Previous in Forum: Can You Hear Venous Blood Flow?   Next in Forum: Magnetic Radiation Sickness
Close
Close
Close
Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Guru

Good Answers: 88

Unwelcome Guest

11/05/2008 4:02 PM

Yesterday evening I went to the kitchen and found a scorpion in my sink.

I live in central Texas where my wife and I just purchased a modest ranch (which we promptly dubbed Inn Over Our Heads (Scorpion Ranch). Scorpions abound -- my estimates are about 1,000-1,500/acre -- and occasionally they get into the house. These scorpions are usually dormant this time of year (yes, it can get quite cold in Texas), but once in awhile you find one roaming about the garage. I suspect the one in the pix below hitchhiked in yesterday on a string-mop left out in the garage the day before.

You have to be very careful to inspect what you bring into the house (and ALWAYS remember to wear shoes or slippers when you walk around and ALWAYS remember to check said shoes or slippers for occupants before putting them on) so that you don't bring in any unwelcome guests. Last week's company, for instance, included a coral snake and a black widow. Fortunately for us our cat kept the snake out of the house proper.

Ah, the joys of Country Living...

In the pix below you'll notice that the scorpion appears to glow. That's because it is glowing! God, in His infinite wisdom, built these critters to fluoresce under ultraviolet light (UV). This makes them easy to find and dispatch -- provided they are out in the open for all to see. I have killed 62 of them in the last two months.

Pretty soon I'll have enough scorpion hides to make a new pair of boots.

In most of these pix below the room lighting has a yellow cast to it. This is because of the blue-blocking (yellow) filter I installed on the camera to improve the contrast between the glowing scorpion and its surroundings.

In addition to the yellow filter, I installed a second, UV-blocking filter to eliminate the blue-magenta 'glare' you get when photographing subjects under UV light. The yellow filter does not block UV, making the second filter necessary. In one of the pix below I removed the filters so that you can see the difference they make in the final print.

Hope you enjoy the show!

If we could only train him to set the table...!

Next, a closer view...

And closer still...

Now, smile for the camera...

Without UV and yellow filters installed...

A bit forlorn-looking, wouldn't you say? You'd be, too, if you'd been drenched in green Palmolive dish soap...

I squirted some on him to slow 'im down (they can run quite fast for such short legs). Turns out green Palmolive dish soap also fluoresces under UV (am I paying extra for this? The antibacterial version doesn't glow at all!). Those green 'cloudy'-looking patches? Dish soap. Fortunately for the camera Bubba glows much brighter.

Here he is getting a well-deserved tan, courtesy of 32 Nichia 400 nm high-intensity LEDs...

See? It worked! (Not really. These scorpions range in color from brown to beige to honey-colored. All of them glow under UV.)

These last two pix show Bubba's size compared with a nickel and a penny (show me da money!). The following pic is taken with a mix of white and UV light...

And with white light only...

In spite of their diminutive size (max: about three inches), these critters pack a wallop. I was stung on the hand shortly after I moved here. If you wanna know how it feels to be stung by one of these babies, just imagine someone suddenly driving a large nail completely through your hand with a nail gun.

There are 60 species of scorpion in the US, with all but four species west of the Mississippi River. The species shown here is quite venemous and should be treated with respect -- and dish soap.

Hope y'all enjoyed the show!

-e

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: scorpions texas Ultraviolet Light UV
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru
United States - Member - New Member Technical Fields - Technical Writing - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Organizer Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Engineering Fields - Nuclear Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 33

Re: Unwelcome Guest

11/05/2008 4:31 PM

Great pics and a great story, europium. Thanks for sharing.

Register to Reply
Power-User
Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 5

11/05/2008 9:16 PM

Thank you, really enjoyed that little lesson. The pictures were great.

Good Answers: 6

11/06/2008 12:13 AM

Geetings, europium,

Wow! CR4 has suddenly become scientific! (Joke.) Thanks for the dissertation and great photos. What did you use for the UV source?

Regards,

Good Answers: 55

11/06/2008 3:20 AM

Europium?

No, but I can saddle and ride em!

Sorry I couldn't resist that!

Last week I saw an article in which the unfertilized embryo of a cat, was injected with the cells from a jellyfish that make it glow. When the cat was born, and bathed in UV, sure enough that critter glowed in the dark.

I'm not sure what it proves but someone obviously had money to burn, probably Uncle Same!

Nice post. Thanks for the effort. I have those nasty bugs on my property in Mexico and the rule is, never put on your shoes without making sure they empty!

L. J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #4

11/06/2008 10:57 AM

Yessir, Iropium.

LOL

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 23

11/06/2008 4:53 AM

I noticed that he had very considerately fallen into the disposal side of the sink. That is about as good as it gets at cleanup time!

In reply to #5

11/06/2008 11:03 AM

Yeah, they don't like disposals. A few weeks ago one of 'em complained that it makes him dizzy...

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 23
In reply to #11

11/06/2008 1:10 PM

You can't please everyone, and if you end up displeasing one of these nasty little boogers, well......

United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 20
In reply to #21

11/06/2008 1:23 PM

My suggestion is that if you MUST displease one, you displease him to death!

Hobbies - Fishing - Old Salt Hobbies - CNC - New Member United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member

Good Answers: 266

11/06/2008 7:51 AM

I lived in Odessa while working in the oil field around there. Coming from the East Coast my first incounter was having one come wondering across the den floor while watching TV one night.

Learned to keep my shoes on and shake out everything.

http://www.bugspray.com/article/scorpions.html

Good Answers: 6

11/06/2008 8:43 AM

I live in Minnesota where it gets quite cold and I'm sure others wonder why with all the places on earth I would choose to live here (land of Al Franken, Jesse Ventura and assorted other political goofballs)...we don't have scorpions, black widow spiders and coral snakes. My advice...move. Good Luck.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 55
In reply to #7

11/06/2008 9:25 AM

"...we don't have scorpions, black widow spiders and coral snakes."

But you do have some great fishing and great writers (Robert Bly)

L.J.

"Both the revolutionary and the creative individual are perpetual juveniles. The revolutionary does not grow up because he cannot grow, while the creative individual cannot grow up because he keeps growing." Eric Hoffer
Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

11/06/2008 12:15 PM

Someone from Minnesota once told me that it gets so cold there that the flashers only describe themselves.

I love living in Texas, but I wouldn't mind giving New Zealand a shot, tho. Fabulous country.

Register to Reply
Guru
United States - US - Statue of Liberty - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

In reply to #15

11/06/2008 12:37 PM

Too true - I've spent a lot of time in Grapevine, Abilene, Midland-Odessa, and San Angelo. Wonderful part of the state. I also have relatives in Lubbock and near Waco - a little less wonderful, but still Texas!

In reply to #16

11/06/2008 12:50 PM

Once, while driving through Midland-Odessa, my eldest daughter complained about the smell -- hydrogen sulfide from oil wells -- and asked me, "Daddy what is that awful smell?"

"Honey," I told her, "that's the smell of money."

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 5)
Guru

In reply to #17

11/06/2008 12:59 PM

Sho' 'nuff is! Money stinks, but it stinks pretty... Good thing she didn't need a drink of water, it tastes the same as the air smells out there.

In reply to #15

11/06/2008 6:58 PM

Actually, it got so cold one winter that the words froze as soon as they left your mouth, and fell on the floor, and you had to sweep them up towards the fireplace to hear what was being said.

And when you broke wind, it froze and rolled down your leg like a walnut.They were used for kindling, but you had to be careful not to put too many in at once or you could blow out the chimney.

WE used to have fart fights.Put a fuse in em and light em and throw em at each other . Not quite an M80, but close.

You had to watch out for doze lumpy ones, cuz de had a lot of "crapnel"

Yea, dem wuz de days ov innocent chile hood.Jus good cleen fun.Kids now daze don no how to play.

Missin Minnesota

Register to Reply Score 1 for Off Topic
Guru

In reply to #30

11/06/2008 10:11 PM

Lawdy, chile'! Y'all soun' like yo Missin' 'Sippi, not 'Sota!

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 18

11/06/2008 10:38 AM

I have only encountered a live scorpion once. That was in the bathroom sink in a "bando" in Ruaha National (Animal) Park in Tanzania. I killed it (smashed it) with an ash tray. Subsequently, I asked one of the folks that lived in the area and they said the sting was exceptionally painful but only would last about 45 minutes. Was that your experience? I would assume such a sting could be fatal if one has an allergic reaction as some do with bees and wasps.

In reply to #9

11/06/2008 12:11 PM

You can credit the great folks at our local ER for the fact that I'm posting this right now.

Register to Reply
Guru
Panama - Member - New Member Hobbies - CNC - New Member Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 213
In reply to #9

11/06/2008 12:59 PM

I have scientifically demonstrated beyond all reasonable doubt that the sting of a scorpion is definitely fatal. I have been stung twice, and in neither case did the critter survive...

Register to Reply Off Topic (Score 4)
Guru

In reply to #18

11/06/2008 1:03 PM

Proof enuff fer me!

In reply to #18

11/06/2008 10:14 PM

"I have scientifically demonstrated beyond all reasonable doubt that the sting of a scorpion is definitely fatal. I have been stung twice, and in neither case did the critter survive..."

--

So, after two strikes do you think you'll ever re-marry?

Guru

11/06/2008 11:31 AM

Great presentation, thank you! Even the least dangerous of scorpions, the Vinegaroon, has a painful sting. Are you certain you had a coral snake? There are at least three color mimics that are harmless, and I don't recall the coral's range extending into central TX (although it could). The coral's color pattern is alternating wide black and red bands separated by narrow yellow stripes, and is distinctive of only the coral.

In reply to #12

11/06/2008 12:07 PM

It was a coral snake, most indeedy. Here in Texas you learn who's who and what to look for at a very tender age. One of those survival skills that comes with the territory.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 115

11/06/2008 1:40 PM

In reply to #23

11/06/2008 3:42 PM

I'll bet THAT'S got a whang to it! So they taste like wood, do they? Pine doesn't taste like oak...

In reply to #24

11/06/2008 5:36 PM

I never said I'd tasted it ! On occasion, I grab one of these .

In reply to #25

11/06/2008 5:44 PM

I never said you'd tasted it either - that came from the notes accompanying the recipe. But different kinds of wood have different scents and flavors. Do scorpions taste like balsa or balsam? Oak or elm? Pine or palm? I'm still hung up on that canned haggis - looked for all the WORLD like Alpo! Wot's that taste like, then?

In reply to #26

11/06/2008 6:16 PM

That was a ROFL "!" . As to the dog food tasting, here's the man .

In reply to #26

11/07/2008 12:35 AM

ps - here's the latest in my mini-series of canned delights ;

In reply to #37

11/07/2008 7:41 AM

Holy torn leotards, Batman! Where do you find this shit? You've gotta be the most talented, resourceful and demented Squirrel this side of Eternity. Sicko!

Guru

In reply to #41

11/07/2008 8:33 AM

Sicko? Check out these guys! http://www.shop.osgrowonline.co.uk/

In reply to #41

11/07/2008 12:02 PM

That would give a whole new meaning to "boil in the bag"!!!

In reply to #43

11/07/2008 12:39 PM

To remain marginally useful, and avoid getting the sack (), I've just found that 'boil in the bag' is 40 years old ; http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/fl20080217x3.html

I didn't realize it went back that far ! MRE's were about the same time, but aren't exctly the same. Haggis doesn't count, 'cos it hasn't got a tasty artificial bag. Beware of where you eat in London !

United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

Good Answers: 73
In reply to #44

11/07/2008 12:55 PM

The yummy wild Haggis:

United States - Member - Charter Member Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - Charter Member

In reply to #45

11/07/2008 12:59 PM

Chit-lins are almost as good as Haggis:

"Chitterlings (often pronounced /ˈtʃɪtlɪnz/ and sometimes spelled chitlins or chittlins in vernacular) are the intestines and rectum of a pig that have been prepared as food. They are a type of offal."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings

In reply to #46

11/07/2008 1:10 PM

They ain't so offal, they's actually pretty good, cooked up right!

Don't forget menudo...

In reply to #46

11/07/2008 1:12 PM

What is this. Some sort of culinary self-flagellation? Besides the Scots' sublime contributions to the culinary world, we've got the Hong Kong Market in Houston where you can buy pre-packaged pork dork (no, I don't have the pic and I'm not gonna put one up. Kris 'borrowed' my album and gave it to his 'pen' pal as an anniversary gift ). Seems certain asian peoples believe eating this...er...thingie gives them virility. Truly amazing.

Here, have some viagra. I'm tall enough, thank you.

Chop-chop.

Guru

In reply to #50

11/07/2008 1:29 PM

There are many, many, other uses for this organ:

http://www.fashionablecanes.com/Bull_Organ_Penis_Walking_Cane.html?gclid=CIKZxujY45YCFQQRswodh00gOw

And, no, I'm not posting a picture ether, for the same reason.

In reply to #45

11/07/2008 1:09 PM

Free-range haggis on the hoof! Who knew?

In reply to #45

11/08/2008 3:48 AM

Presumably they die when laying that egg !

In reply to #44

11/07/2008 1:07 PM

MRE's are the successor to what we had in Viet Nam called a LRRP - Long Range Ration Package - that took the place of C-rats (rations, not real rats, altho' in some cases, maybe). It's propouncinated "LURP". Haggis ought to count, it's boiled, and it's in a "bag", right?

In reply to #47

11/07/2008 1:40 PM

"Long Range Ration Package"

How'd it get that name? Was it called "cannon fodder" in a previous life? What is the range, anyway?

Our military leaders, in their infinite wisdom, took inventory and found that the 'new' acronym had grown as stale as the rations themselves and re-named it yet again:

ICBRP (profundicated "Ick-Burp"): Inter-Continental Ballistic Ration Pod. Same shit, different day. It even contains MIRVS, also known as "toothpicks" in the vernacular. You figure out the acronym. I was up all night plotting trajectories.

Guru

In reply to #52

11/07/2008 4:27 PM

From the intended use by long range patrols. Easier to carry the dehydrated ration packages than cases of C-rations. The guys carrying them were called "cannon fodder" sometimes. The stuff was not cordon bleu cuisine, but was palatable, mostly.

In reply to #47

11/08/2008 3:47 AM

Haggis ought to count....

If you really must, but including natural containers like stomach/intestine etc means we have to include sausage.

Is/was the MRE thing in Wiki's article true - "Meals refusing to Exit" ? I'm pretty sure I'd have been crapping myself in Viet Nam !

In reply to #54

11/08/2008 12:33 PM

"..."Meals refusing to Exit" ?"

How do you think they make haggis, anyway? Those Scots thought of MREs long before we did...

Guru

In reply to #56

11/08/2008 1:19 PM

ROFL ! It tastes good tho' - shame you guys can't get your hands on the real thing .

In reply to #57

11/08/2008 3:11 PM

Tell you what. I'll stop by your place on the way home from work (it's a bit of a detour, I admit, but I'm game), you take me to your fave pub and tank me up on 25-30 pints of good grog (I'm buying), then have the ambulance take me to your favorite haggis joint, blindfolded.

What are friends for?

Guru

In reply to #60

11/09/2008 3:09 AM

Sounds good to me, just don't tell anyone your 'game' - you might get shot !

I've never really pondered where the best place to get haggis is. Anywhere south of Berwick is highly suspicious, whether it's in some eatery or from a butcher. Visit Scotland at Hogmanay, and you'll be unable to avoid Haggis. To cut down on costs, conceal yourself in a coat stitched from stomach, and have FedEx freight you over. Directions will be sent to you in due course .

In reply to #64

11/09/2008 9:46 AM

You forgot the 'grog' part. Tell me about the grog. This is very important, because regular anesthesia isn't sufficiently effective.

Guru

In reply to #65

11/09/2008 4:16 PM

The fact that I forget that detail should tell you a fair bit ! Scotland has some good beers, but usually bottled. I like mine hand pulled by a buxom serving wench. Whisky is pretty much obligatory with Haggis - in fact it's pretty much obligatory anytime in Scotland. If you visit someone at home (even early morning) the offer of a drink usually means a Whisky < dull thud as thousands of Californians keel-over >. The sensible thing to do would be to start off in Scotland for some decent food and selective drinking, then stagger Southward via some Brit style pubs with real ale. The White Cliffs of Dover were specifically designed to help me avoid ending up in France. When my head hurts I know to crawl onto a train for London, then board the sleeper train for Scotland where I can repeat the process.

In reply to #70

11/09/2008 5:29 PM

Well, just don't end up in Folkstone on the wrong set of tracks. You might get run over by Lance Armstrong's ghost. That's not too bad, all things considered, but most of his competition still think they're in Calais and wouldn't know a Folkstone if one landed on their heads from On High. Knowaddimean?

I'm headed for Bordeaux. Need anything?

Guru

In reply to #73

11/10/2008 4:16 AM

Yeah, I lost my Carol King LP years back, and if you can nip along to Calais, some burgers would be nice.

In reply to #64

11/09/2008 6:06 PM

"Visit Scotland at Hogmanay,......"

Well, I visited (vicariously), and found this. Gawd, what a hoot!

--

Queen stays at arm's length

From the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, first published Wednesday 5th Jan 2000.

MILLIONS of TV viewers watching the midnight frolics at the Millennium Dome were perplexed. No, not at the struggle to get in by 3,000 guests who didn't get their tickets sent while the People's Prime Minister and selected pals whisked there on a tube line reserved for their private use, but by the Queen's apparent reluctance to cross arms with Tony Blair during the singing of Auld Lang Syne.

But we are told that Her Majesty got it right - and that those who know their Scottish traditions do not hold hands at all until the singing of the last verse, no matter that millions of ignorant Sassenachs and folk the world over have been doing the very opposite every New Year's Eve for donkey's years.

I am sure that we are all now very grateful to the Queen for showing us the right way.

Make a note of it if you want the protocol to be correct at the next Millennium do -there are only 365,246 days to go.

However, no matter what we are told about the rights and wrongs of linking up manually with one's neighbour during the rendition of Auld Lang Syne and the Queen's supposedly superior knowledge of the same, the image that came across on the night was of a monarch who hasn't a clue what the common touch is and is a stiff and snooty old woman who is light years out of touch with her people.

The institution she represents is, I think, hardly likely to see the end of the century, never mind the next millennium - and largely because of how aloofly she represents it now.

Guru

In reply to #74

11/10/2008 4:29 AM

ROFL

I'm still trying to figure out which picture cane first !

In reply to #78

11/10/2008 11:24 AM

Ah, but which one has the glowing piles? Or do they both and she's pissed because his are bigger.

Guru

In reply to #54

11/10/2008 6:11 AM

Didn't read the Wiki article, so I can't comment on others. Never had any difficulties myself in that respect. And why not include sausages? A good Landjaeger and a pint - that's some good eatin'!

In reply to #79

11/10/2008 7:10 AM

I didn't even want to go to Haggis, 'cos I was on the can(s).

Don't panic, It's for feeding them ! Corn and apples apparently.

In reply to #80

11/10/2008 12:03 PM

Somebody's on drugs if they mistook that CAN for a BOX! It pretty clearly isn't a turtle, tho'...

Good Answers: 12

11/06/2008 6:23 PM

In Texas, the species of snake you mentioned is almost certainly a King snake...a Coral snake mimicker (Batesian mimickry).

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #28

11/06/2008 9:14 PM

The species on my patio was a coral snake. Quite.

Those two snakes shown in your pic are as different as day is from night and there's no mistaking which is which. Not only are the markings very different, but for comparably-sized snakes the heads differ greatly in size between the two species. A coral snake's head is much smaller. There was no confusing it with a king snake, which we also have here and which is beneficial.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #31

11/10/2008 9:40 AM

No disagreement or argument intended behind post or pix:

The pics were merely for exhibit (not proof) purposes; although people tend to think of snakes by their 'folio' pics, they actually display (phenotypically) in wide varieties—same as people—of intra- as well as inter-species appearances.... (Said a nuther way ... my way of apprising that that king snake's photo which most closely mimics the Texas varieties of coral snake could not in short order be found on the Web.)

Anyhow, I would never argue a point (what you saw but I did not) which is inarguable; however, it is noteworthy (just for fun, mind you) that in Texas, the nation's most urbanized state, the statistically significant chance that any (lifelong) Texas resident will see a coral snake in the wild in a lifetime is…zero...or there'bouts! So your experience places you in very rare company indeed, especially so for a relative latecomer (i.e., a "true Texan") in that state. Another…"factuality" (how's that for a Texas coinage?) that always places such claims in doubt (as I'm sure you'll agree) is that typically (which is to say, except for vocational/"avocational" snake handlers and specialists), the panic reaction (in older children and adults) that accompanies actual snake encounters will cast a cloud over "details" reported later about the encounter. It's one thing to talk of snakes; quite another to run into one…and in a place like Texas where talk is cheap and abundant, that (uncertainty born of fear) accounts for great numbers of snakes being senselessly as well as needlessly slaughtered.

The characterization of one (non-venomous, i.e., non-threatening to people) snake species as beneficial, in that it implies "anti-beneficial" as regards other species is not inarguable. That king snakes (for their own benefit) prey on rattlesnakes might prove beneficial to rattle snake prey…which, in due course might be detrimental to people and their property as incidental "victims" (say) of rodents; but since rattlers never prey on people, in fact will avoid them, to say that king snakes are beneficial in that sense requires a tortured (a very natural) kind of logic. Similarly, given the near-non-existent chance of encountering a coral snake (within snake's length distance), and disregardomg whatever predatory virtues if might have (or not have), where is the sense in killing one before it gets a chance to escape never to be seen or encountered again?

It brings to mind the time a young rattler slithered into our front yard on late summer afternoon. It did take some doing to not imagine that it would one day maliciously make me regret my choice…to treat it no differently than other snakes sharing our land; but that is what we did, taking steps only to removed it to a spot where a new pet, a curious young cat, would be (hopefully) less likely to encounter it.

Funny thing about corals…they are so reclusive, and so infrequently encountered, that very little is known about them, and relatively few pictures of them in the wild. This became especially evident when viewing snake pics on the Web. Whereas the king snake is fairly well represented as to species and varieties, the coral snake is virtually unrepresented: I even observed where a picture of one coral snake (species) has been lifted and re-used in articles pertaining to entirely different coral snake species!

Concluding, since posting earlier I was able to find and put together a little exhibit of the king snake that is the well known (Texas) coral snake mimicker: the Scarlet King snake….much closer similarity than the king posted earlier. Even then, things are not always clear cut, except to the excited mind and stick or ax holding hand. Here's another little exhibit to have some fun with.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #81

11/10/2008 10:58 AM

Next time I'll take a pic before I roast the bugger's ass beyond all recognition.

My wife and her family are Texas natives who have encountered coral snakes on a number of occasions. A girl I worked with -- also a Texas native -- found one in her living room as she was having her morning coffee. She whacked off its head, skinned it, and pegged the skin to her office wall for all to admire. It was up there for six months and it was indeed a coral-snake hide. The best part of it was that Linda is an amateur herpetologist specializing in native Texas species. If anyone knows Texas snakes, she does.

I live north of Austin, my wife is from Temple, and my colleague lives in Buda, just south of Austin. All of us have encountered coral snakes here, more than once. Either these chance encounters are all statistical anomalies or the statistics are just plain wrong. Coral snakes are not nearly so rare as one might think. And I have a little girl who plays on that patio daily. The snakes go.

Sorry to be bull-headed about this, but I stand by my story.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #84

11/10/2008 11:42 AM

Oh! So you are native of Texas and therefore not a true Texan. Howdy (Tex...eastward) or Hi-dy (...westward), as the case might be for those in hill country; and thanks for clarifying. I thought I had read before where you moved to that state...must have been someone else.

Really not important, but sorry you missed the point of what my post said...and yes (as I indicated) your all's is an uncommonness (anomaly)...but you needn't bother with photos since no one is or ever was refuting you, leastwise not from here.

When preparing snakes to eat...best to place alive (dead in a pinch) directly in boiling water (just like crabs or lobsters...but more thrash and splash)...then remove and bake...roast, too, I guess.

BTW...whaddya say to the snakey little quiz in post beneath?

Guru

In reply to #84

11/10/2008 12:56 PM

europium to CowAnon : "Sorry to be bull-headed..." !! ROFL

I don't know who Wiki (OK,OK, I know it's Wiki) agrees with ;

The picture is Micrurus tener, from Google Images. Wiki, as above, lists a whole stack of 'Coral' snakes.

This thread is giving my index finger RSI !

In reply to #91

11/10/2008 12:59 PM

You caught it! HaHA!

I knew there was something I liked about you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #93

11/10/2008 1:04 PM

I managed to restrain myself from going further ! Yes siree !! Cow seemed to have stalled, so ......

In reply to #94

11/10/2008 1:17 PM

"...stalled..." <hehe>

OMG! That's udderly ridiculous! You really don't think I'd.....?

Okay, okay. It does get lonely out here in the sticks.

[Now I feel sheepish. See what you've done?!?]

Guru

In reply to #97

11/10/2008 1:33 PM

PMSL !

In reply to #94

11/11/2008 2:26 PM

Not clear what means: Cow...stalled - Unless stalled denotes patience trying to allay/mollify fixation with having seen a snake but needing to prove it even when no one's disputing it.

As for the map (which until your "contribution" there seemed no purpose in posting), for whatever that adds, did you search (as a genuine herpetologist might have) for characteristics which distinguishes the pictured (supposedly) Texas Coral from Eastern or Western. Or did you consider posting definitive pictures of all for immediate comparison & contrast? That would be helpful...without succumbing to tyranny of Wiki...? It would be illuminating to see that the picture does not apply equally to the other regions...which, as said, has been found to be the case using google searches. So please provide proof that the Texas Coral picture is genuine in all respects...not just a "generic coral" snake that someone pasted in Wiki...and be quick about it. (There is a method behind this seeming madness...that I'm hoping you'll discover.)

In the meantime, I'm surprised to find no opinions or takers (Kris?, Europium?, ... ? ) regarding my little scarlet king snake quiz (#82 near bottom)??

Correction to #88. To Europium, re-reading...I find that I miss-spoke myself about your Texan status: I should have said (your being born and [maybe] reared elsewhere), you are a true Texan; it's your wife and her family who (by Texas protocol) who cannot truly claim the "distinction."

PS. Europium did you ever witness the Highland Lakes canoe race? Do they still have it?

Guru

In reply to #102

11/12/2008 3:45 AM

As for the map (which until your "contribution" there seemed no purpose in posting), for whatever that adds, did you search (as a genuine herpetologist might have) for characteristics which....

Apart from not claiming to be a snake expert of any description, I thought that some material relating to definition & distribution of Coral Snakes might be useful. As you will have seen from the link, there are a lot of Coral's and pseudo Corals. It was a (perhaps too subtle) hint that using the latinised names might help resolve the difference between what you and europium describe. If the material is of no use, ignore it.

Posting a quiz and going on about who is/isn't Texan leads me to think you're more interested in an argument. I get that way when someone seems sarcastic, smug, and patronizing.

In reply to #104

11/12/2008 4:42 PM

The "quiz" was just for fun...and not to be taken otherwise, at least in "this part of the world."

The "Texan" thing is an insider joke thing having to do with colloquial matters...much as you and fellow Britons might...carry on amongst yourselves about things British. To most having extensive, first-hand experience of Texas and its folkways, such statements about "Texanhood" will be taken in the spirit of familiar banter. This has been the case, now, for many decades as that state has become the focus of large population resettlements from without. The possible rare exception might be among those of lesser education, in which case, unless I had perceived Europium not to be among that group, I would not have posted as I did.

If what I said that offended you (or any geographic "outsider") was the source of any consternation on Europium's part, then your rebuke will have served a useful purpose in eliciting this clarification, which should put his mind at ease.

To any who know me, the characterization, patronizer, would never be given credence...sometimes not easy to fathom at first, but never patronizing...just so you know.

Anonymous Poster
In reply to #105

11/12/2008 6:47 PM

You say you're a Texan, but that Yankee attitude says you're east-northeast of Texarkana by about 1335 miles.

Guru

In reply to #107

11/13/2008 4:35 PM

You say you're a Texan, but that Yankee attitude says you're east-northeast of Texarkana by about 1335 miles

What's this? Hey Pal (oh, I meant Bubba, Bud, Man, Mack, Budro...whatever),

Not sure what your idea of "Yankee" is (actually, I am), but by your own reckoning I'm somewhere about half way 'twixt Lake Superior and Hudson Bay in the middle of Ontario—those Canadian Yankees won't be pleased. Or, figuring you're going by more familiar, Greyhound directions, then I'm way out on Long Island—that's it, I'm in the Hampton's; but you'll have to get off in Brooklyn and hitch a ride out if you want to come up north (by east-northeast) to see me.

And who besides your own self ever said I said I'm a Texan? I have more reason to say that you are an Okie, or Arkie...if you get my drift. Sure you do.

Bottom line (and in true-to-form Reb fashion): you were off by about 3280 miles (as the dog runs); about 2558 miles (as the Yankee crow flies )

Jeez!

Guru

In reply to #110

11/13/2008 4:51 PM

"Not sure what your idea of "Yankee" is (actually, I am)..."

You're a Yankee?

OMG, I knew it!!!

Looks like ol' Guest smoked you right out, didn't he, CA? You're a furriner!

Well I'll be damned!

ROFLPMSL!

Guru

In reply to #112

11/13/2008 5:24 PM

Whoa there! You pullin' my laig, right?

"'Not sure what your idea of "Yankee" is (actually, I am [sure]), ...'" See?

Now chew on this— Actually I'm one or the other, and yet neither; so you got me both ways!

Guru

In reply to #113

11/13/2008 5:28 PM

That doublespeak ain't gonna save you now, CA. It's waayy too late for that. You really got me goin' with that last post. No self-respecting Texan would ever, ever call him/herself a Yankee. Not even in private. Not even when falling-down drunk!!!

You ain't no Texan, Bubba. No way.

But please stop. Stop it now! My sides hurt!!!!

ROFPMSL!!!

Guru

In reply to #105

11/12/2008 8:42 PM

Thanks for the clarification - all is cool. I'm sure if europium was bothered about the 'Texan' bit he'd have said something, I was just in overdrive on the darn snakes. No problem .

In reply to #108

11/13/2008 4:39 PM

Thanks...no harm, no foul.

Guru

In reply to #81

11/11/2008 4:08 PM

The one in the four o'clock position looks suspicious to me; I don't see the typical banding I would expect, but the handler obscures much of the body. Here are pictures of a Florida coral snake (viewers left) and an Arizona coral snake (viewers right).

Turns out, there are nine species of coral snake: Micrurus dumerilii, M. frontalis, M. fulvius, M. ibiboca, M. langsdorffi, M. lemniscatus, M. medemi, M. mipartitus, and M. surinamensis.

In reply to #103

11/12/2008 5:56 PM

Thank you for the information. In reference to the pic's, the remarkable thing by my assessment is the consistency of banding—the comparative lack of pattern variablity—among Coral snake species: slight gradations in (base white?) color, yes: but variation of striping, for less if any. This leads me to to sense:

1. That the trait is a very ancient evolutionary acquisition possibly harking back to a common ancestor that inhabited the inland seas (and the snake does seem to have morphology consistent with marine and aquatic snakes) which once inundated the present, sedimentary crust that encompasses present-day coral snake ranges.
  2. That with lowering of sea levels, and the formation of geographic and ecological barriers (niches), the present species have (since divergence into present day species) remained isolated...with little or no opportunity for crossbreeding that might have led to greater variability (as is the case with King snakes).

A further question which suggests itself to me is, what the (rather invariate) expression of stripes in the Corals genus might say about snakes in general: in particular, whether or not girdling stripes (be it phenotypically expressed or only vestigial) is (or is not) a (genotypical) trait shared by all snakes(?). Looking at other (mammalian) genera, in particular, cats (where it is said that all cat skin is striped whether visibly so or not)...it's not unreasonable to see an analogy in snakes.

Your guess about the Scarlet King imposter is unexpected, and noteworthy: in that it looks beyond the mere aspect of coloration...something which (as with many species) is a trait fully acquired only after a certain period of aging and differentiation.

Unfortunately....close, but no cigar.

Maybe you'd like to venture a guess at #83? By my count I can definitely say the number of "hits" on the fellow's hand was...at least two.

Sorry...not able to spell check the above: the intruder anomoly that Mark asked to be informed about reappeared when I tried... I'll be sending him a spell check error notice as he requested...

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #106

11/13/2008 6:21 AM

No more guesswork from me, thanks, but here's some coral snake geneology I dug up that confirms your supposition regarding sea snakes:

The cobra family is thought to have evolved from Colubrid snakes and many appear very similar in appearance with long, slender bodies and large scales (plates) on the head. They differ in having more advanced venom delivery systems than the venomous Colubrids. Elapids have fangs that are "effectively tubular" in that the fangs contain grooves that are enclosed by an infolding of the edges. The fangs are in the front of the mouth rather than the rear as is seen in venomous Colubrids. The Elapidae contains some of the world's most dangerous snakes including cobras (Naja), mambas (Dendroaspis) and sea snakes (Hydophinae and Laticaudinae). Elapids are found worldwide and in Ausralia are the predominant family. In North America, three species of elapids are found, two species of coral snakes and one sea snake. The coral snakes are relatively small snakes that spend most of their time underground. Their primary food is other snakes. Despite their small size and small fangs, their venom is extremely toxic.

In reply to #31

11/10/2008 10:03 AM

Now here's a snake hunter that definitely airn't no woos! Wonder how many rocks those blistered-over finger tips must clumb er clawed aloose. Try'n find where the strikes landed.

Register to Reply
Anonymous Poster

11/06/2008 6:44 PM

MMM! Scorpion tail..remove stinger...tastes like shrimp,only milder.

Nothing but a dry-land crawfish.

Add seafood boil to boiling water,drop in scorpion tails,or whole scorpion(minus the stinger of course). Just don't overcook.

Yum Yum!

Al Bayou Sef ( De lonesome-ist Bayou dey iz)

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #29

11/06/2008 9:44 PM

Scorpion tail with stinger: Nothing but a dry-land Cajun crawfish.

Now that's what I call tasty!

You ain't lived till you've had Scorpion Ettoufé and a healthy dollop of gumbo an' dirty rice served up with fried gator, fried catfish and jalapeno hush-puppies! And dip that gator in genuine home-made shrimp cocktail sauce, not that "marinaro" crap they serve at Pappadeaux.

Damn, son!

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Cosmology - Let's keep knowledge expanding Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - Hobbies - HAM Radio - New Member

Good Answers: 105

11/06/2008 9:36 PM

Cool pictures! I've only seen a couple of them in my whole life, but that one looks rather small. With that many per acre, I'd move before morning.

In reply to #32

11/06/2008 9:50 PM

"With that many per acre, I'd move before morning."

Oh no you wouldn't. They're most active at night...

...while * yoooou're * sleeeeeeeee * piiiiinnnnng.......

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #32

11/07/2008 12:55 AM

Don't move to Gabon ;

This site has a cool photo collection ; http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.htm

In reply to #38

11/07/2008 1:37 AM

Okay, Kris. Tell me how you got that pic of my ex-wife. I thought I burned it.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #39

11/07/2008 5:54 AM

ROFL ! The sting from one of them is without doubt the most painful. There are few known remedies.

In reply to #32

11/08/2008 1:34 PM

If yer ever drivin' thru central Texis and needta use a rest stop er restroom in a state park, yer likely da step up...an' see 'em there, waiting fer yuh! Yikes!

Try not ta sit downer they jis mite hop a ride own yer pants legs.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #58

11/08/2008 3:07 PM

Gives a whole new meaning to "BAILIFF!!! Whack his pee-pee!"

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #59

11/10/2008 10:15 AM

More like: Bailiff, we needa get that swellin' down. Dismiss the jury; bring eem in chambers.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - Model Rocketry - New Member

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
Good Answers: 36

11/08/2008 10:58 PM

Nice bark scorpion, in Ariz. they like to eat crickets. If it is the same there get rid of the crickets and the bark scorpions will look for food else where. The rest you are on your own.

They have one of the worst stings. They can flatten out and slip into cracks thinner than a dime. The side curl tail give it away.

Brad

In reply to #61

11/09/2008 12:02 AM

"They have one of the worst stings."

From the 1940s through the 1960s Bark Scorpions were responsible for around a thousand deaths a year. (I don't have more recent statistics.)

Their diminutive size makes little difference in the danger they pose to humans. A Bark Scorpion's venom is a toxic mix of amino acids, enzymes and proteins that results in an effective neurotoxin with systemic effects - it shuts down the entire nervous system - and quickly. In fatal cases the sting from a Bark Scorpion causes paralysis, anaphylaxic shock, coma, cardiac arrest, then death. Gram for gram a Bark Scorpion's venom is about a thousand times as toxic as a rattlesnake's.

Register to Reply
Guru

Location: East of Seattle, Washington state Republic of the 50 states of America
In reply to #62

11/09/2008 12:46 AM

About 5 years ago in Florence Ariz. I'd guess at one in the morning, a group of us guys getting off of work were walking around a corner and there was a big desert toad 5 to 6 inches across. Biggest I'd ever seen. Just then I was shoved to the side and didn't know if it was time to fight or stop one when a guy that we've never seen eye to eye pointed at the ground.

I wish I would have had a five gallon bucket because I would have made one monster of a paper weight. A scorpion as big as my boot in front of me and I almost stepped on it. He just ignored us (about 20 men) like we did not exist. I walk beside it and put my boot about a foot away for comparison. Almost as long, I'd have a to estimate 10 inches (ok I got short feet). The scary part was that was with his tail up. I've watched shows on scorpions that say they don't get that big but that is total BS.

About two years later we were in Tucson and found his arch enemy, a 14 inch Centipede. I've never seen a show on how big they get yet but that was larger than I had ever imagined and no I didn't stick my tennis shoe down to measure it, I'd be nervous he could even bite though my boot.

I've learned not to take the entomologist at absolute gospel. I'd still like that paperweight. The one that scared me was a tarantula wasp. 4 inches of dark neon blue. Flitters around the floor checking out everything.

Brad

In reply to #63

11/09/2008 10:41 AM

Good Lord! You need to carry a camera with you at all times!

We lived in Albuquerque in my junior year at high school. I walked home from school in the afternoons, across this big, empty patch of desert between the school and my neighborhood.

As I was walking along I saw what I thought was a snake dart out from under one sagebrush and race to another. The odd thing was that it move in a straight line, not side to side like snake.

I got a closer look and it wasn't a snake. It was a centipede about 12" long! I'd never seen one that large. Its caramel-colored head was the size of my thumbnail. The body was a sickly whitish-beige. The idea of something like that racing up my pants leg gave me the creeps. Still does.

I raced home and found a wide-mouth gallon pickle jar in dad's shop. Raced back and caught the centipede. Then I found another one, measuring maybe 5 inches in length. I put it in the same jar and big one shredded it to bits immediately. The thing didn't have a chance.

While in the Air Force I was stationed at Edwards AFB in the Mojave Desert. Not far was a place we'd like to hike called Little-Rock Reservoir. One spring we were hiking around the place and walked under a large tree covered in blossoms. The air was fragrant and it smelled wonderful. As we started to pass under the tree we heard these odd 'rattling' sounds. Not like the sound of a rattlesnake, but different. It came from above, from the tree.

When we looked up we saw hundreds of huge wasp-like insects foraging on the flowers. The rattling sound came from their beating wings as they flew from blossom to blossom. The wasps had blued-steel-colored bodies and bright orange wings. None were smaller than three inches long. The ones in the lower branches had become aware of us and were poised to attack.

We backed out very, very slowly. Some of the wasps left the tree and buzzed us, but none attacked directly. We were incredibly fortunate.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #66

11/09/2008 11:34 AM

That would have been another for the cameras,

In the deep woods of the northwest there is a black and white striped wasp about 4 inches long. They seem to be attracted to campfires. My Dad calls them fire wasps because they are also attracted to forest fires. They have that fast helicopter sound when flying. What got me about them is that 3/8 inch stinger in the back.

Now I own a digital camera and a camcorder. They go with me when I travel.

Locally we have lots of "endangered species", Pygmy rabbits, burrowing Owls, a 3 foot earth worm, of course like the spotted owl there is lots of them. I have a hard time believing they are endangered, many more and they would be a pest.

I almost sprayed some of the worm holes, but talked with my cousin first out of curiosity. They leave a 2 inch tall cone with a hole the size of my little finger (my fingers are medium). Looks like little volcanoes. wonder if I could start a worm farm with those?

Brad

In reply to #67

11/09/2008 1:20 PM

"They leave a 2 inch tall cone with a hole the size of my little finger (my fingers are medium). Looks like little volcanoes.

wonder if I could start a worm farm with those?"

--

I wouldn't. Stay away from those big ones and just focus on rearing night crawlers. Why? An ancient, highly-advanced-but-now-extinct-wannabe-worm-farming civilization tried that once (love those hyphens!) and now Io is completely barren. See for yourself:

Register to Reply
Register to Reply Page 1 of 2: « First 1 2 Next > Last »
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

agua_doc (1); Anonymous Poster (3); babybear (1); Bricktop (4); CowAnon (12); cwarner7_11 (1); Daddio926 (1); EnviroMan (18); Kris (26); Laughing Jaguar (2); LG_Dave (2); ozzb (1); Skeeter (1); StandardsGuy (1); Steve Melito (1); Techart (1); U V (4); user-deleted-13 (36)

Previous in Forum: Can You Hear Venous Blood Flow?   Next in Forum: Magnetic Radiation Sickness
You might be interested in: UV Filters, UV Sensors, UV Light Systems

Advertisement