Previous in Forum: Fire Protection Manual -Tariff Advisory committee   Next in Forum: Best Technical Prank
Close
Close
Close
28 comments
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

What Can Go Faster Than Light? - Light, of course!

01/11/2008 6:55 AM
Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: What Can Go Faster Than Light? - Light, of course!

01/11/2008 8:26 AM

Relativity doesn't say nothing can go faster than the speed of light; that's a common misconception. Next time you go in a room and turn on the light, watch the edge of the light/shadow and it will move faster than c in places. Of course, I always blink and miss it.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United Kingdom - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 663
In reply to #1

01/11/2008 8:31 AM

When I was young I was so quick I could switch the light off and be in bed before it went out...

Good Answers: 7
In reply to #2

01/12/2008 5:26 AM

Now that is spooky as my colleague said this on Friday. I am not kidding man, where did you get that expression from?

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #14

01/12/2008 6:46 AM

I think it was Alan Shearer recounting a tale of one of the old footballing legends Tom Finney perhaps?

Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36
In reply to #1

01/11/2008 11:56 PM

Quit drinking the Bose–Einstein condensate and you will really see the edge of the light/shadow move faster than c in places. Of course you could just walk faster than C .

http://www.laserfocusworld.com/display_article/286502/12/ARCHI/none/News/LASER-OPTICAL-DATA-PROCESSING:-Bose-Einstein-condensates-enable-light-reviva

Sometimes I think reality is over rated.

Brad

In reply to #10

01/12/2008 3:50 AM

Of course you could just walk faster than C .

Yeh...but only at night

In reply to #12

01/12/2008 11:29 AM

And in a graveyard when I was a young tad.

Guru
Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

01/11/2008 9:16 AM

It seems to me that if light can't escape from a "black hole," then the acceleration due to gravity in a black hole must speed things up at least a little beyond the speed of light in a vacuum, which contradicts Wang: " . . . the effect is possible only because light has no mass; the same thing cannot be done with physical objects."

'Course, never having been in a black hole, I can't confirm my theory . . .

Good Answers: 87
In reply to #3

01/11/2008 9:47 AM

I have been in a black hole, as has anyone that has flown into Chicago O'hare Airport on a Friday afternoon in the winter time.

That airport sucks up everthing, time stands still, light is trapped and all sorts of nasty gravitational and relativistic effects occur.... Not even Dante could imagine such a hell....

(Paris De Gaul and London Heathrow have similar effects)

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 7)
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

In reply to #4

01/11/2008 9:56 AM

Yes, you are right!!! And then there is the Timothy Leary underground wormhole at the center of the singularity!

Guru

In reply to #4

01/11/2008 10:10 AM

Time doesn't quite stand still. That would ruin their fun at having you run at full speed, carrying 3 pieces of carry-on luggage, from one hub to another only to have the attendant close the gate ten feet in front of you and say "there's another flight tomorrow"

In reply to #6

01/11/2008 10:14 AM

That would be Pittsburgh... at O'Hare they cuss at you, but would let you on the plane, pull four or five meters away from the gate, and then time comes to a standstill as you sit on the tarmack in an inteminable snow storm... not able to take off, but somehow not allowed to return to the terminal either....

Guru

In reply to #7

01/11/2008 10:50 AM

At Greater Pitt, you get to your gate only to find USAir got all the luggage there but lost the plane in Cleveland.

In reply to #8

01/11/2008 11:25 AM

ROFLOL

Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #8

01/12/2008 4:21 AM

What about the Oozalum Bird..........I reckon he travels faster than the speed of light

Also the Road Runner ..........................and WHAT about Speedy Gonzales.......arriba,arriba,arriba.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #8

01/12/2008 11:32 AM

Didnt know there was even service to Cleveland.

Location: Rush CO 38*50'48.12"N 104*05'50.9"W 6032ft elv. the "high plains" of eastern Colorado
In reply to #7

01/12/2008 10:32 PM

That is known as an "on time departure". The aircraft left the gate at its' scheduled time and is reported to the FAA as such. Take offs are not scheduled and are subject to all kinds of time warping phenomena.

Commentator

Good Answers: 2

01/12/2008 3:27 AM

Is it possible that the pulse gets elongated the moment it enters the chamber and the leading end reaches the other end before the trailing end entering the chamber?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #11

01/12/2008 5:35 AM

Yes but only with the aid of dilithium crystals.

<<Dilithium is one substance that can safely combine matter and anti-matter into a stable stream.

The Crystal becomes the focal point where the matter/anti-matter injectors fire. The crystals then combine and refract the beam in to the Warp Core. Kinda like the reverse of a light prism. Instead of only one beam of light hitting the prism and refracting into mutiple beams of light.. it does the exact opposite. Takes 2 beams of in-compatable energy, combines them to make a single stable beam of energy and fires into the warp core chamber... and voila, you have warp power!! I know that it would be possible for the deuterium ions to "channel" through the crystral, provided it is very pure and exactly aligned. The antideuterium is the problem, since it is supposed to have the opposite charge (negative). This would mean the ions would not behave like deuterium and would (under the same conditions) possibly collide with the dilithium nuclei: boom! This is where the TNGTM makes a nice suggestion to create a condition (high frequency excitation) to make the material porous also for antimatter. Another possibility is to accelerate them to a high speed, so that the deflection in the crystal is minimized.>>

Any way, that is what I was told

Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

In reply to #15

01/12/2008 11:34 AM

Me thinks you and Case are watching too much Startrek.

In reply to #19

01/12/2008 12:15 PM

Ok we have been found out. "Scott me up Beamy"

Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #20

01/13/2008 8:20 AM

..........that's right case..................the earth sucks.......What's all ths gravity crap.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

01/12/2008 2:07 PM

what can go faster than light? a lot of things go faster than light! bad luck is one and keep going

Ireland - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Energy Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 17

01/13/2008 3:54 PM

To quote my literary hero Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless":

"One of the problems has to do with the speed of light and the difficulties involved in trying to exceed it. You can't. Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws. The Hingefreel people of Arkintoofle Minor did try to build spaceships that were powered by bad news but they didn't work particularly well and were so extremely unwelcome whenever they arrived anywhere that there wasn't really any point in being there."

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member

In reply to #24

01/13/2008 10:06 PM

I agree, the only thing that can go faster contrary to light is bad luck and bad news.At least with light you can guess when ,where ,how deep it was in the universe. But let me pour myself an un-blended Scotch whisky,. ...Haaa i am starting to surf the wave now! I get your drift ! We all stand to gain from this worthy debate. But on the practical human side that will still not prevent us from being late. In fact the only looser is: shadow.Did I get it? hoops!

I hope though if I am to travel get more than 60 miles per gallon,because the payload of booze will be substantially less.

am I off topic or TUI toughs under the influence)

Hobbies - Musician - New Member Greece - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 28

01/14/2008 3:32 AM

In the past, other researchers had also claimed that they had succeeded to exceed the speed of light through their experiments in their labs... But afterwards they proved wrong... Even more,this specific experiment need to be evaluated... A successful repetition of this experiment by other scientists is needed... Anyway, it's not worthy to discuss more on this...

01/14/2008 6:57 PM

I read a long time ago that scientists thought there were "particles" that travelled faster than the speed of light. While they never could prove they existed they did say that even if they did they would disappear before they existed.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #27

01/14/2008 7:15 PM

Perhaps you are thinking of tachyons, which was postulated in the 60s.

Now days they are relegated to virtual particles and are not believed to really exist.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 28 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (2); Anonymous Hero (2); Anonymous Poster (2); BabyGuinness (1); Bill (1); case491 (3); Del the cat (3); G.K. (1); issa David Talamas (2); k.v.gopalakrishnan (1); MOBI (2); shart4legged (1); Steve S. (3); TVP45 (3); U V (1)

Previous in Forum: Fire Protection Manual -Tariff Advisory committee   Next in Forum: Best Technical Prank

Advertisement