Previous in Forum: Flexim Waste Water Flow Meters with Fiber Glass/GRP Pipes?   Next in Forum: Coriolis-Type Flow Meter Issue
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Associate

Integrating Building Management System with SCADA

04/08/2019 3:32 PM

I am part of I&C design of a huge port with more than 350 buildings including pump houses, dock houses, modular substations, gas utility stations etc. we have a dedicated BMS (Building Management System) mainly interacting with DDC (Direct Digital Controllers) for HVAC, in one of the value engineering workshops there was a suggestion to integrate it with SCADA. Unfortunately we are pressed for time for such a big revamp and our System Architecture for SCADA is more or less frozen, however i do not want to use this as sole reason, can there be any other reason(s) which can help me make an argument not to integrate/merge them together (SCADA doing BMS work).?

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Guru

Good Answers: 1659

Re: Integrating Building Management System with SCADA

04/08/2019 4:21 PM

There's never enough time or money to do the job correctly the first time, but always enough to fix system disasters. You can't do supervisory control, etc. on the cheap!

You need to talk to SCADA engineers, not an anonymous forum.

PLC vs SCADA - Difference between PLC and SCADA - YouTube What is the difference between PLC , DCS, and SCADA ? - Quora

DCS and PLC / SCADA - a comparison in use

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1673

04/08/2019 4:24 PM

There has to be some gain targeted for changing something, if there is nothing to gain, what's the reason? If you invest all this time and effort, what rewards will you reap? You must decide if the effort is worth it...Making a control system more complex invites more problems....keep it simple

Then again if it makes controlling operations easier, and if it saves time and money, to what extent will the changes enable abilities that will be utilized, and to what extent?

https://program-plc.blogspot.com/2012/01/difference-between-scada-and-bms.html?m=1

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

04/08/2019 9:20 PM

This sounds like "scope creep" to me and should probably be treated as such.

The big questions you need answered from the value engineering workshops are what benefit integrating the SCADA will provide and what exactly will it involve, etc.

If it is simple then perhaps it can be included but your job contract should already be fairly clear regarding what is and is not included, which should be enough to put the brakes on scope creep suggestions such as this.

It's all well and good for someone to say, "hey why don't we also include flight mode with the new model car?" but if it way outside the original job scope and is not realistic with the time and budget available then it ain't going to happen.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

04/09/2019 7:32 AM

<...pressed for time...>

Rhetorical question: if there isn't enough resource to do it right first time, where is the resource coming from to put it right after it has been put together wrong?

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

jack of all trades (1); lyn (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1)

Previous in Forum: Flexim Waste Water Flow Meters with Fiber Glass/GRP Pipes?   Next in Forum: Coriolis-Type Flow Meter Issue

Advertisement