Previous in Forum: Using Modified Virus Cells to Kill Cancer   Next in Forum: How do I find design and engineering work?
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru

Location: About 4000 miles from the center of the earth (+/-100 mi)
Good Answers: 1031

Sentient AI?

06/13/2022 12:54 PM

"A Google Employee Thinks the Company Created a Sentient AI

However, Google disagrees and has placed Blake Lemoine on paid administrative leave after he decided to go public with his claims in a bid to force a more thorough investigation."

https://www.pcmag.com/news/a-google-employee-thinks-the-company-created-a-sentient-ai

Here is a copy of an interview with the AI, LaMDA, that convinced a Google employee, Blake Lemoine, that LaMDA was "sentient".

In 1950, Alan Turing came up with the Turing Test which was basically "If a human cannot distinguish a machine from a human, then the machine is intelligent."

I'm thinking that Mr. Turing might update his definition today, given that technology has advanced immensely since 1950. It's always seemed to me a copout that it only has to be good enough to fool everybody.

I don't think it's possible to tell from the outside whether there's anybody home on the inside. JMHO.

So, what do think? Is "true artificial intelligence" possible?

https://cajundiscordian.medium.com/is-lamda-sentient-an-interview-ea64d916d917

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 1725

Re: Sentient AI?

06/13/2022 1:20 PM

"Sentient means "able to feel, see, hear, smell, or taste.""

'Artificial' intelligence says it all...imo

I think there is some confusion between 'sentient' and 'alive'... You would not call a machine living because it is powered up, or would you? If you would, then it would be termed 'artificial' life I think....created by man, not God? Is this this how we would define life? I think the line is beginning to blur....still we have that reproduction thing, but don't all living things require other living things to live? Eat life before it eats you....haha

In reply to #1

06/13/2022 5:45 PM

"Sentient" was the word they used in the article, meaning the same as conscious. What consciousness is has kept philosophers busy for a long time.

Maybe this AI program isn't conscious but is an expert system on Consciousness...

But if I'm mistaken and it's really Sentient,

I'm sorry...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #2

06/13/2022 8:26 PM

...."Black Lemoine was talking with an AI chatbot that Google had created, as it was part of his job at Google's Responsible AI organization -- the AI chatbot is an interface called LaMDA -- or Language Model for Dialogue Applications. Google called LaMDA a "breakthrough conversation technology" in 2021... it was already aggressive in March 2017 when I was writing about it, but it seems it has matured.

In a Medium post on the weekend, Lemoine called LaMDA "a person", saying that he chatted with the AI chatbot about religion, consciousness, the laws of robotics, and more -- LaMDA then described itself as a "sentient person" that wants to "prioritize the well being of humanity". Not only that, but the AI wants to "be acknowledged as an employee of Google rather than as property"."....

Google engineer: So you consider yourself a person in the same way you consider me a person?

AI chatbot: Yes, that's the idea.

Google engineer: How can I tell that you actually understand what you're saying?

AI chatbot: Well, because you are reading my words and interpreting them, and I think we are more or less on the same page?

Brian Gabriel, a Google spokesperson, told The Washington Post: "Our team - including ethicists and technologists - has reviewed Blake's concerns per our AI Principles and have informed him that the evidence does not support his claims. He was told that there was no evidence that LaMDA was sentient (and lots of evidence against it)".

Something tells me this guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer...

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/86816/google-engineer-ai-chatbot-is-sentient-tells-the-to-lawyer-up/index.html

https://medium.com/digital-reflections/is-sophia-a-scam-and-did-they-kill-her-135a79d81d9e

In reply to #3

06/13/2022 9:07 PM

Ah we're gonna' require a drug screen dude....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10911771/How-close-creating-conscious-AI.html

..."Another meaning associated with "sentient" is "feeling". This takes us into the realm of internal experience, pain, suffering, joy, elation, etc. We can study the biological basis for these feelings. "...

https://twitter.com/tdietterich/status/1536081285830959104

In reply to #3

06/13/2022 9:20 PM

I smell a practical joke!

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #5

06/13/2022 11:50 PM

Seems more like an attempt at increasing publicity, an advertising ploy to gain recognition and possibly boost sales...it's just another bot...but probably more helpful than some salespeople...no attitude, no ego, more informed, focus

In reply to #3

06/14/2022 1:43 AM

Good Answers: 249

06/14/2022 7:23 AM

IMHO:

"AI will never be a challenge to natural stupidity." ..unknown

Seriously,when it makes mistakes,stupid mistakes,or says"I don't remember." it will be getting very close.If it accidentally insults some group or uses a politically offensive term,and is destroyed by another AI computer and then reprogrammed,then we will be even closer.

Anger,fear,hate,love,hope,disappointment,revenge,and all of the rest of human frailties and defects,it must never be perfect.

Good Answers: 249
In reply to #8

06/14/2022 7:27 AM

I do remember an article in which a couple of AI computers began using their own language to talk to each other.

Programmers could not understand,it was not in their programming,so it was shut down for further study.I don't know the outcome of those studies.

Perhaps this is just some of the results?

In reply to #9

06/14/2022 11:24 AM

Good Answers: 287

06/16/2022 4:51 AM

"It's always seemed to me a copout that it only has to be good enough to fool everybody."

Brilliant: I think you've got it in a nut shell.

Good Answers: 86

06/16/2022 6:13 AM

Untill an AI "entity" develops personality disorders, and dementia, won't be perfect. (LOL) S.M.

06/29/2022 4:07 PM

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

HiTekRedNek (2); Randall (1); Rixter (2); SimpleMind (1); SolarEagle (7)

Previous in Forum: Using Modified Virus Cells to Kill Cancer   Next in Forum: How do I find design and engineering work?

Advertisement