Previous in Forum: The Gradual Demise of the CR4 Instrumentation Forum   Next in Forum: Actuator Display Showing Torque Trip CL Alarm and Torque Trip OP Alarm
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Earthing

02/20/2020 2:00 AM

Hi mates

When I try to measure the volts(24 V DC or 230 AC ) ,by putting the leads ,the black in earthing bar and the the red in the +ve DC or L in AC ,the PLC and all other system is hanged communication lost
what the main cause of this

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 240

Re: Earthing

02/20/2020 7:25 AM

Check your meter connections.

It may be in AMP measurement setting,which is a very low resistance shunt across the line.

This will effectively short circuit the output of the circuit,and if sufficient power is available from the source,it will blow the internal fuse in the meter,or the measured circuit.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 401
In reply to #1

02/20/2020 4:05 PM

GA, my first thought as well.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 401
In reply to #2

02/23/2020 9:15 PM

It would be interesting to hear what the OT'er has to say about it? Anything better to offer??

Guru

Good Answers: 240
In reply to #3

09/13/2020 7:40 AM

It is very easy to leave the meter in the wrong setting,especially if in a hurry.

I was using my fluke to record Min/Max on a ultrasonic flow meter,and left it turned on during the night,testing for intermittent problems.

It was the dog days of summer,and the weather was very hot and humid,and of course,that was when my home A/C unit quit.

I hurriedly retrieved my meter from the shop and checked for voltage at the compressor,"Boom" the lights went out in the whole house.

At first I was puzzled,then I looked at my meter,the leads were still in the amp setting....Dang it!

Even after more than 30 years of troubleshooting,I had made this stupid mistake.

The meter was not destroyed,it had blown the 10 amp KTK fuse and survived with no internal damage.

Gotta love those Fluke Meters!..it had tripped the 100 amp main and did not even spark at the meter leads.

The meter was rated for explosive atmospheres,and it did it's job very well indeed.

Anyway,it was a bad compressor,and I had to replace it,pull down the system,purge with nitrogen, install a new filter and recharge with Freon..it was #22 back then.

Haste makes waste,as the saying goes.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

03/13/2020 4:37 PM

The problem seems to be that a competent test Technician is conspicuously absent.

Good Answers: 4

03/29/2020 11:53 AM

Where I am from, the L or line on AC is the hot lead. We put our meter ground lead on neutral.
Are you using AC powered measuring equipment? Many more situational details would be needed for a meaningful solution.

Anonymous Poster #2

09/12/2020 10:59 PM

Hi,

1. check the integrity of the meter?

2. are you trying to measure on the PLC IO output?

Rgds,

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (2); Haymaker (1); HiTekRedNek (2); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: The Gradual Demise of the CR4 Instrumentation Forum   Next in Forum: Actuator Display Showing Torque Trip CL Alarm and Torque Trip OP Alarm

Advertisement