Previous in Forum: Happy Birthday, NASA (July 29, 1958)   Next in Forum: The X-Moon??
Close
Close
Close
6 comments
Friend of CR4

Good Answers: 35

Lost: The Original Moon Landing Tapes

07/31/2006 8:53 AM

On July 20, 1969, astronauts first landed on the moon. On that day, a special video camera designed by Westinghouse, hardened to survive the harsh lunar atmosphere, sent high-quality images of the event back to Earth. Unfortunately, these exact images were not the ones viewed by millions of people around the globe. The video images produced by the camera were incompatible with commercial television broadcasting equipment, so NASA engineers used a simple workaround. They aimed a commercial TV camera at the display feed and, voila, the lower quality, ghostly images of Neil Armstrong stepping out of the Eagle lander that were are so familiar with, were transmitted. The high quality feeds were not seen outside of Mission Control in Houston.

In the ensuing years, these high quality tapes were moved from one storage facility to another and subsequently lost. NASA is trying to find them as the magnetic tape on which they are stored degrades over time. Similar NASA tapes have turned up in the garages of one time NASA engineers as well as the Goddard Space Flight Center (where the collection is supposed to be housed). So, do you know where the Moon Landing tapes are? If so, NASA wants to know.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
Popular Science - Evolution - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 918

Simple

07/31/2006 11:37 AM

Check eBay. I am sure they will turn up there.

Associate

Found !!!

08/01/2006 6:51 AM

Here's the story here at the following link you can even hear a transcript of them at the top right in the radio link of this page,
EnjoY from mdbobbo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1552367.stm

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 9
In reply to #2

Re:Found !!!

08/01/2006 11:16 AM

NO. That article describes an AUDIO tape of the radio transmissions from the astronauts and the mission controllers in Houston during the landing and shortly after.

The missing VIDEO tapes show Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepping out onto the surface of the moon, including Armstrong's famous quote, "That's one small step for Man, and one giant leap for Mankind". There was actually a small mistake in what he said, from what he was supposed to say. It was to be, "...one small step for a man" not "...one small step for Man". It would have made more sense, but everyone understood what he was trying to say anyway.

Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member United States - Member - New Member Engineering Fields - Mechanical Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 9

Jimmy Hoffa took them.

08/01/2006 8:53 AM

He was planning to show them to Elvis. They were going to prove that the moon landing was faked.

ROFLMAO

Spain - Member - New Member

In reply to #3

Re:Jimmy Hoffa took them.

08/01/2006 10:43 AM

Yup, it was me. I have the tapes. and i'm not giving them back for less than....$1 million.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129
In reply to #4

Re:Jimmy Hoffa took them.

08/03/2006 4:05 PM

Um, Tiny Elvis, actually Elvis Presley Enterprises brings in 40 million dollars a year. $1 Million dollars seems a bit, um forgive me here, tiny.

Reply to Forum Thread 6 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Hero (1); Bayes (1); mdbobbo (1); STL Engineer (2); Tiny Elvis (1)

Previous in Forum: Happy Birthday, NASA (July 29, 1958)   Next in Forum: The X-Moon??

Advertisement