Previous in Forum: Roasted Coffee Bean Storage   Next in Forum: Wattmetric Relay/Torque Limiter emi 365w in Overhead Crane
Close
Close
Close
5 comments
Associate

Protection Relay

08/19/2021 5:18 PM

Dear all

We have feeder protection relay REF542plus the Alarm signal (coil error card1 II) it

is appeared on the the LCD display screen for the relay.when i check the manual for

relay I didn't notice this signal, but I noticed another signal, which is (trip coil

supervision) alarm.Please if anyone has worked on this relay can help me and tell

me are these two alarm is same

thanks for all

Login to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Protection relay
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1665

Re: protection relay

08/19/2021 7:04 PM

Yes I believe those are one in the same...

..."Some alarms might not be reset before the cause that generated it has been removed. For example, an alarm due to an error in the tripping circuit (coil supervision) cannot be reset before the tripping coil is replaced. Whereas an alarm generated by a trip of a protection function is normally reset with this procedure.(pg 30)"...

https://library.e.abb.com/public/960b5634f68f6509c12577500036873b/REF542plus_om_755869_ENg.pdf

In reply to #1

08/20/2021 5:00 PM

thank you for your replay

please have you any idea about the philosophy of trip circuit supervision in REF542plus

relay

thanks

Login to Reply Off Topic (Score 3)
Guru

Good Answers: 1665
In reply to #2

08/20/2021 5:14 PM

In your circumstances I can't say, use your best judgement...

Guru

Good Answers: 67
In reply to #2

08/21/2021 5:23 PM

Trip circuit supervision is to ensure that all of the necessary resources are present to actually trip the breaker if called for. It is an old concept dating back to at least the 1960s, where a very small load, ie a resistor & lamp are placed in series with the trip coil of the breaker. If a fuse opens or a loose terminal opens the tripping circuit, then you have advance knowledge that when the time comes to trip the breaker, it isn’t going to work(the light goes out). This, in US, is often a white indicating lamp.

So if you paid good money to purchase a $70,000 circuit breaker, wouldn’t you want to know if it wasn’t going to protect your power system?

These diagnostics are not foolproof, a bad connection could show a good circuit but might not carry enough current to actually trip the breaker open, for example, but better than waiting until you really need the breaker to trip.

Login to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

Re: Protection Relay

08/26/2021 9:37 AM
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

henry98 (1); PWSlack (1); rwilliams (1); SolarEagle (2)

Previous in Forum: Roasted Coffee Bean Storage   Next in Forum: Wattmetric Relay/Torque Limiter emi 365w in Overhead Crane

Advertisement