Previous in Forum: Back to Back IGBT Gate Circuit   Next in Forum: IGBT Gate Drive Selection
Close
Close
Close
18 comments

An Important Message and a Favor, Please

01/19/2021 4:10 AM

Hi everyone, I'm a first timer here and sadly its for all the wrong reasons.

A very dear friend of mine sadly passed away unexpectedly last october, and whilst sorting out his effects I discovered he was a member of this site, he was known as Tony S.

Tony was a very knowledgeable man and quite freely gave his time to help and educate others, as some of you will know he wasn't always an easy bloke to get on with but if you did get on with him he was a very loyal friend.

He'd been in poor health for a number of years although he never really moaned about it, I spoke to him about three weeks before he passed away and he told me he'd just come out of hospital once again, ironically looking back at the dates it was only a couple of days after his last post on here that he went to join the electricians in the sky. He didn't sound very well and said he was tired and wanted to sleep, to be honest I think he knew he was dying but didn't tell anyone, he died alone, asleep in his flat surrounded by the books and other things he loved so much.

I knew Tony for many years, we met on an internet forum, and he was a man of many talents, as well as being a very knowledgeable electrical engineer he was also a member of the British Photographic Institute and was a very good photographer. He was involved right at the begining of the rave music scene which began as I'm sure you know in Manchester England. He was offered a part in the movie Spice World, but declined it as he thought it would embarrass his son Carl.

When I found out about his death it was via a long and circuitous route, I live a distance from him and with all the travel restrictions I was unable to just drive down to find out what was the matter, so I had to make a few phone calls in order to locate his son and hear the news from him.

His funeral was a quiet affair attended by his family and a few close friends, I considered myself to be priveleged to be counted as one of them, and I was delighted to hear that I had been left not only his tools but also his collection of books which are a wealth of information.

Tony was only in his early 60's but he wasn't really old in his head, he always said he was going to be a pain in the arse when he got older, he could be a pain in the arse anytime, but he was our Tony and in our own way we all loved him, ironically the song played at his funeral (the one he wanted) bore no significance to me, until I saw the video, then it all made sense.

As I share that video with you all I'd like to ask you a favour, I had heard about this forum from Tony in passing and I know that he was also active on other forums too, now we were both on the same UK based forums so I was able to post there about his passing, but I don't know what other forums he was on so if any of you know of any would you please let them know. It was a thing of Tony's that he wanted people to know when he'd gone.

Anyway, Tony is now as his avatar says, 'resting under the major oak', I'd like you to watch this video and spare a moment to remember a dear friend to all who knew him.

OUR TONY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTb8WxEW78

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 4

Re: An Important Message and a Favor, Please

01/19/2021 5:57 AM

I've been around here for quite a few years, and I remember Tony's contributions.

Here's a link to his profile:

https://cr4.globalspec.com/member/40389/TonyS

Thank you for sharing this with us. There have been a number of members who have "disappeared" from here with no explanation.

From his profile page, you can go to threads he posted, like:

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/130065/Damb-Breach-Imminent

or Good Answers he merited, like:

https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/126590/Auto-Reclosing

Thank you Phil!

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

01/19/2021 6:09 AM

Interesting tag line, given the circumstances:

<...The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated....>

In reply to #2

01/19/2021 6:19 AM

That was Tony all along, what a sense of humour, if you watch the youtube video it'll make you laugh, it's a group of OAP's acting like kids, that was Tony, he typified the old saying, 'you should always live long enough to be a pain in the arse to your kids'.

He'd use a computer to go on forums and look for stuff but that was about it, he had one of the really old Nokia mobile phones, all it did was calls and texts, it broke and someone gave him a smartphone, he went mental, couldn't get his head around it. It was only about a year before he died that I got him into buying stuff online, he'd ring me up and say 'where can I get a such and such' and I'd fine it for him.

He was a cracking bloke and knew his stuff electrically, but you had to experience him arguing with his PC, many's the time he'd ring me up and start effing and blinding because IT (the pc) wouldn't do what he wanted. lol

Login to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

01/19/2021 10:09 AM

New Zealand - Member - Kiwi Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Power Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 376

01/19/2021 4:06 PM

Thanks for the heads up, he will be missed.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 774

01/19/2021 5:17 PM

I especially remember his photos of elegant and antique switchboard installations, and his good diagrams for motors and starters.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 913

01/19/2021 10:02 PM

Thanks Phil for the sad news. I remember Tony's contributions and liked his analysis. He will certainly be missed. I regret not getting to meet him and getting to know him outside of this forum. I will continue to treasure what I do know of Tony.

I will lift a pint in his honor.

Take care of yourself, Phil.

Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Member United States - Member - Army Vet in the aviation industry

Good Answers: 109

01/20/2021 8:27 AM

RIP, Tony. We'll see you again.

Hooker

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

01/20/2021 10:28 AM

It is inevitable that all bloggers will go silent at some point in time.

The only other certainty is taxation.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 402
In reply to #9

01/20/2021 11:43 AM

Death and Taxation, where Taxation will always get the last word in, even after death.

Thinking about it, that would make a good tag line....

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member

01/20/2021 11:42 AM

I recall some of his posts,... and I believe recall when he announced his retirement...

As a contributing member, Tony S was a positive contributor to CR4 and will be missed.

In reply to #10

01/20/2021 11:53 AM

Retirement, lol. Tony may have come off the tools but he was always involved with something. I remember him dragging me halfway across England to look at a job I was doing. I had no idea about it, it transpired someone had asked him to do it but he couldn't due to his health so he'd put my name in the frame. I'd never worked on the equipment before but he said it would be fine, " with your hands and my brain we will manage it".

Even though he was retired he just couldn't leave work alone.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

01/20/2021 11:59 AM

Lol,... sounds like a good friend.

I do recall his knowledge and practically experience as well as his off the cuff interests.... That far as his work ethic,... I picture when he comes into work at 7:00am, he probably considers he’s late,... (when the business doesn’t open on til 8:00am)

In reply to #13

01/20/2021 12:27 PM

I remember him getting stuck into one job it was a real pig and part of the plant was down the day shift went home, Tony was still there, in the morning the day shift came back and someone commented to him about him being in early since he worked late the night before." Came in early, I haven,t been bloody well home yet!" He growled, and he hadn,t he,d done a full 24 hrs to get the plant back up, talk about dedicated.

Login to Reply
Guru

In reply to #14

01/20/2021 1:01 PM

Lol,... just from his posts, I read his work ethic correctly...

thank you for sharing...

Good Answers: 231

01/20/2021 12:55 PM

I really appreciate your post! I've been on CR4 long enough to have observed a number of my favorite posters cease posting. I believe this is the first time I've actually known for sure that one of them is indeed Resting In Peace.

Of course a lot of us here are closer to the ends of our lives than we care to admit, but hopefully we can share our wisdom to help others who haven't yet made as many mistakes, for as long as possible.

Good Answers: 144

01/23/2021 7:58 AM

Sorry you lost your friend.

Just posting here must not be easy, but thanks so much for doing so.

We should all post a physical list of such sites to reach out to should we meet our maker.

Very nice video you posted. We should all be so luck as those who have lived long enough to be a part of that energetic affair! What a good time they mast have had making that and sharing the story later on.

Thanks for sharing that.

Here's a video below that tony selected for me to watch.

it was the second to the to in in profile section for recent posts.

He was obviously well versed and always appreciated around here.

2 tony / ∞Ω

In reply to #17

01/23/2021 8:09 AM

Thanks I will watch that later, looks most interesting, as we know our Tony was a man of many interests

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 18 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

dkwarner (1); Hooker (1); jack of all trades (1); JE in Chicago (1); mikey (1); philthespark (4); phoenix911 (4); PWSlack (2); redfred (1); SolarEagle (1); Tornado (1)

Previous in Forum: Back to Back IGBT Gate Circuit   Next in Forum: IGBT Gate Drive Selection

Advertisement