Previous in Forum: automatic control of roof heat tapes   Next in Forum: electric engineering
Close
Close
Close
7 comments
Active Contributor

Turbocharger speed

11/27/2008 8:44 PM

Dear sir,

we have proximity type speed sensor used for turbocharger speed, it is showing speed values erratically high for a moment & zero. We checked output at SPEMOS card it is showing proportionally, Hence we replaced sensor, changed cable but still problem is persisting.

Can anybody intimate some other checkpoints to trouble shoot the fault.

Login to Reply
Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1

Re: Turbocharger speed

11/29/2008 1:42 AM

We have had similar problems where I work. We narrowed down to the cable shield and continuity of this shield up to the measuring panel grounding point. Try swapping the SPEMOS cards first, though. They tend to lose their calibration with time, and if you don't have an appropriate calibrator you will take more time to get the source of spikes. The power supply for the SPEMOS could also be the culprit. The card is simply an f/U convertor, with 0-10Vdc as the output. Check that before termination of inputs you a stable 0 Vdc output. Else run the cable direct from the speed pick up to the card.

In reply to #1

03/13/2009 6:42 AM

dear jjnyongesa, please explain me what the SPEMOS card is. Because I'm getting a big problem with it. pls promt reply. Thanks!

Login to Reply
Active Contributor

Good Answers: 1
In reply to #4

03/13/2009 1:55 PM

SPEMOS is a system designed specifically for Wartsila Engines to monitor the engine and turbocharger speeds (SPEed MOnitoring System). At certain speeds it can be configured to carry out relay functions like at 100 rpm= Engine is Running signal to PLC, and a second Overspeed trip protection in addition to governor setpoint, etc. In a power generator application it can switch on and off the Voltage Regulator at set engine speed, among other functions. To the best of my knowledge the system is only for Wartsila Engines.

Please sign in if possible.

11/29/2008 3:52 AM

i don't know what is the SPEMOS cards meaning ,,, but anyway ,, review your shields ,, and ground points from the sensor to control room,,,

Login to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Marine Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #2

11/29/2008 4:40 AM

What can one expect.................it's electronic.............I may be from the old school................but when you look at "breakdowns" in marine electronic diesel engines..............major cause...........electronic problems!!!!!!!!

I have up to seventy students/year......95% fishermen..........their major bitch is breakdowns in electronics on fishing vessels.

Of course these "breakdowns" occur when the sea is like a mill pond..............NOT.........probably blowing a force 8 gale............"and all because of the failure of a $2.00 component" the engine shuts down and vessel and crew are at the mercy of the elements. Please do not take that literally, even though it can occur.

e.g. A ferry plying the waters of Morten Bay in Queensland. Conditions, fair.

Both "electronic" main engines shut down.......ferry just drifting...........cannot restart main engines........no error comes up on computer...............engineer contacts Cavpower(Australia)..........they cannot determine fault, they contact USA.....eventually they come up with an answer and remedy the problem.

Fault was............."YOUR BUS IS GOING TOO FAST"

01/19/2012 3:12 PM

Replace C4 card with newer one and check again. Also check all the connections input and outputs of all cards..

Login to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 808

01/14/2021 5:06 AM

One of the possibilities is a cable terminal screw has come down partly on the insulation instead of fully on the conductor.

Interested in this discussion?
You can "subscribe" to this discussion to be notified of new comments.
Click on the Subscribe menu at the top of the page.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (2); jjnyongesa (2); MOBI (1); PWSlack (1); suhaill (1)

Previous in Forum: automatic control of roof heat tapes   Next in Forum: electric engineering

Advertisement