Previous in Forum: Landmines and Seismic Sensing   Next in Forum: Designing Moulded Precision Gears
Close
Close
Close
12 comments
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

Help! My Refrigerator is Leaking!

09/24/2008 6:02 AM

I have a Frigidaire Gallery Professional Series Model #FRS26ZSH side by side in SS, with ice maker. It's occasionally leaks water on to my hardwood floor. It seems to leak out under the door. I've shut off the water to the ice-maker, cleaned out everything in the back, and made sure it's level.

Sometimes it will go days without leaking, then pour about a cup of water onto the floor. It's about 7 years olds, and I payed a small fortune for it. Is it time for a new one?

this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru
Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

Re: Help! My refrigerator is leaking!

09/24/2008 7:26 AM
Engineering Fields - Manufacturing Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member United States - Member - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 17

09/24/2008 10:37 AM

That drain sounds fishy... I have an ice maker, it has a water supply, but no drain. I had several refrigerators and none of them had drains.

I think the insulation around the evaporator may have broken down, that would allow condensation to drip out onto the floor.

The reason it only occasionally is the moisture level in the air maybe dry enough you condensation doesn't happen until you get a humid day.

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #2

09/26/2008 1:42 AM

Not only will you find that there is a drain and a drip catch pan underneath all these refrigerators, one of the main features that goes wrong with a frost-free is the relay for the daily cyclical defrost heating element (which looks just like something you might find in the bottom of a dishwasher, usually behind the inner back-wall) or the timer for this relay starts to go on the fritz (apologies to any engineers named Fritz). This feature may surprise some, but it is the trick that keeps the whole thing from becoming a big block of ice. If you can remove the bottom drawers to reveal the floor of the fridge, and you can pour water in and get it to stay, you need to find and clean the drain system. Blowing back on the tube works to some degree, but usually the clog is something like meat juices congealed etc and will require a multitude of methods in concert to be effective. Hot water, patience, toothbrush, miracle etc.

Good Answers: 2

09/24/2008 2:26 PM

Some refrigerators have a pan behind the front grille on the bottom that will fill with water on occasion. Also, check your connections on the back/bottom of the fridge where water is routed through the unit via solenoid valve.

Power-User

Good Answers: 6

Re: Help! My Refrigerator is Leaking!

09/24/2008 11:54 PM

As ozzb says , check the drain.

All fridges defrost themselves daily and the " condensate " or water must go somewhere . Your big side by side will probably drain to a pan located underneath the fridge and the heat given off by the compressor is used to evaporate the water away. Pull out the fridge and check for obvious leaks at the ice maker water valves and hoses. If all is ok there , look for a hose that runs to a collection pan and drips water into it . Make sure the pan has not been dislodged by a wayward vacume cleaner or broom etc., if so make sure pan is relocated properly to recieve the drips from the drain hose . If all looks good you have a plugged drain hose .

Now , do what is required to get the hose to your mouth , grasp your hand around the hose end ensuring that your mouth dosent contact the hose as it is teaming with bacteria . Make an air tight connection and blow like crazy until you clear the hose .

I suggest that you now clean out the fridge as the crap you cleared out of the hose will now be inside your fridge . Also , look for a plastic cup mounted high on the back inside wall of fridge , remove by simply pulling it out and clean it out . This should solve your problem , if not come back and we will try again.

Good Answers: 23

09/25/2008 2:57 AM

I had to pour hot water with some bleach in mine once it stopped up. But anonther time the unit just needed to be vaccumed undernearth so it would work better. Espically if you have pets or cats. Fur in the evaporator.

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

09/25/2008 4:24 AM

You have loads of good and possibly correct answers above.

I had a similar problem that it collected water faster than it could evaporate it so I added a drain and a large polythene canister to collect the runoff. This gave me a lot of great distilled water for the steam iron!!

I placed it in the cupboard under the fridge (in my case). Problem solved!!

The possible cause is that the fridg door is being opened far too often and wet air is replacing the dried air inside each time.....get the kids* to stop opening the door every 5 minutes.....

* = or thirsty men and a football game.......

United States - Member - Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 50

09/25/2008 8:17 AM

There is a evap drain tube. I have seen material (sometimes food) block this. Check for blockage.

Make sure the water fill level in the I/M is not too high. Sometimes the water valve will stick open too long and overfill the I/M.

Make sure the drain pan hasn't filled with debris or other junk. Saw several in which mice or other varmints had left "treasures", decreasing the volume of the pan.

Also, if necessary, you should try many of the good tips you've gotten.

One more thing...check the country of manufacture on your product ID label in the cabinet, and let us know that bit of info. I might be able to provide additional support if we can get that tidbit.

09/25/2008 8:50 AM

Seven years old is not even a good start for that brand of fridge. My sainted Grandmother had one that lasted over 50 years. Just be happy that it is a condensate problem. I had a the solenoid valve that fills the ice maker develop a slow leak. It over a couple days completely filled the freezer section where it of course turned into a giant solid block of ice. Nice to find upon your return from holiday.

Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Commentator

09/25/2008 2:16 PM

I hear the Maytag repairman has some time on his hands

Register to Reply
Power-User
Fans of Old Computers - Vector 1 - New Member

Good Answers: 1

09/25/2008 4:41 PM

Take a moment and test the seal on the door. Just run your hand around the seal with the doors closed. Also open doors and inspect seals.

Branson

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Register to Reply Score 1 for Good Answer
Guru
United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73

09/26/2008 6:02 AM

Thanks guys!! This chore is on my "to do" list for the weekend, (among many, many, more to prepare for old man winter). I'll file a full report once repaired.

Thanks again!!!

Uma thanks you too!

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (1); Anonymous Poster (1); BRANSON (1); Bricktop (1); CJMcGill (1); dadw5boys (1); Labyguy (1); machine head (1); master of none (1); ozzb (1); SGQ (1); standarded (1)

Previous in Forum: Landmines and Seismic Sensing   Next in Forum: Designing Moulded Precision Gears

Advertisement