Previous in Forum: Coplanarity Limit for QFP components   Next in Forum: Oil Care
Close
Close
Close
24 comments

is there a good cunductive plastic?

03/31/2008 11:11 PM

hi all, ....first time caller...long time listener...

but anyway i was wondering if anyone knows about any kind of plastic that electricity can be passed through without alot of resistance? if you do id like to know, and the place to get it. My second option would be to have a plastic that deosnt have any parisitic qualities to eletrical fields of current, moreover a type of plastic that would not have a detrimental effect on a normally conducive surface. i would really appreciate any lite shed upon this and am eager to hear any and all answers!!

thanks again!!!!!

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Guru

Good Answers: 143

Re: is there a good cunductive plastic?

04/01/2008 6:26 AM

Polyacetylene is a fairly decent conductor. Google for suppliers (or try GlobalSpec). I don't understand the second part of your question. What is a parasitic quality?

Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 31

04/01/2008 10:47 PM

Contact GE Plastic. They have range of products. Fairly good conductive in any plastic. 103 ohms per sq. and above

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 15

04/02/2008 12:46 AM

do a search on ESD plastic/sheeting in the forums, I have answered this (or similar) before..

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/16839#newcomments

Gshuas (above... spelling?) asked a question about explosion proof plastics.. I submitted a plastic we use that is ESD safe..

04/02/2008 1:24 AM

"Neoprene" is the solution. we used that material to remove static electricity on our bodies, but I dont know it is a trademark or not. Good luck.

Register to Reply
Guru
Safety - ESD - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - Amateur Astronomer Technical Fields - Technical Writing - Writer India - Member - Regular CR4 participant Engineering Fields - Optical Engineering - New Member

In reply to #4

04/02/2008 1:28 AM

Firstly Neoprene is not plastic but it is rubber.

Secondly,it is not conductive unless some additives are mixed.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/02/2008 2:02 AM

hmmm, they all seem tasty... but i guess Polyacetylene, seems to fit the bill but ive yet to find a source... ge plastics you say? ill have to look into that one tommorow, i heard of there new plastic called norl, for making hydrogen electrolysis very effecient... but i dont think they let me have some of that.. haha wow its late too bad im excited to read up on these interesting suggestions!

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #6

04/02/2008 4:59 AM

i heard of there new plastic called norl

Do you mean Noryl? That's widely available from GE Plastics.

04/02/2008 4:15 AM

See the sight www.rtpcompany.com

Actually, as I know, no plastic is conductive. These companies add some additives to make it conductive. Thus you may have any plastic like PP, Nylon, PC, ABS conductive.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

04/02/2008 5:26 AM

The 2000 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded for the discovery of conductive (not ESD conductive, but really conductive like copper) plastic.

In reply to #11

04/02/2008 6:42 AM

Thanks for information.

That way I know conductive rubber is also there, conductive polymers (I do not know the difference between this polymer and the plastic) which is used for Relative humidity sensors.

But is this material available commonly at reasonable cost?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #12

04/02/2008 7:51 AM

"But is this material available commonly at reasonable cost?"

Seriously, how would I know the cost and why would I care? The OP asked if there was a plastic conductor and I answered accurately. If you want to buy some, send out some RFQs.

In reply to #7

04/02/2008 9:21 AM

I've seen plastic and rubber compounds that have fine silver particles mixed in as well

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10
In reply to #7

04/02/2008 9:43 AM

qsuhas: When you say "no plastic is conductive", you leave yourself open to people throwing stones at you.

It depends on what one means by "conductive". There are a number of "conductive" polymers, which are also called semi-conductors. These polymers have zero band gap structures, wherein structural C = C bonding in the structure forms continuous orbital overlap. However, these polymers generally have low electronic mobility, as the p-electrons are not as mobile as metallic electrons. There are polyacetylenes, polyanilines, polyfluorenes, polynaphthalenes, etc. Many are made more conductive by doping the polymer. Fairly recently, work has been done using oxidized Iodine doped polypyrrols.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #16

04/02/2008 10:43 PM

You are right Cardio07. I am facing some small stone on my curiocity about availability of these plastics.

Making some thing is complete, when it becomes productionable and available.

Can you please guide on availability of conductive plastics with resistivity of something like 10 6 ohms per square?

Register to Reply

In reply to #20

04/02/2008 11:21 PM

mee too!!

Register to Reply
Associate
Belgium - Member - New Member

04/02/2008 4:20 AM

To My knowledge are all plastic insulators.
Except those who are filled with carbon. Filled with Stainless steel fibres.
or filled with metal powders.

Most easily you find them in blends for die moulded parts.
Some stock material are available

There are 3 categories for conductivity each with a specific conductivity.
unit : ohm/sq (surface resistance)

1. Anti static 1014 – 1010 ohm/sq

2. ESD (Electro Static Discharge) ESD 109 - 106 ohm/sq

3. EMI (Electro Magnetic interference) 106 - 100 ohm/sq

Register to Reply
Associate

04/02/2008 4:57 AM

Not sure about durability etc for your application but the following conductive polymers can be used as coatings on a suitable substrate -

Polyaniline

Polypyrrole

Polythiophene

Recipes are available from all the usual sources.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

04/02/2008 8:38 AM

You may want to try ITO coated PEN or PET, it comes it different resistive values

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - Cardio-7

Good Answers: 10

04/02/2008 9:46 AM

vdubdipr: See response # 16. This may help you a bit more.

Register to Reply

04/02/2008 11:55 AM

oh wow! im learning.... ok so i was talking about noryl!!! they would let me buy that!??!??!?!? really? my toes are tingling...

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Old New Member

Good Answers: 93
In reply to #18

04/03/2008 4:19 AM

Noryl is available from GE Plastics & from converters and material suppliers all over the world. You can buy it in pellet form for moulding & as sheet, bar, plate and other forms.

It is not, to the best of my knowledge, conductive although I guess it could be made to conduct by using a suitable filler.

04/02/2008 12:17 PM

OK, humor me. What did I miss in this thread? The original post was for a plastic that will pass electricity without a lot of resistance, and now it turns out to be Noryl???

Good Answers: 3

04/03/2008 12:49 PM

GE Plastics sold out to SABIC (www.sabic-ip.com). SABIC is still using GE's website.

In order to carry current in a polymer you have to add a filler. SABIC has a LNP line of products specifically for this purpose. It is called Faradex. You may want to look at other suppliers that use carbon, aluminum or copper for fillers. There is only so much you can add as a filler since every added percentage will change your base polymer properties.

You didn't mention what other properties that the base plastic has to withstand (temp, solvents, etc.). No matter, call SABIC but be prepared to answer this question.

Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Education - New Member Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member

Good Answers: 13
In reply to #23

04/03/2008 7:52 PM

In order to carry current in a polymer you have to add a filler.

I just want to clarify an important point that others have touched upon: there exist two basic categories of electrically conductive polymers. The more common category includes non-conducting polymers made conductive by blending in a conducting filler. The other category includes polymers that are inherently conductive and thus require no filler.

Since the vast majority of pure polymers are inherently non-conductive, most "conductive polymers" are actually blends in which electrical conductivity derives completely from conductive fillers (for example powdered graphite, or powdered metal). By comparison, only a few polymers are actually inherently conductive due to electronic conjugation through the polymer backbone (doped polyacetylenes, polypyrroles and polyanilines).

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

albatros (1); Anonymous Poster (3); Cardio07 (2); Farman@skynet.be (1); FlyBlue (1); gsuhas (5); Nigh (2); plaasteek (1); Snaketails (1); svengali (1); TVP45 (4); vdubdipr (2)

Previous in Forum: Coplanarity Limit for QFP components   Next in Forum: Oil Care

Advertisement