Previous in Forum: Difference Between Arduino Uno and ATMega 328P   Next in Forum: An Important Message and a Favor, Please
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Anonymous Poster #1

Back to Back IGBT Gate Circuit

01/18/2021 8:02 PM

In the below IGBT back to back circuit I want to switch AC or DC circuits using the PWM of Arduino Uno, with gate driver. can I jumper the two gates to use one Arduino output and one gate driver to pulse the gates in one shot. or the pulses has to alternate in this circuit.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

Re: back to back IGBT gate circuit

01/18/2021 8:18 PM

I tried to look up the technical specifications on your IGBT but my search engines say this is nothing but vaporware.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 399

01/18/2021 8:58 PM

Tie the emitters together if you want to use one gate drive. The challenge is that you will need an isolated gate drive that is not referenced to the switched circuit power.

Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 994

01/18/2021 9:09 PM

This is really the circuit you need:

The ground of your driver circuit should be connected to the emitter of the IGBT and the gate driver to the gate of the IGBT. There should be no other connection between the driver circuit and the switched AC/DC circuit.

Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808
In reply to #3

01/19/2021 6:53 AM

...and no <... pulses...> output from the control device is required; the circuit goes on when the gate is opened and stays on until the gate is closed.

In reply to #3

01/19/2021 1:53 PM

The one thing about this circuit is that there will be three diode drops when conducting. Two back-to-back IGBT's only suffer two diode drops when conducting. Unfortunately, the OP has not provided much information about the application to make an informed design decision.

Anonymous Poster #2

01/19/2021 4:25 AM
Guru

In reply to #4

01/19/2021 1:49 PM

Again, the issue with this configuration with the collectors tied together is that you will need two isolated gate drivers to switch those IGBT's. If you flip the IGBT's around so the emitters are tied together, then you can do it with one isolated gate driver.

Would back-to-back MOSFET's with common drains work in your application? Is it a voltage issue or current issue? IGBT's are slow and if you are trying to do some sort of PWM with this circuit, then IGBT's might not be your best choice.

Reply to Forum Thread 7 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (3); PWSlack (1); redfred (1); Rixter (1)

Previous in Forum: Difference Between Arduino Uno and ATMega 328P   Next in Forum: An Important Message and a Favor, Please

Advertisement