Previous in Forum: Covid Vaccine   Next in Forum: What's with all the SPAM latey?
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

How to Improve Spoken English?

03/09/2021 12:43 AM

I am Chinese, but spoken English is the most difficult part for me, is there any advice?

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Power-User
United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Chemical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 4

Re: How to improve oral English?

03/09/2021 1:04 AM

There a lot of apps and courses out there for that.

I would search with phrases like:

"Learning spoken English for Chinese adults", or "Mandarin is my primary language. What is the best way for me to learn to speak English?".

Other, less detailed queries will give more hits. You can browse those to see which are the best for your needs.

What is your main Chinese dialect?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

03/09/2021 5:06 AM

The English language, and English speakers, are very tolerant of mistakes. The meaning comes through regardless, and people make allowances for those whose mother tongue is something else.

Don't worry about making mistakes, and keep trying.

Good Answers: 133

03/09/2021 7:38 AM

English is a mixture of many influences. Having an engineering brain I always hated English class. So much of it seemed random. When there were rules there were normally so many exceptions to the rules that I thought the teachers were giving themselves false credibility by claiming that their "English" had rules. This was somewhat confirmed by the way a spelling, word definition or phrase might be "wrong" one year, then after a bunch of professors had a yearly meeting the spelling or word definition was now in the dictionary and "correct".

Learning words, spelling, grammar and the other things in the book is important but it will only take you so far. You need to spend a lot of time communicating. Most of us do not communicate based upon our "schooling". Most of us communicate based upon our communication experience with family and friends. Don't get discouraged if your "book learning" hasn't gotten you to where you want to be. Charge forward and communicate. Make mistakes, repeat your mistakes and learn from your mistakes. Before long you will notice that you are running low on mistakes and are more comfortable speaking English. (You'll also start to notice that we make a lot of mistakes too!)

I have lived in Florida for about 40 years. If I am around people I don't know and I somehow do something stupid I'll just say "Sorry, I'm just a tourist". Somehow that functions like a magical social reset. If you are around people you don't know and in speaking you make a mistake try saying "Sorry, I'm just a tourist". It's amazing how well is makes most mistakes go away and everyone is comfortable again.

Good Answers: 111

Re: How to Improve Spoken English?

03/09/2021 10:35 AM

You can get on the internet; audio- books, spoken books and the written text for the same book free or paid. I searched for "audio books free".

example (free) http://www.loyalbooks.com

You will get a whole variety of accents, United Kingdom; United States etc & the readers their own regional variations!

You could choose a book you wish to read.

67model

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

03/09/2021 10:39 AM

Listening to quality radio also helps. The BBC World Service, for example, is available in most countries. The speech is slower than in everyday English and the sentences a little simpler, generally-speaking.

07/26/2021 11:51 AM

The best solution I can advise you is daily practice! Applications, reading, watching movies. This helps the best. It was easiest for my nephew from Germany to learn English in writing. He was fond of history, so he often wrote essays for me using helpful hints, which include a large database of research paper examples on history, and talked about his favorite and memorable events in the text. It was great practice for him. When she moved in with us and went to school, he was often asked to write essays, and his literacy increased with each new learn.

Login to Reply

In reply to #6

07/26/2021 12:36 PM

I recommended him a site https://studymoose.com/pearl-harbor where a lot of essays on a historical topic are collected

Login to Reply
Login to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

67model (1); BruceFlorida (1); CharlesGoldman (2); mikey (1); PWSlack (2)

Previous in Forum: Covid Vaccine   Next in Forum: What's with all the SPAM latey?

Advertisement