Previous in Forum: A Glimpse Into the Future of Robotics   Next in Forum: The Duralast Battery Problem
Close
Close
Close
22 comments
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 89

Looking for small jack

04/26/2022 10:24 AM

We have a number of vacuum chambers with pumps etc. below & cylindrical ovens that drop down from above. We load our products into the outer flanges for processing &, in the central flange, load an assembly which holds optics & materials that will be evaporated onto them to create semiconductor layers. The operators can usually lift the assemblies into position whilst someone starts fitting bolts to secure it.

We have a new product for which the assembly to be located in the centre flange will have a mass of around 40kg, too much for one person to hold in position whilst it is bolted up. We need some sort of jack to lift the assembly but it needs to be stable & able to raise straight up without deviating too much. Any suggestions? We do use scientific Labjacks but their footprint is too large at this load rating. The assembly being lifted will be very top heavy.

The surface to stand the jack is about 800mm off the floor & 830mm diameter but with obstructions. We need to lift about 300mm.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1722

Re: Looking for small jack

04/26/2022 12:10 PM

There are any number of square lab jacks made of stainless....

In reply to #1

04/26/2022 2:00 PM

https://www.southernlabware.com/stainless-steel-lab-jack-12x12-platform.html

You could also use a parallel standing jack support system...

....Or a hydraulic manipulating arm assembly...

...Or, and this is my favorite, your assembler could be fitted with an exoskeleton for lifting and holding heavy objects...

In reply to #2

04/27/2022 2:54 AM

04/27/2022 5:30 AM

Thanks SolarEagle, the Labjacks are what we use now but they are awkward to use & the large load capacity ones have too big a footprint to fit onto the surface of the chamber base.

I did suggest exoskeletons but it did not go down well.

Good Answers: 287

04/27/2022 6:43 AM

What about a simple lever:-

This gives a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage. You'll need to move the handle 3 feet to achieve the required 1 foot movement of the payload. If you put the fulcrum half way between the minimum and maximum point at which the load is supported then the load will be back at its original "horizontal position" when it gets to the maximum position.

In reply to #5

04/27/2022 6:51 AM

Randall, that's s possibility although we have something like 10 vacuum chambers in a tight space with racks of control equipment. It might get a bit congested.

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 816

04/27/2022 7:09 AM

A suitably shaped lump of hardwood first came to mind.

In reply to #7

04/27/2022 7:27 AM

We would have to plant a forest to offset the carbon. We can get our assembly into position easy enough, the main problem is then lifting it 300mm so that it sits inside the chamber then holding the 40kg weight until we get a few bolts engaged.

Guru

Good Answers: 248

04/27/2022 10:07 AM

How much clearance do you have overhead?

This looks like a good application for an overhead 6 way hoist,manual or electric,with the hoist mounted on rollers on a rail to service all of the chambers in the area.

A 40 KG weigh being held up by employees,with people working under it,is dangerous; To say OSHA (or similar safety organization in your country) would not approve,is an understatement.

Stress the safety issue and possible consequences with your supervision,and document your discussion for archival purposes,in case of the inevitable accident.

Emails are great for documentation purposes,so email them your concerns if possible,and copy the emails and replies to a thumb drive to prevent loss.

I have found that including a historical trail of all Emails to be effective at getting the pendulum off-center and moving.

In reply to #9

04/27/2022 10:32 AM

An overhead crane would be nice for this & some other lifts in the area but the space in question has a suspended ceiling so no opportunity for this. Nobody is working underneath the load, it is being lifted from around hip height to chest height but also whist leaning in to reach over the rig base & under the vacuum chamber. It is quite an awkward operation with our normal assemblies but would be a real strain with this new one.

In reply to #10

04/27/2022 12:30 PM

Maybe something like this...

...or this...

Good Answers: 248
In reply to #10

05/03/2022 7:23 AM

Above the suspended ceiling are the structural components of the building.Trolley tracks can be hung from the steel structure,(bar joists,etc.) with rods,through the suspended ceiling to hold the track.Not a real problem,except $$. If someone gets seriously hurt,the managers will wish they had done it before a former employee owns the company via lawsuit.(Of course,your country might not be as litigious as ours.)

In reply to #18

05/03/2022 7:29 AM

Definitely not as litigious here as in the U.S. I don't think they would entertain any structural work here as we are in the early stages of having a new factory built for us & a sister company. Hoping to relocate in early 2024 (about 1/2 mile from my house).

I think SolarEagle has nailed it with the small bike jack.

04/27/2022 12:47 PM

...or this...

In reply to #12

04/27/2022 1:58 PM

Seems to me you need a jig, as well as a lifting apparatus, to complete this job...the jig would then fit to both the piece and the lifting device for stable controlled placement...we have an unknown missing piece

In reply to #13

04/27/2022 3:29 PM

In reply to #16

05/03/2022 6:03 AM

I think that could work. I've found a mini moto bike jack in the UK which is a suitable size & lift. It's hand operated but has an adaptor to connect an electric driver. I'll suggest here that we but one & try it.

Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - Been there, done that. Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 933

04/27/2022 3:00 PM

I think HTRN's suggestion of a crane will be your best bet. But if you find a green ring...

In reply to #14

04/27/2022 3:14 PM

Maybe it's as easy as a trip to the local gym ...

Hey buddy you want a part time job?

Good Answers: 151

05/04/2022 5:24 AM

Have you considered suspending the weight from the drop down oven? Construct a U shaped shoe that slides over the mating flange on the oven and hang a YALEHANDY250™ (but there are many other makers) ratchet lever hoist. When fully raised the minimum distance between hooks as purchased is 240mm but removing the top hook and attaching directly to the shoe, then removing the bottom hook and replacing with three clamps that mate with the vacuum pump top flange, could reduce this minimum to 150mm. It also automatically positions the pump both horizontal and co-axial to the flange above and should allow you to rotate to align flange holes. The rated load capacity of 250kg future proofs against needing to increase your 40kg payload on some new project. Budget price around £100/$130.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #20

05/04/2022 5:36 AM

I think lifting from underneath is the way to go. Once the unit is raised into position it has to be held whilst about 20 bolts are installed so it needs to be free from obstructions.

Good Answers: 287

05/10/2022 6:17 AM

"Looking for small jack"

There he is!