Previous in Forum: environmental engg   Next in Forum: Concrete reo Alternative?
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru

Good Answers: 243

Megawatts per ton of steam coal

12/16/2007 12:46 PM

Anyone know of reliable source where I could find actual achieved megawatts to the grid per ton of coal combusted? Amount of kilowatt hours to mine a ton of steam coal? Amount of tons per hour mined?Efficiency factors for the conversion? I'm in North America, but confirmed engineering quality experiential factors from other installations globally will be helpful.

If there are underlying assumptions regarding factors of coal, process etc. please share.

Thanks to all.

milo

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

Re: Megawatts per ton of steam coal

12/16/2007 1:58 PM

I just plugged those search words into Google and got 200,000 hits!!

Google is your friend

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SKPB,SKPB:2006-46,SKPB:en&q=kilowatts+to+mine+a+tonne+of+coal

John.

In reply to #1

12/16/2007 6:35 PM

Thanks. Electroman.

I didn't ask for help until I exhausted my usual searches.

I'm looking for the exact parameters that I asked for, not phrases that contain some of the words, hence my post; 1st item on google is really about methane from a mine that will generate power, interestingly, my CR4 post came up number 3 in that search. The USEPA item on page 1 is also case study of methane cogeneration... with zero of the first ten items having the parameters i seek, I'm not inclined to go through the remaining 199990 entries...

the german Capcoal entry was close in providing tonnes per year estimates, for a mine, and power factors for conveying coal, but I'm hopeful looking for better data.

Anyone out there have real data, or just more haystacks to comb?

milo

In reply to #2

12/17/2007 12:59 AM

Milo,

Contact the US Department of Energy and/or the Western Area Power Administration and they should have what you need as all of the power generation stations on the grid are required to provide this info to them.

The info is used to calculate energy reserves as well as future energy demand growth.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45
In reply to #1

12/17/2007 9:10 AM

I didn't mean to insinuate that you should use Google Milo, in fact you've got me wondering just how much energy is used to mine a ton (tonne) of coal to power a power station...

I bet the overall efficiency is incredibly low, perhaps? Let us know if you do find any information.

John.

In reply to #7

12/17/2007 10:18 AM

Thanks again.

My intent is to see how much energy/waste/ etc. is deferred by every megawatt of renewable energy produced. Cost effectiveness studies focus on cost of alternatives, why not do a reverse calculation on costs of impact deferred?

milo

Good Answers: 40

12/17/2007 12:19 AM

I recall that when I worked at the General Electric plant (Locomotives, DC Motors & Generators) in Erie, PA, the plant had its own power plant. Coal was brought in by rail cars, and, a full-time chemist was on staff to validate the energy derived from the average carload before payment was calculated.

Too many variances, not just between the simple "anthracite vs. bituminous" coals, but between layers in the earth, and even each walking-dragline scoopful.

That was 20 years ago ~ wonder how such deals are managed nowadays.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 5

12/17/2007 2:19 AM

The thermal energy content of coal is 6,150 kWh/ton. Although coal fired power generators are very efficient, they are still limited by the laws of thermodynamics. Only about 40 percent of the thermal energy in coal is converted to electricity. So the electricity generated per ton of coal is 0.4 x 6,150 kWh or 2,460 kWh/ton.

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Guru

In reply to #5

12/17/2007 10:21 AM

Thank you shogun. This is helpful. Would you mind sharing the basis for your assumptions of 40%?

milo

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #9

12/18/2007 1:40 AM

Found it on "how stuff works.com"

Register to Reply
Power-User
Australia - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 22

12/17/2007 8:22 AM

Try here:

www.ccsd.biz

very little about coal that's not on the site... from industry / govt / green / consumer perspectives - lots of really good current data.

This paper in particular might come close to answering your question (see especially page 46 and onwards in the pdf):

http://www.ccsd.biz/publications/files/TA/TA%2044%20Options%20for%20Elec%20final%20supp%20report.pdf

Also look through the authors of this paper - someone there will be able to tell you anything you want to know about coal (and probably lots more).

If all that fails, click the contact-us link on the site and put your question directly.

Good luck!

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru

In reply to #6

12/17/2007 10:21 AM

Thank you for this. We will be giving this a very close look.

Milo

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

12/17/2007 5:08 PM

Don't know if you have access to the Texts, but I would suggest looking into the "Chemistry of Coal Utilization" by H. H. Lowry This is a series of 3 refernce texts written in the 1940's with updates (supplemenary volumes) in 1964 and ~1995. They are generally considered to be the bible by fuel technologiests working wit coals worldwide. I would be surprised if your questions were not answered therein.

In reply to #11

12/18/2007 11:27 AM

Thanks Neighbor.

Milo

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (1); Electroman (2); Milo (5); ndt-tom (1); RobertOz (1); shogun7 (2)

Previous in Forum: environmental engg   Next in Forum: Concrete reo Alternative?

Advertisement