Previous in Forum: Battery Charging   Next in Forum: Electrical Routine Test Requirement on MV CONNEX Insulating part
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Solar Night Lamp Problem

09/19/2019 1:19 AM

I have purchased solar night lamp on line recently.Actually I wanted that its should get switched on automatically when there is no light (dark) and remain like this till gets discharge.

But what I received is, it gets on when senses some object and gets switched off as the object is gone. There is a snesor for sensing object.

I want that is should remain continuously on without sensing any object, means it should be 'on' automatically sensing darkness ( No object) and remain like this till charge lasts.

Can any one help/suggest how to get this option? I have tried with covering the sensor with black tape but it does not work.

Thanks

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 144

Re: Solar night lamp problem

09/19/2019 6:34 AM

Attach a solar panel to an LED and a battery.

Pretty difficult

Good Answers: 111

09/19/2019 6:56 AM

You have not explained much about what you have....

You must have a battery. You have a lamp, turned on by "no-daylight" AND movement detector usually infra-red PIR. Probably battery charged by solar panel, but solar panel can double as light detector.

Diagram above is about simplest way such a system could work.

1. The FET acts as a switch for the lamp. It will switch on if voltage at its input, at left, is more than 4 volts. Resistor Rf will put the FET ON, unless something connects FET input to negative (-).
  2. During day, transistor L is turned on by high voltage from solar panel using zener diode Z, which conducts only above a certain voltage - no voltage in dark. In day FET & lamp are off.
  3. At night L is off, but movement detector PIR transistor P must also be off for FET to switch on - so lamp will come on with movement.

If it is really so simple, then cutting wire "y" from PIR will get what you want. Cutting wire from PIR to + positive supply would probably work as well.

Try to cut wires where you can easily reconnect them by stripping insulation & twisting ends together - resolder if you can.

Let us hear how you get on....

67model

Guru

Good Answers: 111
In reply to #2

09/19/2019 5:03 PM

Popular type of detector - extreme left of diagram - in 3 lead TO5 cylindrical housing can be disabled by shorting two pins circled together; that is the two pins which are not connected to positive supply.

Guru

Good Answers: 1733

09/19/2019 8:01 AM

Most of these type lights have a high/low mode of operation and cannot sustain the high output for very long under the best circumstances...so you're probably going to need a bigger solar collector and larger battery, easier to just buy the proper light for your purpose...

Fans of Old Computers - ZX-81 - New Member

Good Answers: 27

09/19/2019 8:24 AM

The top of the line PWM charge controller I purchased for under $10 has a "continuous" output. It shuts off if the battery voltage drops below 10.2 VDC.

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Re: Solar Night Lamp Problem

09/19/2019 12:29 PM

You obviously bought the wrong type of lamp. There must be dozens of the ones you wanted. Just read the descriptions more closely. Modifying the one you have is not practical.

Good Answers: 14

09/19/2019 12:32 PM

Walmart sells this type of light for a couple bucks. They must be available somewhere else.

Guru

Good Answers: 1663

09/19/2019 5:07 PM
Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93

09/20/2019 9:07 AM

The sensor detects movement, try a piece of Gaffa tape over the sensor.

Good Answers: 243
In reply to #9

09/20/2019 12:02 PM

Then it will never come on!

Walkway lights do what the OP wants, for a few dollars each, usually sold in sets of 4 or more.

Good Answers: 80

09/20/2019 10:49 AM

Just put one of these in front of it. Probably not solar though...

United States - Member - Born, raised halfway 'round .....

Good Answers: 24

09/20/2019 10:55 AM

Why not just send it back and return to have it replaced by a “dusk-to-dawn lights” instead of what you received which is apparently a “motion sensor” light..

It will be a lot easier and possibly cheaper to do..

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

09/26/2019 2:46 AM

Deleted.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (2); dkwarner (1); harley (1); JE in Chicago (1); jhowdy (1); JWthetech (1); lyn (1); Nigh (1); PWSlack (1); SolarEagle (1); StandardsGuy (1); vsar (1)

Previous in Forum: Battery Charging   Next in Forum: Electrical Routine Test Requirement on MV CONNEX Insulating part

Advertisement