Previous in Forum: Red Gold - Targeting Efficient Production of Martian Precious Metals   Next in Forum: Material Information Sources
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Helicopter to Fixed Wing Pros and Cons

10/31/2018 11:46 AM

I have been noticing allot of advertising this past year from the airlines to military helicopter pilots. The advertising talks about sizable cash bonuses and "quick" retraining and how much the airlines need pilots "right now". I was very young when my dad and mom carried me and my brother aboard an American Airlines DC-3. That was 1947, and for the next 35 years we grew up in an airline family, and actually flew with my dad quite a few times. I got my fixed wing pilots license as a private pilot after high school, so let's say, I have a "feel" for fixed wing flying, and for what is is like to grow up with a pilot for a dad. I post this thread , in the hope to help helicopter pilots in their possible transition to fixed wing flying, and to the transition the "family" goes through in the first years of being an "airline" family. I am new at this, and don't know how many will read or repost, but I'll give it a go. T Y

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Associate

Re: Helicopter to Fixed Wing Pros and Cons

11/03/2018 4:17 AM

I've been a Fixed Wing Pilot since 1978 . Commercial since 1980. The world of Aviation changes rapidly , but those embedded into it , like Crew Family , learn to adapt to a sort of lifestyle a bit off centre from the ordinary. I flew with my own Dad , but rarely , between the years 1960 and 1965 , but he was lost , flying , and died , July 08 , 1965.

I grew up in an Airline family as well , but as an Aviation Orphan , which set me apart from most of the Industry . Eventually I began to get over the trauma of loosing my Dad to his vocation , Commercial Flying , and began to explore the career .

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #1

Re: Helicopter to Fixed Wing Pros and Cons

11/03/2018 10:44 AM

I understand completly, I felt your pain in a different way. We almost lost him a number of times. When the phone would ring while he was on a trip, our hearts would stop for a moment. We were not allowed to answer the phone. One time, dad was in LAX waiting for his turn around flight to O'hare, his DC10 never made it. Dad was a B-25 "straffer" pilot in the South Pacific, and he ended up "flying" from age 22 to age 60 . He loved flying and when he was retired at age 60 he (as so many) didn t understand. He always told me, "the only thing you need to learn to be a good pilot is ......how not to throw up" . Thanks for posting. Stay safe.

In reply to #2

Helicopter to Fixed Wing Pros and Cons

10/27/2019 10:47 PM

Damn That's Sad . Only One Father - To lose him like that , it's as if he never existed .

When I was young ( I was 5 when Jack Alfred Steele's DC - 6 exploded in flight , killing him and 51 innocent passengers - Wiki Canadian Pacific Flight 21 ) , my world ended - Dad and me watched JFK get shot - He would walk me around on his shoulders to Little Drummer Boy , then , when I was just 5 and a half , he went to work , and vanished like a ghost , a simple one hour flight to Prince George British Columbia , then to Whitehorse Yukon Territory . He never made it . Burned into the BC Forest One Hour after leaving Vancouver Airport - Last Words to my Father - ' Don't Crash , Dad . '

July 08 , 1965 . boom gone .

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Red Gold - Targeting Efficient Production of Martian Precious Metals   Next in Forum: Material Information Sources

Advertisement