Previous in Forum: Hydrogen from Iron   Next in Forum: Bonderite 880E
Close
Close
Close
15 comments
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

What type of Car Stain is it? How to Remove it?

11/03/2021 11:21 AM

Hi CR4 Team,

Can anybody tell me what kind of stain is on this car bonnet?

After cleaning with water

BACKSTORY:

I parked my car in basement building parking in the evening. Next morning, I saw some fire water pipe leakage on top of my car with these stains on my car. Looks like some kind of acidic solution spill to me.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1728

Re: What type of Car Stain is it? How to Remove it?

11/03/2021 11:26 AM

I would hit it with some polish and buff it out to see if it's just on the surface but quick....

In reply to #1

11/03/2021 11:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I could not got time in morning as I had to go to office. Do you think it can go worse if left for a day?

I will go to garage tomorrow to have it checked but I want to go prepared.

In reply to #2

11/03/2021 1:08 PM

Well examining the odds here, I would say it's most likely some petroleum products mixed with water and some lime residual....the content might be damaging but probably not concentrated enough to do any real harm, if removed in a timely fashion...the coating on the car is also unknown, wax, ceramic or other coating types could mitigate the damage to varying degree's...It looks like it's just on the surface with little to no penetration, but sometimes it takes several months for the damage to become apparent...I would launch a formal complaint and have some ammunition for litigation in case the worst happens....

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #4

11/04/2021 11:05 AM

Pipe leakage. Probably a sprinklered area so there is likely some type of antifreeze in the system if so.

Hobbies - DIY Welding - Wannabeabettawelda

Good Answers: 417

11/03/2021 12:31 PM

I have seen similar stains from parking in/under concrete and stone structures (the moat around Thayer Hall at West Point for instance) and Lime-Away worked wonders removing the mineral deposits. Best to re-wax the area after that kind of treatment.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #3

11/04/2021 12:18 PM

"LIME-A-WAY® is not recommended for use on natural marble, stone, terrazzo, polished or anodized aluminum, metallic or painted surfaces, colored grout or counter tops. "

https://www.limeaway.com/faq/

In reply to #9

11/04/2021 10:35 PM

Yup, I know. But . . .

. . . I used it on my 1987 VW Jetta to remove mineral deposits when I was teaching in Thayer Hall back in the early 90's. My son is now driving that car with over 300K miles and the paint still looks fine. Just a quick wipe or two of the Lime-Away removed those minerals, followed by a thorough rinse. The clear coat never dulled and like I said, renew the wax right after use.

The lawyers make them put that on the label otherwise some Brandon will soak something overnight in Lime-Away and then sue them because the paint bubbled off.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Active Contributor

11/04/2021 2:43 AM

If it is a pipe from sewer, then there will be dirty water mixed with cleaning agents. Repolishing wll fix this issue.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

11/04/2021 8:35 AM

<...fire water pipe leakage...some kind of acidic solution...>

It would be highly unlikely to be the latter in a domestic building. If it were, then there would be other evidence, such as corroding metalwork on the vehicle, and stains and corrosion on the floor. There is nothing of that nature in the posted images.

It is practically unknown for the former to be filled with the latter; there would be no point in deluging a fire to stop people getting burned with an acid that would also burn them - it doesn't make sense.

Good Answers: 290

11/05/2021 6:32 AM

Can you get a picture of the floor underneath the leak.

At least get the building janitor/whoever to put a no parking cone in the space until the problem is resolved (otherwise CR4 will be deluged with similar enquiries).

In reply to #11

11/05/2021 1:02 PM

Haven't heard much about Cavaliers lately.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)

11/05/2021 11:17 PM

Hard to tell from the photos, but if it is white, it probably a calcium/manganese deposit. Get a household sponge and saturate it with vinegar. Cider vinegar works best. Set it on the deposit and let it soak in for 5 minutes, then lift the sponge off and gently wipe the deposit. If it is a calcium/manganese deposit, it will wipe off easily. Repeat as necessary. If you go back to the garage, look up at the location of the drip and you will probably see the same white deposit built up on the pipe surface.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors -

Good Answers: 104

11/05/2021 11:49 PM

Water is seldom enough to clean anything. I would try soap and water (or go to a car wash). If that doesn't work try isopropyl alcohol.

11/06/2021 6:50 AM

I would suggest using diesel on cloth and wipe that stain off. Then pour a cap of diesel with water and give the car a good wash.

Wash thereafter with car shampoo and rinse off. You will see the difference.

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Register to Reply 15 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Brave Sir Robin (3); Brian Teo (1); Hameleon (1); Kevin LaPaire (1); PWSlack (1); Randall (1); Robotics Engineer (1); SolarEagle (3); StandardsGuy (1); WalterSperko (1)

Previous in Forum: Hydrogen from Iron   Next in Forum: Bonderite 880E

Advertisement