Previous in Forum: Weight of plate steel   Next in Forum: 2 cycle motor on a 25 year old lawn boy push mower
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 2

Differentiating Nylon6 and Nylon66

09/05/2008 12:27 AM

Is there any test by which we can differentiate Nylon6 and Nylon66. I has a component that was fabricated from Nylon but it is unknown to us that which Nylon it is, Nylon6 or Nylon66.

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Associate

Good Answers: 3

Re: Differentiating Nylon6 and Nylon66

09/06/2008 9:49 AM

Probably the easiest test to determine the difference is their melting temperature. Nylon 6 melts around 420° F and Nylon 6/6 melts higher, around 500° F. The deflection temperature under load (DFUL) is higher with 6/6.

With all this in mind, there are exceptions. Get a material cert from the supplier to end all speculation.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

09/06/2008 4:29 PM

You may also be dealing with 610 Nylon, but I agree that the best approach is to look at the melting (softening) point.

In reply to #2

09/06/2008 8:15 PM

I believe the question was between nylon 6 and 66, not 610.

Nylons are semi-crystanlines and do not soften. They have a sharp melting point, although there are some amorphous ones in the market.

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18
In reply to #3

09/06/2008 10:40 PM

Agreed, but melting point is also a function of the specific molecular weight of the polymer.

09/07/2008 11:50 AM

Melting point determination is one option. The other option could be the determination of the molecular weight. Nylon 66 is a polymer of hexamethylenediamine and adipic acid, whereas Nylon 6 is a polymer of caprolactam. The determination of carbon and nitrogen should be carried out through an analyzer called HCN Elemental analyzer.

Register to Reply
Associate

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #5

09/09/2008 7:28 AM

Can you through some light on HCN analyser?

In reply to #5

08/05/2010 1:38 AM

Dear Friends , Hi I am sanket jejani , i manufacture glass filled nylon insulators for railway ,, previously we used Dupont Zytel nylon 66 33% GF,,,,it is very expensive material ..around Rs 200/KG or 4 $ per Kg ..... i am looking for material less than 2 $ or less than 90 rs ...... can any one suggest source for me ... I can accept scrap or regrind material , i asked for some regrind material from a company ..... but melting point which i require is 259 and above and presently i am getting 235 c ....can any one suggest how to increase melting point .....

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 7 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (2); Anonymous Poster (2); Paras Desai (1); plaasteek (1); prestigetrack (1)

Previous in Forum: Weight of plate steel   Next in Forum: 2 cycle motor on a 25 year old lawn boy push mower
You might be interested in: Faucets, Nuts, Lifting Slings

Advertisement