Previous in Forum: Mechanical Engineer Career Opportunity, Tampa, FL   Next in Forum: Employee or Contractor?
Close
Close
Close
16 comments
Active Contributor

Should You Become a Sales Engineer?

12/16/2008 2:22 AM

I am Degree Holder in Mechanical Engineering. I want to know more about Sales Engineer jod.

Actually what Sales Engineer do in Oil and Gas industry ?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 66

Re: HELP : SALES ENGINEER

12/16/2008 2:36 AM

A Sales Engineer is a salesperson with a technical background. The idea is that when customers ask really tough technical questions about a product, the sales engineer will be able to reply with really complicated explanations and thereby justify the high cost of the product.

In the oil & gas industry, a sales engineer would call on potential customers and try to sell highly engineered products that would have some application for the customer's particular process.

Good sales engineers start as lower-level engineers within their company and have gained years of detailed experience with their company's product and know the history behind its development. This gives the sales engineer the perspective required to competently sell the product to the customer and provide the technical support to make customers happy with their purchase.

Commentator
Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #1

12/17/2008 12:45 AM

I've been a Sales Representative since 1973 and have just retired - monetarily content! My 'title' Vice President Sales. I sold power generation and natural gas compression equipment and services all over the world and in the Oil Patch too! The first word you want to learn in sales is oxymoron. A good sales rep will never match a good engineer in his craft. BUT - NO ONE can engineer a sale. A good engineer knows that and will not operate outside of his craft autonomously and be successful. Sales Engineer is an oxymoron! A good sales rep most firstly know his customer and the market. Secondly the sales rep will never forget that the whole object is to get the money out of the customer's pocket into the company's pocket. If it takes tech know how - GET IT! The toughest question you will ever answer is - who is or are the decision makers. WhaT MAKES THIS CLOCK TICK! For sure if the customer is spending six or seven figures on sophisticated equipment - that's the customer's investment and if the product that you are selling is part of a a process application the total personal commitment the customer might be dealing with could easily go into nine figures or more! DO NOT try to out engineer this person with flim flam, nor, academic, nor your company jargon. tHE CUSTOMER IS HOLDING THE GUN and know,s how to use it!! As a test - you must go to the nearest elementary school and explain to the seventh graders what it is you are trying to sell and why they might be interested in it. Not too many 'oil patch engineers can do this. Now go to the zoo and explain it to the gorillas. A good sales rep will be thrown to the wolves and alone for training. That rep will get off of the floor and come back for more until he gets it right - if the rep is ever going to be any good! The rest of the time the the well trained Sales Rep will be stepping over the carcasses of failed Sales Engineers!! It's all about money - don't be stupid.

In reply to #3

12/17/2008 8:57 PM

Thanks a lot.....

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 19
In reply to #3

11/08/2016 11:45 PM

In other words, you mean he is a moron who works like an ox.

In reply to #1

12/17/2008 8:56 PM

Thanks

Register to Reply
Guru
Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - Technical Services Manager Canada - Member - Army brat Popular Science - Cosmology - What is Time and what is Energy? Technical Fields - Architecture - Draftsperson Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member

Good Answers: 204

Re: Should You Become a Sales Engineer?

12/16/2008 11:37 PM

I've recently accepted a position in the oil and gas industry in sales. It isn't exactly my background, and the company that hired me needed to fill the position urgently, so it is somewhat temporary. my background is in engineering and quality, drafting and documentation. I really facilitate the flow of information, as it pertains to developing and completing technical projects. It is a continuous process.

The money is reasonable for me, but low for an engineer imo. I'm a technologist. We manufacture wireline skids and trucks. I prepare quotations, handle a thousand questions, run all over 4 buildings, chasing answers from those who do know more.. and spend half my day on email.. its fun.

I'm involved in wireline truck and skid projects from the customer's first request for quotation, to the final delivery and payment, and training and warranty support afterwards. It is quite a broad scope for a position. I rely on the engineering staff and senior management for guidance and support, but we are a pretty interdependent team, as there is so much to know, and so many people involved in large projects, that I would put people skills and communication skills at the top of the list for success.

In our industry, we don't really have to do any 'sales' to speak of, as the customers come to us, and it is a well known and respected business. I have had to learn a lot about international shippping, contracts and letters of credit, wireline, truck building, etc. I work with several other engineers in the sales department, who claim to enjoy the technical sales plus the financial involvement we have with purchasing, receiving, shipping, AR, and AP. we get it all.

My colleagues are have their particular areas of expertise within our company. We have about 15000 parts and a quite a few product assemblies, so their focus is different than mine. http://www.leespecialties.com have a look through our product catalog.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Chris

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 25
In reply to #2

12/17/2008 6:49 AM

Hi Chris,

You have good product range.Do you market your products in India?.

Suresh.Sharma, e-mail:sureshsharma@yahoo.com.

12/17/2008 10:53 AM

Actually what Sales Engineer do in Oil and Gas industry ?

They sell Oil & Gas Equipments/products/systems.What else can the do?

I've doubts on your M.E degree to ask such a stupid question.

In reply to #5

12/17/2008 8:55 PM

I know in oil and gas industry sell oil and gas equipment, but i ask this maybe have thing inside of it i dont know.

I just want to know more opinion from expert people in this field.

if u think its a stupid i dont care, there's a lot of people more educated to explain better than u.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #7

12/18/2008 12:04 AM

Sorry I did mean to be so blunt.

To click as a sales engineer here are some tips:

1 . You must have a real good knowledge of the products you are selling and mainly their application & benefits.

2 . You must have even a more better knowledge of the products your competitor is selling.

3 . If your price is higher for the same product of the competitor then talk on the difference on the price and the benefits the client gets for the extra high price.

4. If you find that your price is higher and still the competitors' price is lower talk on your backup support and build in in confidence in you.

5 . If you find that your competitor is ofering a product far far better & superior than yours apologise and lose the order. This way you will gain a client who will come back to you for every other requirement because you are honest.

6. Above all - do not lie or cheat the client. You or anybody does not like a liar nor a cheater. The words will spread and will become difficult for you to cope in future selling.

7. When you go to a client - do not go to sell. Go to see how you can help him educate more on your equipments or his system-requirement. If you have been a great help to him you have sold your stuff.

8 . Now start first with 1 & 2.

In reply to #11

05/12/2009 11:21 PM

Its ok, I dont keep it in me what you just saying, its just at ur previous reply not answering my question right.

Anyway, thanks for your nice tips.

Register to Reply
Power-User

Good Answers: 6

12/17/2008 3:14 PM

Aside from the obvious selling of material one of the more important responsibilites of the Sales Engineer is to make sure that the terms and conditions of the sale are not only in the best interest of his company but fair to the customer. In some cases specific terms have to be generated for individual sales.

there are subtle variations in the laws concerning these terms and conditions and requires more than a passing knowledge of what you are getting the company into.

In the area of construction, maintenance and installation of equipment you may be called on to input to the bidding process for the projects. Depending on the company this can mean involvement to the extent of developing and pricing the bid.

It can be a challanging and rewarding position, As is true of all sales jobs it requires skin as thick as a rhino.

12/17/2008 9:11 PM

Thanks a lot for great opinion from you awesome people....

I really appreciate it.. Actually I am sales engineer almost 4 month, i know I'm still dumb and clueless in this job, because i never think that i want to be sales engineer. I accept this job because nowadays it's really hard to get a job and I fresh graduate, if I so choosy maybe its difficult to get a job, so i accept this job to get early experience before i really can choose the field that i want.

I have a something confuse in mind of my job in my company. My company is in oil and gas industry and have a lot division in there, I am in Power division.

My manager dont have background in engineering background actually, he is marketing person, sometimes i feel really nothing improve in me when i under him, if i ask about technical , he dont know anything actually, he just know sell, sell, sell.

But when i research about meaning sales engineer position in internet and I asking a few friends that also in my position, they have technical training and also marketing about engineered product, they also go to site for a project even they also fresh graduate like me, but my division is like more in marketing, and sometimes i feel that no engineering thing just the products that have engineering thing we sell.

I know its my own effort to improve myself for it, because i know there's a lot experienced sales engineer here, maybe the thing i dont know, i can get from u people.

Thank you.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #10

12/18/2008 12:15 AM

I'm still dumb and clueless in this job, because i never think that i want to be sales engineer. Go stand in front of a mirror and practice saying " i am a very smart guy" I'm an engineer, I was not stupid to study 4-5 years for this so I'm not stupid.

Forget your Manager for very soon you will shunt him out because you are technically superior to him.

You have to eat yourself. Nobody will feed you. Do you self study to know your engineering products yourself and because you are an engineer you will learn faster.

Engineering Fields - Retired Engineers / Mentors - New Member

Good Answers: 2
In reply to #10

12/18/2008 12:58 AM

Welcome to the world of sales! Always remember what you have been so wisely advised - you must have thick skin like a RHINO. This means you will never allow yourself to be offended. Likewise you must NEVER offend! I will give some empirical experience. All survivors in the sales world and especially those who have been successful will recognize what I am about to say. I have no particular order to this advice. You are only stupid if you believe that. There is no school to learn, nor, store to buy sales experience. It must be earned. Forget trying to learn about engineering in the world of sales. Engineers all come from Patterson Airforce base hanger 18 they were concieved in Roswell New Mexico. Your job is not to sell. It IS to increase company revenue. There is so much more to a sale than the engineering that has gone into the product and its application and its upkeep. You must constantly be looking for new applications and the engineered solution to any opportunity. You must NEVER try to be an engineer if you are in sales. Stop looking at your picture. Start looking at your reflection in the looking glass and stare deeply into those eyeballs! You have to crawl inside of your head and NOT SELL but BUY what you have conceived there because you believe it!! Learn to look around that reflection and see who is staring at your back or sneaking up on you! Sleep with your door locked but your window cracked open. Dump your trash can into your briefcase before you leave the room and check out. Learn to count the holes in your back and remember who put them there and how they got there. Trust NOBODY! Learn to like bed bugs, used sheets, eat with your hands, keep your money in your underwear, speak foreign languages, sign language and pidgin english LEARN TO LISTEN AND HEAR WHAT YOU ARE LISTENING TO! Read documents upside down from 10 feet. STAY HEALTHY! Sleep on airplanes especially when descending. Unless you are alone drink Quinine water with lime. Always keep track of the time, the day, month and year! Don't forget your business cards! Don't forget to ask for the order!! Don't forget to smell the flowers............... If you're a salesman you will love it and everybody will envy you - DON'T TRUST THEM!

11/08/2016 11:22 PM

Hi Sharil,

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and decided to go into Sales Engineering as a career. I think the decision comes down to your interests and motivations for wanting to become an SE.

I would say that the following are common interests and characteristics of SEs:

Business, people, money, "type A" personality, presenting, negotiating, helping others, perseverance.

I know I chose the career path because I enjoy talking with people and giving presentations while having the ability to influence them (in this case, to purchase) versus designing in a cube by myself. And you will still deal with the tech as an SE, which is great. Just at a higher level in most cases.

If any of this resonates with you, this site has some great resources/discussion exclusively for Sales Engineers: https://forum.moderntechsales.com

I hope this helps :)

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 16 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

chrisg288 (1); CSM Engineer (1); ducon (4); otha (1); SalesEngineer (1); sharil_welling (5); suresh sharma (1); WOODROOSTER (2)

Previous in Forum: Mechanical Engineer Career Opportunity, Tampa, FL   Next in Forum: Employee or Contractor?

Advertisement