Previous in Forum: Extrasolar Planets   Next in Forum: The X-48B Tailless Aircraft
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru
Engineering Fields - Aerospace Engineering - Retired South Africa - Member - The Rainbow-nation Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Relativity & Cosmology Popular Science - Cosmology - The Big Picture!

Good Answers: 68

Droids invade ISS!

06/01/2006 10:15 AM

The sparring of Luke Skywalker of Star Wars with a floating battle droid, may lead to a "droid invasion" of the International Space Station (ISS). One is already up there! Called SPHERES (Synchronized Position Hold Engage Re-orient Experimental Satellite), the mini-satellites serve as a test bed for trying out experimental software to control clusters of satellites.

MIT undergrads have done the design and building. Meet their Droid no. 1 here.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
The Architect
Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5

Fantastic!

06/02/2006 1:41 PM

I love it! This reminds me of drawings I made as a kid of a robot with floating pieces (eyes, hands, etc) that all worked together.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 9

As Seen on TV!

06/02/2006 4:21 PM

These were on TV a month or so ago. It might have been on "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel, not exactly sure. I remember it was part of a larger story about robotics, which included the Mars Rover, I think.

They were really something to watch! Quite fun.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: Extrasolar Planets   Next in Forum: The X-48B Tailless Aircraft
You might be interested in: Integrating Spheres, GPS Chips, GPS Software

Advertisement