Previous in Forum: Hydrostatic Tests   Next in Forum: Bulk Powder Conveying
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Anonymous Poster

Aluminum Cooper Corrosion

12/10/2007 1:04 PM

I use cooper pipe for oil(the internal hydraulic part of a dispenser pump).

Please inform me what happen if I have a joint between aluminum and coope material

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 19

Re: Aluminum Cooper Corrosion

12/10/2007 2:28 PM

Do a Google search for "copper-aluminum joints". There are 19,500 posts offering information about these connections.

Good Answers: 2

12/10/2007 11:37 PM

Most likely your barrels will suffer, with disturbing consequences of the beer, wine, or spirits within. Oh, sorry, perhaps you meant "copper", rather than "cooper". Nasty bimetallic corrosion - one of those electro/galvanic types of thingies. This is also bad for beer.

Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

12/11/2007 5:29 AM

Internally with oil not a problem, externally you have the possibility of corrosion dependent on ambient conditions.

12/11/2007 6:14 AM

What happen..corrosion is some of the more impredictable thing that you may deal with...If you have a joint between two metallic components you are bound to encounter corrosion-related problems. Although details will be dependent on the details of your oil and hydraulic part of your pump dispenser. If I were you, I would try to avoid a direct metal-metal contact, perhaps including an appropriate nonmetallic plastic in-between the metals.

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

12/11/2007 10:37 AM

The aluminium will dissolve if such a system is presented with an electrolyte. Oil isn't one of these; it is non-conducting. There is a risk, though it is probably small in this particular case.

Galvanically-isolating pipe fittings are available.

12/11/2007 11:54 AM

If the oil can be kept free of water and is not ionized(check this out with the supplier of the oil to determine this), then corrosion inside the piping system due to galvanic action should not occur. It should be possible to estimate the concentration of water in the oil below which the oil is "inert". As far as galvanic corrosion occurring on the exterior surfaces of the piping system, isolate the Al from the Cu by using a non-metallic separator of some kind between the two metals.

Reply to Forum Thread 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); edalder (1); garth (1); ktel60 (1); PWSlack (1); Ried (1)

Previous in Forum: Hydrostatic Tests   Next in Forum: Bulk Powder Conveying

Advertisement