacture a suit to totally encase the patient.

The suit would lay out flat, single dimensionally and could be quickly wrapped around the torso, leg's ams etc and secured by Velcro.

The suit would consist of hundreds of air cells each similar to the method used to compress along the lines of a sphygmomanometer,

The air cells would be lateral to the body and be inflated by computer control.

It does not take a quantum mechanic to realize that this device could artificially induce circulation through out the body, if the inflation and deflation of the cells is correctly programmed. not only could it induce air induction to the lungs. it could be programmed for other purposes such as tourniquet etc.

it could be part of the gurney equipment, it might have saved my son.

GF

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

Re: Cardio vascular device

09/17/2007 8:58 AM

Shortly after receiving formal First Aid training a close friend collapsed. He received CPR until the emergency services arrived. Between everyone present all efforts at revival were unsuccessful, despite him indicating that the CPR technique was working correctly during that pressing time.

While fully respecting and embracing both the emotional and practical drivers for creating the device in this post, any equipment needs to be considered in terms of both it and an appropriately-trained operative being both in the same place at the same time, when time to find it and apply it is simply not available. Inappropriate use of equipment by an untrained person might cause more body damage, and some (not all) administrations would penalise that situation in law very severely.

CPR is intended to be a procedure simply for 'buying time' until the emergency services arrive, equipped with their myriad of existing equipment and with the intention of their using it to stabilise the unfortunate victim. CPR remains a valuable technique for doing this, and can be administered by anyone with relatively simple training and zero equipment. Its success rate is significantly better for the unfortunate victim than doing nothing at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPR

Thank you for finding the courage to raise this important topic for discussion.

09/17/2007 12:08 PM

PWAY.

I am in no way suggesting this device be designed or operated by untrained personel. The fact is , external manipulatin of the heart, although essential, it remains a limited first aid proceedure.

I am refering to the period of transpotation to a hospital. If the brain receives no oxygenated circulation there is little chance of a succesfull recovery.

This proposed device would make circulation possible through out the body even if the heart had stopped. our vascular system abounds with non return valves.

By squeezing and relaxing the major muscles. circulation could be maintained. This particular sequence would be programmed by experts. and used by the emergancy personel. This program would include ventilation and circulation.

The technology to make this a viable device has not been around that long.

Lets not shoot the idea down because it hasnt been done befor.

GF

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #2

09/17/2007 12:14 PM

<Lets not shoot the idea down because it hasnt been done before.>

It didn't seek to do that. The response seeks merely to highlight the value of CPR as a time-buying procedure. Certainly, trained professionals need the best equipment they can obtain.

<Unsubscribes>

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #2

09/17/2007 8:12 PM

gf,

Try to find a research cardiac outfit (like Cleveland Clinic, Texas Heart, Johns Hopkins, etc) and send them your idea. Cardiac guys pioneered the mix of medicine and engineering when they brought in hydraulics folks to help with heart-lung machines and bypass pumps. They should be open to new ideas if there is any merit to it.

Tom

United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: South-east corner of Spain 50 48 49.24N 2 28 27.70W
Good Answers: 31

09/18/2007 3:50 AM

Talk to the people who make the 'G' suits for the fighter pilots! I'm sure they will have done alot of research on this subject!

Good Answers: 143
In reply to #5

09/18/2007 7:30 PM

The real problem, of course, is that the darn thing will have a Windows OS and, half-way through resuscitating somebody, you'll have to reboot.

In reply to #6

09/19/2007 8:09 AM

Although bulky. It might be possible to have brass cylinders with pins sticking out of them,located in strategic places around the periphery. when a cylinder is dropped into the cranking mechanism and rotated at the prescribed RPM/ the pins will actuate spool air valves to control the pneumatic body bag.

Of course a far more progressive idea would be to re design the box which is already standard equipment with emergency crews. it has a couple of electrodes to stimulate the uncooperative muscle (the heart) Just add, a few more electrodes for sequentially stimulating a few other major muscles, to assist in the circulation. it seems to work on dead frog legs?

GF

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #7

02/07/2008 12:10 PM

I think your electro stimulation idea has merit. Muscle stimulators are already in use by weight lifters and other sports participants.

One consideration to this form artificial vascular assistance is the amount of oxygen required by the muscles which are providing the continuous auxillary pumping action.

Another requirement is to provide proper respiratory support. This device must incorporate some external means of electrically stimulating the muscles which compress the chest or cause the diaphram to reflex, perhaps both as in normal breathing.

None of the above criteria are beyond current medical technology. AFAIK you are the first to suggest such a device. Perhaps a patent search is appropiate at this point. Please keep us posted on your quest and for whatever its worth, I'm offering my talents and I'm sure many of us at CD 4 are interested in helping you also.

In reply to #8

02/07/2008 3:24 PM

I was not being serious about using the "musical box" mechanism for operating an external vascular aid. However, the process of circulating blood through out the body can be achieved by external manipulation, in the absence of a pulse, the valves within the heart will still operate. as will those within the veins. Like hand milking a cow, its the way pressure is applied that produces the flow.

I did send a message to the John Hopkins organisation outlining the idea, in the hope of some feed back, with out result.

I am now interested in gas separation using A5 molecular sieve material zeolite etc.

for the removal of nitrogen from the air etc. This may have some medical applications but I intend running heat engines on CO2 mixed with oxygen and fuel.

GF

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #9

02/07/2008 4:20 PM

I did note your clever humor in the first part of your reply #7.

It was the second part which interested me where you propose a modification to existing electronic medical support equipment to provide peripherial blood flow via electro stimulation of skeletal muscles.

Please don't abandon this idea if you have experience with these types of medical devices. Modifications are possible as is new equipment incorporating your ideas.

In reply to #10

02/11/2008 7:36 AM

Dear Kwando

Unfortunately my experience in the medical profession has been limited to to that of a recipient.

However, it is nice to receive a meritorious acknowledgement from an obvious medical indulger.

I recently purchased a $19 gadget for testing pulse and blood pressure.I am sure I could purchase a Chinese made electronic muscle exerciser for the same price.

If these two gadgets were melded. it would be possible to monitor abnormal or loss of pulse and apply healthy regular jolts to the larger muscles you speak of.

The guardsman at Buckingham palace used to drop like flies after standing for long periods on hot Sunday afternoons.

This produced more ooohs! than aahs! from the watchers without. and the guardsmen were forbidden to do it. They were instructed to flex their leg muscles without flinching externally, This had the desired effect. they could stand like statues for days.

GF

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

gfwhell (4); Mr. Truman Brain (1); PWSlack (2); taejonkwando (2); TVP45 (2)

Previous in Forum: Cool Walking Beasts   Next in Forum: Dry Vacuum Pumps for Use in Medical Research?
You might be interested in: Photovoltaic Cells, Fuel Cells, Load Cells

Advertisement