Close
Close
Close
19 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 175

The Gradual Demise of the CR4 Instrumentation Forum

12/15/2019 10:02 AM

I'm a process instrument guy with some Modbus and SCADA experience and have been around CR4 for since September 2011. Most of what I've done over the years has been on the Instrumentation forum, with scattered replies elsewhere.

It recently occurred to me that I used to spend a fair amount of time answering questions on CR4, but I realized I couldn't recall when I last posted a reply because of the dramatic decrease in traffic on the forum.

So I did a thread count of the last decade for CR4's Instrumentation forum. The data reveal that the Forum is near death, it appears to be in hospice.

Is the decline just CR4?

The PLCs.net forum is as active as ever. Eng-Tips has slowed somewhat for Instrumentation, but other fora are as active as ever. Control.com has just changed format so time will tell there, but it hasn't slowed to 2 a month like CR4.

I think it's CR4, but I don't know why.

Is the vaunted 'social media' a replacement for a conventional web forum for technical inquiries?

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 999

Re: The Gradual Demise of the CR4 Instrumentation Forum

12/15/2019 10:20 AM

Some of us () are lazy and just check "General" when posting a discussion. Maybe there is more over there.

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 144

12/15/2019 11:36 AM

I've seen a lot of good members that have posted regularly in the past just disappear after one too many run ins with absurdity that has a had a home here for a long time.

Thick skinned or not, I think many of those members have decided to move on.

I only wish a portion of those lost contributors would return. I can see that CR4 is making great strides to reduce the infighting, but damage control is not easy when it come to people's feelings.

Good Answers: 1673

12/15/2019 1:26 PM

A lot of the instrument makers now have their own forum, and with that comes specialized knowledge from many sources...In fact this has happened in nearly every field...Everybody has a web presence...This is a good way to keep up with changes and trends and stay competitive..Not to mention the search capability of search engines has constantly improved over time and most questions can be directly typed into the search engine now and every question related is listed, with answer....

Just type Modbus and SCADA into a search engine, and see what you get....

You remind me of the store that has not advertised for years and wonders where all the business has gone....It's a competitive world out there, and things have changed...

In reply to #3

12/15/2019 2:59 PM

12/15/2019 2:27 PM

Where's James Stewart?

Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 30

12/15/2019 10:17 PM

Being retired, I'm not allowed to discuss or even mention my prior instrumentation work. Mum's the word.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 402
In reply to #6

12/16/2019 1:02 AM

You sound like a submariner....

In reply to #6

12/16/2019 5:45 AM

You just did!

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

12/16/2019 1:14 PM

I believe the value of CR4, is not so much of instrumentation component information as an example, but experience and applications as well as trouble shooting.

I've applied components not really design for the applications, but was perfect use of it. The down fall,... one has to be careful if there are any programmable upgrades... those application may not work on an up grade.

Location: Commissariat de Police, Nouvions, occupied France, 1942.
Good Answers: 76

12/17/2019 12:02 PM

What are you advocating, Mildred - discontinue it?

In reply to #10

12/17/2019 12:20 PM

Maybe we should take a vote to replace it with something more up-to-date....Like AI and robotics...or Biased or not Biased .... News you can use .... Talk about your car and what you want to get next.... Art ... Random Ideas... Funny Stories... Stupid questions and stupid answers .... What's next? ...Maybe all the categories should be renamed..?

Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 49

12/24/2019 6:11 AM

I used to be quite active in the past but now only visit from time to time. It's not because of any run ins with other posters but more of having other things to do. I'm on Facebook more these days and am a member of a few instrumentation groups.

Those groups interested me because there were countrymen who asked for information/advise from the more experienced members. The discussions were lively and there were the few hot heads who had little patience for the younger members who asked what they deemed as "stupid" questions. Then there were the gems who had much to share with the group.

I'm into retirement now and it's a bit unfortunate that I had not been able to keep up with some of the technology of this field. When I was promoted to supervisor twenty years ago, I had to give up working in the field I loved and focused on being a leader and manager for a team, sort of like a fighter pilot who had been promoted and spent more time on the ground rather than flying.

It's a bit sad to see the statistics. Maybe there's a gradual move to a more simple forum like everything being "General" instead of being divided into several sections.

Merry Christmas everyone! And have a Happy New Year! (",)

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809

12/27/2019 5:57 PM

One solution would be to start creating instrumentation threads.

In reply to #13

12/27/2019 6:48 PM

Like tips?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 809
In reply to #14

12/30/2019 4:49 PM

Whatever...

In reply to #16

12/30/2019 7:23 PM

No direction,... then it should be put out of its misery

In reply to #13

12/28/2019 12:18 AM

02/25/2020 1:48 AM

It's a bit sad to see the statistics. I was one of the members who used to post questions. Though some of gems on CR4 forum helped me many times. I always experienced there were many mean people on forum who used to post very negative and humiliating replies. Not everyone is expert and that's the reason to seek help from such forums. I stopped approaching on forum to avoid negativity.

In reply to #18

02/25/2020 10:05 AM

Keep fighting the good fight.

I don't post much myself for the same reasons.

That and the members would rather hash out the most banal subject rather than have lively discussions with others.

Very sad, very weak minded people.

Try to point out the inequities and be further banished to the bottom of the pile.

I speak from experience.

Users here want you to fight with them, just not the good fight.

This place should be hard to keep up with.

Instead it's hard to enjoy.

Thanks Guru's!

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

70AARCuda (1); Crabtree (1); JE in Chicago (4); msn (1); phoenix911 (4); PWSlack (2); Rixter (1); SolarEagle (4); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: Three Signals   Next in Forum: Earthing

Advertisement