Previous in Forum: My first Supercomputer   Next in Forum: Fiber Optics on Aircraft
Close
Close
Close
4 comments
Power-User
United Kingdom - Member - New Member Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Good Answers: 3

When #9 becomes 134340

09/14/2006 4:29 PM

More on the demotion of Pluto from planetary status. What was once the 9th planet of the Solar System is now being referred to as asteroid number 134340 by the Minor Planet Center.

Jerks...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Active Contributor

Re: When #9 becomes 134340

09/14/2006 4:40 PM

One has to wonder what Disney's take on this is.

Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

09/14/2006 5:16 PM

I'm sorry, I don't recognize the International Astronomical Union as an authoritative organization on the subject of planet qualification. Also, as a consequence of the International Astronomical Union no longer being an authoritative organization, I'm renaming them the "a bunch of random scientists".

So I'm sorry to hear that a bunch of random scientists no longer realizes there are 9 planets.

Power-User
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member

Good Answers: 1

09/14/2006 8:58 PM

Are there other organizations recognized as responsible for classifying planets? I'm still a bit confused by the uproar over the "demotion" of Pluto. It doesn't change any facts about the planet. It's still out there, still orbiting the sun. What would prompt this organization to change it's criteria regarding what does and does not qualify as a planet?

Engineering Fields - Software Engineering - S/W Architect Popular Science - Evolution - Fascinating! Fans of Old Computers - TRS-80 - A fine computer United States - US - Statue of Liberty - NY

Good Answers: 5
In reply to #3

09/14/2006 9:51 PM

Maybe they don't want to host a "it's a new planet!" party every time someone names one of the bigger hunks of rock floating around out there. They're nipping that one in the bud!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Bayes (1); KasterKid (1); mgaulin (1); water buffalo (1)

Previous in Forum: My first Supercomputer   Next in Forum: Fiber Optics on Aircraft

Advertisement