Previous in Forum: Food Grade Thread Lock   Next in Forum: Will Off-center Press Press More on One Side?
Close
Close
Close
17 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 253

Frequency of Earth's Magnetic Field

12/06/2018 12:33 PM

Tesla was attempting to transmit power wirelessly by coupling his transmitters to the Earth's magnetic field.

Does anyone know the frequency required to do this?

thanks in advance for any and all help on this.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field

12/06/2018 12:43 PM

Magnetism is constant -- unless it is modulated -- so, I doubt Earth's magnetic field has a "resonant frequency" as Tesla was apparently conjecturing. Although core rotation may cause fluctuations, ie: a mechanical modulation.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1049
In reply to #1

12/06/2018 1:39 PM

Maybe this is what he had in mind:

Schumann Resonance of the earth, fundamental frequency 7.83 Hz, a bit too low for power frequency, the flickering lamps would be annoying...

Diagram of Schumann resonances in Earth's atmosphere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 5)
Guru

Good Answers: 245
In reply to #2

12/06/2018 11:25 PM

Really interesting link, but I've been led to believe that Tesla's attempts to transfer energy were using frequencies in the kHz range.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783
In reply to #5

12/06/2018 11:58 PM

Next thing we'll hear was that Tesla was the godfather of the Amana "Radarange".

In reply to #6

12/07/2018 12:18 AM

I actually worked on developing those back in the early '60s.

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #5

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Shumann => Tesla

12/07/2018 11:00 AM

Lightning Actuated Electrostatic Pump Drives Resonant Cavity Generator

Yes, dkwarner, kHz range. So what happens if you heterodyne two kHz frequencies to achieve an envelope in the 6.5xN Hz range ? Do the diurnal cycles of ionospheric apparent height pump your envelope ? Group velocity is often described as the velocity of propagation of energy/information flow. Yes, this line of thought is decidedly out of the half-bakery but if it can be made rigorous enough to provide a kernel of explanation of Tesla's assertions of being able to transfer energy wirelessly through Earth's atmosphere, maybe there is some potential for actual worthwhile energy savings. There are moderately practical electrostatic generators and if lightning strikes motorize the ionospheric electrostatic buzz bomb engine then the same waveguide pump generator may operate at the ~50 lightning strikes per second frequency. Gleaning even a small fraction of this significant energy flow may have niche application especially where there is no rural electrification available(think Africa or mobile on some ocean surface).

You may be able to inject kHz energy at one frequency and extract it at a higher one after work has been performed on the cavity resonator plates by the lightning driven pump. This might be one way of intercepting some of that energy flow for use by, say, an ocean liner. Think of it as using a small fraction of the energy of a lightning strike somewhere else without having to buy and install wiring to get it there. The "wire" is the terrestrial cavity resonator. The energy source is the Sun which generated the weather which produced the lightning strikes. I know it is a stretch to get it to work at some practical level especially if one considers various inefficiencies inherent in the system but it may be worth the stretch.

Consider this prototype. Load the cavity resonator with a kHz range "bias" frequency energy load from some conveniently land based power plant. Receive energy at some higher frequency on an ocean surface elsewhere assuming that lighning strikes briefly shrink the cavity volume forcing the frequencies higher in the cavity. Receive, rectify and power your ship with these higher frequencies. Win with wireless transfer from your power plant by not having to load your ship with a lot of carbon based fuels. Also win by extracting some fraction of the lighning bolt energy which pumped the frequency of the received kHz wave higher than that generated by your power plant. Hope that a mature version of this can be made efficient enough to be a net energy gain over the energy expenditure from your power plant. Is a net win within our practical and conceptual grasp ? Let's see if any of you bright CR4 people can grasp the principle just discussed for extracting a fraction of the lighning bolt energy. If not, just forget it.

Sometimes I think I am a faint shadow of Tesla reincarnated since I can perceive these long shot mechanisms apparently far better than most. Maybe I just ignore "conventional wisdom" better. Maybe I just have less fear of being scorned and called a lunatic. Did I mention my scheme for keeping the moon from wandering off?

ΩΩΩmmmmmmmm__...

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Shumann => Tesla

12/07/2018 11:35 AM

Wow! That IS a long shot!

If the ionosphere were a perfect conductor at a constant fixed distance from the Earth's surface, and the Earth's surface was a perfect conductor with no mountains, I might think that conceivable, but none of those conditions are met. There are way too many places for energy absorption.

In reply to #10

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Shumann => Tesla.

12/08/2018 10:31 AM

Too Much Stability is Death to the Scheme

"If the ionosphere were at a constant fixed distance from the Earth's surface" my scheme would not work. It depends on lightning bolts and other natural phenomena forcing that vertical dimension to change. There may well be "too many places for energy absorption" but I am hoping my scheme can get into that flow and perhaps dominate it.

Dkwarner, being a radar range oven developer, do you think the frequency of the energy in the resonant cavity of a microwave overn would increase if one abruptly decreased the size of that cavity in one of its dimensions ? Would the energy required to raise that frequency be required to move the wall of the cavity ? Would that energy then be available to a receiving antenna tuned to oscillate at the higher frequency ? If all answers are yes, then just think of the Earth as a large version of the microwave generating unit in a microwave oven but one fitted with a moveable wall. A natural lightning strike would actually increase the distance to the wall but the mechanism which built up the charge to begin with, would resume and do work on all of the energy present in the cavity raising it to higher frequencies until the next lightning strike. Just prior to the next strike one might be in the path of radio waves pumped to higher frequencies due to the reflex collapse of the bulge in the resonant chamber wall(ionospheric effective surface) at the point of the strike.

I am curious whether HAARP or any such projects have mapped such lightning induced dimpling of the ionosphere or whether my mental model is, for now, all there is. I was hoping someone would volunteer reports of this phenomenon or forward some theory to say dimpling does not occur. The size of the presumed dimpling could have significant bearing on what frequencies might be good for a bias energy to inject into the resonant cavity. Whistler research might also be a fertile area for such investigations. Do I have a naturally oscillating wall in the Schumann cavity which might be used ? See, again I have to be more explicit than I would have hoped in order to generate a substantive dialog. Kudos and a GA to dkwarner who at least had some relevant thoughts(mountains and such) regarding natural loss elements within the system.

As for the OP, if you are interested in this slant on your thread then I can continue here. If you, instead, feel like I am hijacking your topic then I will be happy to initiate a new topic elsewhere. What say you, hitechredneck ?

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

12/08/2018 10:53 AM

"...do you think the frequency of the energy in the resonant cavity of a microwave overn [sic] would increase if one abruptly decreased the size of that cavity in one of its dimensions ?"

The resonant cavity is inside the magnetron that creates the microwaves. The cooking portion of the oven is not resonant. If it were resonant, putting anything in the oven would destroy that resonance. The microwave "beam" bounces around millions of times, losing some of its energy each time it passes through the food being heated.

It's quite conceivable that some device other than a magnetron could be used to generate the microwaves, but every microwave oven I've ever seen used a magnetron. In any case, the frequency of the waves would be determined by the dimensions of the generating device, not by the dimensions of the cooking region.

In reply to #12

12/08/2018 10:58 AM

I did not mean that the oven box was the resonant cavity but I see how it sounded that way. I avoided saying magnetron because I did not know whether there were any microwave ovens with Klystron or traveling wave tubes or other alternative devices. Sorry to have mislead.

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Shumann => Tesla. Metaphor Tuning

12/08/2018 11:32 AM

Tuning the Model Metaphor Descriptions

My "bias" generator plant is like the magnetron. To be more rigorous, the Schumann cavity is a bit like a spherical shell waveguide and I am observing the modulation of the dimensions of that waveguide with lightning. It is like the baking part of the oven in that there is water vapor and other materials in it which will to some extent attenuate the signal. Water vapor, happily, is not as attenuating to VLF as it is to microwaves. Still, the mechanism of pumping the waveguide effective dimensions with lightning should result in spreading the frequencies of ambient(in my case boosted ambient) VLF. One might receive the higher frequencies and gain some sliver of the energy pumping the vertical dimension of the cavity between the Earth and its ionosphere. So, my overall quest is to find a small range of frequencies pumped by the ionosphere which has the least attenuation in the Schumann cavity.

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Shumann => Tesla. Trademarking oveM.

12/08/2018 5:39 PM

"Curiouser and Curioser," said the Mad Hatter, er, thewildotter

Yes, oveM was a typo. Kind of a Freudian one. An egg is an ovum, usually a prolate spheroid. The Earth is an oblate spheroid which is what you get if you flex a sphere prolate and release. So, maybe the earth is a kinetic oblate spherical shell microwave oven which has the shape of the oveM class of oscillators. OveM in this usage hints at an oscillating spheroid. Might be worth a © or a ®. Ovo is a verb with the present infinitive of ovare which means to rejoice which is what I am doing because these words seem so serendipitously appropriate.

thewildotter

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #11

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Dawn/Auroral Chorus

12/08/2018 10:54 AM

Dawn Chorus and Auroral Chorus

Oops ! I had intended to mention these other EM phenomena as a tweak to see if anyone thought vertical movement of the ionosphere pumping of the EM ecosystem might explain these more simply than "Doppler-shifted cyclotron interaction between anisotropic distributions of energetic (> 40 keV) electrons and ambient background VLF noise" or other traditional explanations.

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #13

Re: Frequency of Earth's magnetic field. Dawn/Auroral Chorus

12/08/2018 11:05 AM

Actually, ambient background VLF is what I am talking about but I have proposed a mechanism for how it is impacted by dawn to produce a chorus. Maybe the traditional people are actually aware of it.

thewildotter

Register to Reply
Guru
Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 783

Re: Frequency of Earth's Magnetic Field

12/06/2018 2:58 PM

About 26 million years. (Rough average of pole shift intervals.)

Anonymous Poster #1
In reply to #3

12/06/2018 3:42 PM

≅1.2 x 10-15Hz.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

12/07/2018 10:45 AM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Anonymous Poster (1); dkwarner (4); Rixter (1); StandardsGuy (1); thewildotter (7); Tornado (2)

Previous in Forum: Food Grade Thread Lock   Next in Forum: Will Off-center Press Press More on One Side?

Advertisement