Previous in Forum: MGL   Next in Forum: Mobile Phone Virus
Close
Close
Close
9 comments
Associate
Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member South Africa - Member - New Member

Siemens S7 PLC Usage

01/08/2008 4:14 AM

Friends,

First of all a happy, prosperous, exciting and fun filled 2008 to all. May the best of 2007 be worse than the worst of 2008.

I am buying a second hand ABB Induction furnace. With the furnace and ancillaries I will get a Siemens S7 PLC, the feedback from ABB is that it is redundant and have to be replaced. Note, not broken or in bad condition, but redundant. I feel it unnecessary to throw things away because it is no longer the latest and greatest. I still use my Pentium II laptop every now and then, because it still works and as long as i don't have to do huge designs or complex calculations it is more than adequate.

So here is my question: Can I still use the old PLC, do I need a PLC in the first place, or should I spend the $$$$$ on a new controlling system?

Regards,

TC

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: Old S7 Siemens PLC
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 819

Re: Siemens S7 PLC usage

01/08/2008 7:40 AM

"Redundant" or "obsolete"?

The S7 is widely in use within the water treatment industry in this part of the world, among other industries. Some operations have adopted it as a standard, so as to minimise spare part stockholding.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member South Africa - Member - New Member

In reply to #1

Re: Siemens S7 PLC usage

01/08/2008 8:49 AM

PWSlack,

Sorry, my second language English made me think ity is the same thing. He actually said "Obsolete, may have to be replaced".

TC

Register to Reply
Guru
Philippines - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - Who am I?

Good Answers: 51

Re: Siemens S7 PLC Usage

01/09/2008 12:13 AM

The S7 is an old PLC but I still see it being used in a lot of factories. We use Allen-Bradley ourselves and the PLC-5 is said to be stopped by 2011 though parts may still be available for 5 more years. It may be the same for the S7.

If it were up to me, I'd use the S7 for now. However, plan for replacing it in the near future in case it is obsolete. There are a lot of low cost PLCs out there that should be able to handle your induction furnace.

01/09/2008 12:25 AM

T4T,

I am also using S7 in many of my machines. It is the programming software for siemens plc software. what is the plc model s7-200 or s7-300 or s7- 400? to my knowledge s5, the previous programming software from siemens is becoming obsolete but still support is available from siemens. Am i right Slack?

Guest....

Register to Reply
Associate

01/09/2008 4:56 AM

Thanks Guys,

I just wanted to make sure. My drive is capital saving in the short term. In 12 months we will be able to replace it with state of the art stuff, but for now to get it for "free" with the equipment is a bargain. I will get a older PLC technician to help with the programming.

Will keep you posted as progress is made. Payment for the equipment goes today, so by end Feb we should have it delivered.

Regards,

TC

Register to Reply
Active Contributor

01/09/2008 7:29 AM

The S7 is far from being obsolete. The S7 is used all over the world and according to Siemens there are no plans to releasing a new family of PLC's. ABB may want to sell you a DCS system for the furnace.

Register to Reply
Commentator

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #6

01/09/2008 8:45 AM

Just to add my two cents worth.

PLCMan is quite right.

One year ago we commissioned two Siemens 501D5A combustion turbines at 104 MW each, relatively large machines .

They came with Siemens S7 PLCs and Allen Bradley SLC5/04 PLCs runing three gas compressors.

They even had some S5 I/O cards in them.

I think you can keep the S7 going for 5 years yet very comfortably.

I have done many control system retrofits.

During the tail-end of most control system platforms as users retrofit "supposedly obsolete systems, the used ones which are replaced becomes available and you get them cheap allowing you to keep your "obsolete" equipment in service.

I have lots of "obsolete" Allen Bradley PLC cards for the Bulletin 1774 series of PLCs.

Lots of GE Mark I , Mark II and Mark IV Speedtronic cards.

Lots of Westinghouse P50 and G50 and Wetac control system cards available for donation , sale...whatever.

Allen Bradley is highly recommended for use as a replacement PLC .It is easy to use, a large population of PLC 5, SLC 100,200,....SLC5/04 Micrologix... in service.

02/28/2008 1:52 AM

Friends, i very agree above everyones idear.

in the future,i think S7 will be go far,for example now in china,about every factory control system compound by SIEMENS,and now in china,SIEMENS PLC may be occupy automatical market 70%,

05/09/2008 12:08 AM

S5 is "mature". Even though s5 parts are getting more expensive to get from Siemens there are 3rd party vendors supplying replacements.

S7 is far from obsolete. There isn't even a hint of a replacement product for S7. A major new version of the programming software - Step 7 - is due out in a few months. S7 is not going anywhere soon.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); BilgeRat (1); djacob (1); JOHN F NASH (1); PLCMan (1); PWSlack (1); T4T (2); Vulcan (1)

Previous in Forum: MGL   Next in Forum: Mobile Phone Virus

Advertisement