Previous in Forum: Can Physicists Rewrite the Origin Story of the Universe?   Next in Forum: Edgar Mitchell RIP
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

Recent Space News

09/30/2019 3:22 PM

"radio pulses have passed through the halo of a massive galaxy on their way toward Earth"

mysterious-fast-radio-burst-unveils-galaxys-tranquil-halo

other news: a new study suggests that planet 9 might be a primordial black hole:

science/planet-9-primordial-black-hole

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1012

Re: Recent Space News

09/30/2019 8:55 PM

https://www.foxnews.com/science/planet-9-primordial-black-hole

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/orbital-path-astronomy-podcast/orbital-path-12-in-search-of-planet-9/

It's highly likely that Planet 9 (or Planet X) is an ordinary planet, but imagine if it is really a primordial black hole and we could actually send a space probe there to study it!

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 811
In reply to #1

10/01/2019 4:59 AM

Getting it back might be a problem...

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #1

10/01/2019 11:30 AM

If a planet x threw kuiper belt objects out of the solar system orbital plane, could that explain the odd orbit of Pluto?

Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926
In reply to #1

10/01/2019 3:58 PM

If #9 is a primordial black hole there may be some very atypical temporal concerns to consider. The there and back time for the craft to transmit data to us might be some 50 years but we may not get a signal here for more than 100 years.

In reply to #6

10/01/2019 10:12 PM

Planet X is supposed to be about 600 AU from the sun, 20X the distance to Neptune which is 30 AU from the sun. I calculate about 80 hours travel time for the radio signal from the probe.

The Schwarzschild radius of a black hole with 10x the earth's mass would be about 3 inches. I would hope we would stay far enough away that things don't become too "General Relativistic". From 1 million miles away, it will be obvious whether it's a black hole or a plain old planet.

Realistically, we can't send a probe there without knowing exactly where it is and finding it will really be a trick. Perhaps it will be easier to locate as a 6 inch diameter black hole than a 16000 mile diameter planet. It's dark out there and the planet won't be generating any light, whereas a black hole, depending on what is falling in, may have a distinguishable signature.

Voyager1 has been traveling a little over 40 years is about 140+ AU from the sun. Extrapolating, that's 160 years to get there, kind of long to wait. We'll obviously need some kind of atomic propulsion. There's a limit on what can be done with planet billiards.

Power-User

Good Answers: 23

10/01/2019 10:14 AM

LOL.

They made that look like an alien attack directed at earth.

Intentional or accidental?

Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

In reply to #3

10/01/2019 3:57 PM

I think the "blob" in the path is intended as a galaxy viewed edgewise.

In reply to #5

10/01/2019 8:51 PM

I'm thinking the "blob" is the artist's impression of the Fast Radio Burst signal on its way to our galaxy. The path passes through the halo of a massive galaxy, the fuzzy white object to the left of the "blob".

Guru

In reply to #7

10/01/2019 11:14 PM

I think you're right. Here is a better image from astrowatch.net

10/05/2019 9:11 PM
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Jpfalt (1); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); Rixter (3); StandardsGuy (3); wrenchtwirler (1)

Previous in Forum: Can Physicists Rewrite the Origin Story of the Universe?   Next in Forum: Edgar Mitchell RIP

Advertisement