Previous in Forum: The X-Moon??   Next in Forum: Mars Is Coming to Us!
Close
Close
Close
2 comments
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 32

Piezoelectric Polymer Films for Space Telescopes

08/08/2006 1:45 PM

NASA plans to test a package of piezoelectric polymer films from Sandia National Laboratories during the Materials International Space Station Experiment (MISSE-6) in 2007. Space telescopes equipped with piezoelectric polymer films will be quite different from the Hubble, which was deployed into orbit in 1990 and uses the traditional polished glass mirror approach, and the James Webb Space Telescope scheduled for launch in 2013, which will be made of 18 beryllium mirror segments. Instead, the new polymer film mirrors will be lightweight, and — because of their piezoelectric qualities — can adjust focal lengths when electrical fields are remotely applied.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Great stuff

08/09/2006 9:50 AM

This is a great idea and I will enjoy following this technology. Thanks a lot for sharing this. It is things like this that makes checking in everyday worth while.

Guru
India - Member - Sensors Technology Popular Science - Cosmology - Dream, Think and Act United Kingdom - Member - New Member United States - Member - New Member Canada - Member - New Member

Location: AM-51, Deen Dayal Nagar, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, MP 474001, India
Good Answers: 32
In reply to #1

Re:Piezoelectric films

09/03/2006 1:40 PM

I have used such Piezoelectric films 25 years ago and perhaps they were manufactured by a company under name Kynar.

I found this article

http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=kynar+Piezo electric+films&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Anaesthesia. 1989 Apr;44(4):332-4.
A Kynar piezoelectric film respirometer.
Moyle JT.
Milton Keynes Hospital.

This paper describes a new technique for measuring respiratory gas flows and volumes using polyvinylidene fluoride film.

PMID: 2719207 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Perhaps if you search for more web sites on Kynar Piezo Sensors then you may get much more. I am not sure if this company which developed the films is any more in same business but name is still there.

Film used to be very thin 0.2mm and small touch used to generate several volts pulse. Amazing. It was also used for temperature sensing.

Shyam

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Previous in Forum: The X-Moon??   Next in Forum: Mars Is Coming to Us!

Advertisement