Previous in Forum: Will this be the Straw That Breaks the Camel's Back..   Next in Forum: What Does It Do?
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

What is this tool used for?

11/27/2021 9:43 PM

I inherited a tool that is 8 inches long and approximately 0.375 inch in diameter (black part in photos) and approximately 0.5 inch in diameter (red part) with a smaller diameter button on the end to push which extends a two piece metal part a total of 0.75 inches that appears to be made to grab onto something.

It has an insulating sleeve (black) on it as if it may be used for some sort of electrical work. Does anyone know what the tool was used for?

Thanks

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 926

Re: What is this tool used for?

11/27/2021 10:24 PM

It looks like a screw starter to me, one that will work with a Philips's head too. The jaws grab the head of the screw. The threads of the screw can mate with the recessed nut threads.

In reply to #1

11/29/2021 3:06 AM

I'm quite sure it is a useful tool for pointing screws into nuts, placed in recessed areas, the screws can be hexagonal head, where it works best, but also cylindrical head (philips, pozidrive, torx ect.). They will then be tightened with the appropriate screwdriver. Sometimes it also should works (not perfectly) for pointing nuts.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 28
In reply to #5

11/29/2021 10:10 AM

I agree, and with #1: a screw starter that would also work for starting nuts to then be fully tightened with the appropriate screwdriver or socket wrench. I have a couple, but they are not like this. Extremely handy in some situations. Also would work for removal when the already-loosened screw/nut is not reachable

Canada - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #5

11/29/2021 2:05 PM

Indeed an electricians tool. Many times there are hard to reach screws making electrical connections. This lets you get them started easily, especially when you have no choice but to work on live areas, hence the insulation.

Good Answers: 5

11/29/2021 12:00 AM

Looks like it has a similar internal mechanism as a Cleco fastener that is used in the aircraft industry to hold panels together temporarily while rivets can be installed.

Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Engineering Fields - Piping Design Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 780
In reply to #2

11/29/2021 2:07 AM

These fasteners can be described as removable and reusable pop rivets.

My brother-in-law is building an experimental plane. For trial assembly/disassembly these fasteners are very useful.

The plane in question is a Barnaby Wainfan design, using all planar surfaces. This design series is called FMX-n, where FM = "facet-mobile" and n is which version (1-7 so far).

I apologize for being vague, but I think these terms can be searched with interesting results. I will try to get back with better specifics.

Good Answers: 1702

11/29/2021 12:39 AM

It looks like a tool for removing recessed bolts, like maybe in a valve cover on an engine....You can get it loose with a socket but pretty hard to reach sometimes if it slips out of the socket...

Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 53

11/29/2021 3:14 AM

I have used these before to install screws into terminal blocks before the days of captive screws. Will work with torx, allen, posidrive as well as Phillips screws.

they work for slotted screws the slotted screws, but normally a split screwdriver is used and I have a number of those from very small to quite large.

There are some of these with a socket drive thought the fingers are smaller and usually three in number. Works similar to the claw pick up tool to start or remove nuts from hard to get to spaces.

Good Answers: 3

11/29/2021 7:02 AM

It looks like a tool for retrieving dropped small objects, I believe it is just a grabbing tool

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

11/29/2021 8:46 AM

It is for pulling out bullets from flesh.

Power-User

Good Answers: 11

11/29/2021 11:07 AM

It's a gripping nut spinner for placing nuts on a recessed bolt, or bolts into a recessed thread. If you look closely at the tip you can see it's designed to hold a hex shaped head. Once the nut is on you can tighten it properly with a box spanner - but you have to get the damn thing in there first and this is where your tool comes in. (anyone remember trying to hold nuts in a box spanner with blu-tack?). It's not as good as a proper set of nut spinners but if you don't want a full set this does most of the job just as well.

Guru

Location: Under the spreading Bunya Trees, South Burnett, Queensland, Australia
Good Answers: 53
In reply to #10

11/29/2021 4:07 PM

I have a set of nut spinners, metric, imperial and even in that little known size BA from my time repairing instruments.

However even with nut spiners, unless they are magnetised, none of mine are, blutac is used to hold the nut into place to stop it falling out or slipping too far in and not reaching the shorter threads.

Blutac or a small niobium magnet is used on long sockets for the same reason of the nut going too far into the socket head even when the stud is extra long except on collared nuts but these seem only to occur on automobiles.

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

11/29/2021 10:12 PM

Where can I get one?

Good Answers: 279

11/30/2021 6:19 AM

Can you tell us what this says?

I found these