Previous in Forum: Types of Silicone Rubber   Next in Forum: Plastic For Explosion prone areas
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Anonymous Poster

Paste Filler That Can Withstand 720F?

01/24/2008 3:58 PM

Can anyone refer me a paste grade (filler) product that will bond well with most metal substrates and will not be affected by temperatures a bit over 720F?

I know chemical contact will not be an issue here, and neither would abrasion, but I am aware that epoxies will carbonize over 500F, and I have a need to apply a paste grade filler material in different areas. I imagine an inorganic nature is necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: Paste Filler That Can Withstand 720F?

01/24/2008 4:16 PM

Without knowing your exact application, I can suggest you look at Sauereisen Cements.

www.sauereisen.com

You might have to give them a call to check on exact properties, but I've used them over 2000F.

Good Answers: 3

01/24/2008 4:31 PM

Not sure about inorganics, but you are certainly right about the epoxy limits.

I have heard in the industry that Silicates would be your best choice, but I have no clue as to what product would serve you.

Good Luck!

Anonymous Poster

01/24/2008 11:20 PM

sodium silicate's are used as "Stove Cement"

Commonly used around wood stoves to seal the joints, in cast fireplaces. And also to fix oil stove combustion chambers"Glory holes". Available from many building supply, and especially fireplace stores. The finer grades work the best, in my experience, you can use glass matting, with it also, years ago Asbestos matting was used. Sodium silicate, is also used in many slug baits --- works to seal very fine cracks.

Anonymous Poster

01/25/2008 4:00 AM

Try using 'Hi-Temp LAB-METAL' www.AlvinProducts.com o.k. for temperatures upto 1000F

Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818

01/25/2008 4:42 AM

How about fire cement? It is used to join bricks used in refractory furnaces.

In the UK, the heritage railway sector uses loads of it when replacing and repairing brick arches in locomotive fireboxes.

Engineering Fields - Systems Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 14
In reply to #5

01/26/2008 6:00 AM

Fireclay Putty- Simplest and readily available.

Power-User

Good Answers: 3

01/25/2008 6:49 AM

You might check JB Weld. I know it works well on cast iron exhaust headers and they can get hot enough to glow red.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 17
In reply to #6

01/25/2008 12:20 PM

J-B WELD is warranted to 600F according to the packaging that comes with it.

I have used it on engine blocks at the exhaust port where the temp was above this with no issues. I guess usage of it would depend on vibration and flex in your usage.

Good Answers: 10

01/25/2008 7:07 AM

A lot would depend on the end use. Does it vibrate? is it mobile or get banged around? a lot of cements will crumble or fall out if subjected to these. Please explain the enviroment this will be used in.

Associate

Good Answers: 1

01/25/2008 7:15 AM

JB weild will work I've used it to fill seal wear on shafts and then pwht to about 1150 deg.

Guru
Australia - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 23

01/25/2008 8:40 AM

Try Litharge and Glycerin makes an almost permanent high temp bond has been used on threaded pipe joints for a long time.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

01/25/2008 3:17 PM

I would suspect that most ceramics could work as a binder. Perhaps even fireclays.

United States - Member - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member

Good Answers: 6

01/25/2008 3:32 PM

You should talk to the guys at Henkel. They have all sorts of high temp goo

Reply to Forum Thread 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (2); DGCYS (1); garth (1); jrpeck (1); MUKULMAHANT (1); PWSlack (1); rdavis (1); robert_cameron_jr (1); silvCrow (1); TVP45 (1); Vandarye (1)

Previous in Forum: Types of Silicone Rubber   Next in Forum: Plastic For Explosion prone areas

Advertisement