Previous in Forum: oil pipe external and internal coating   Next in Forum: selling excess electricity
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Guru
Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 12

" recharging " carbon batteries by heating them.

12/26/2008 4:03 AM

I remember getting extra life out of 9 volt batteries by heating discharged ones. Might heating various types of batteries, or a new design, increase their power or longevity?

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: batteries heat new
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Power-User

Good Answers: 2

Re: " recharging " carbon batteries by heating them.

12/26/2008 6:06 AM

The heat makes the chemical reaction occur easier or faster. It doesn't really add charge to the battery. But if the battery tends to self-discharge, it speeds up that lossy effect.

Register to Reply
Power-User
United States - Member - Member

Good Answers: 23

12/27/2008 12:09 AM

You could get extra life out of the old zinc-carbon batteries by punching holes in the case and immersing in a sal ammoniac solution. When that wore out, you could still salvage some zinc and the carbon center electrode. Best to discard the black electrolyte.

Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200

12/27/2008 6:28 AM

All batteries give a little bit more voltage out when warm, rather than cold.

This is the reason that most smoke alarms need a new battery sometime between 1 and 5 am, which is usually the coldest part of the day, summer or winter, anywhere in the world. The battery (and the people around!) are at their "lowest ebb!".....

Which is why its a good idea to buy good quality batteries and also note the replacement day, so that you can replace on the same day each year, which is usually early enough that the battery is still just good enough to not quite need changing, eg. you won't be pulled out of bed in the middle of the night!!!

In reply to #3

01/07/2009 12:52 PM

I like your answer. You are right, my smoke detectors always ask for battery change in the middle of the night when it is cold. They never complain during the day.

Register to Reply
Guru
Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 200
In reply to #7

01/08/2009 11:22 AM

Years ago, I noticed this phenomena, it took me a bit of time to think of the reason why.

Of course, once known, its completely obvious.....

Associate

Good Answers: 1

12/29/2008 6:42 AM

Hi all,

As I understand the chemical reaction inside the battery generates a layer of Hydrogen that isolated the graphite from the rest not allowing the reaction. If you heat the battery this layer of H2 is vanished and the battery can "work overtime".

Regards,

Ernesto

Register to Reply Good Answer (Score 2)
Power-User

Good Answers: 5

12/30/2008 1:32 AM

Any dry cell/battery can be refreshed- no need to warm in oven as my father did 60 years ago(radio batts- expensive)- just use dc volts from higher source for short time only- eg 1.5v cell etc- hold in hand- 12v from car batt- will feel cell warming up in say 5 secs- while ever cell stays warm- equal to new cell- can repeat many times!. Yes, if left on refresh could explode!. Works with carb/zinc, alk,li-ion,li-po(all supposedly not be recharged!. A dedicated dry cell recharger works too- but these apply a stepped charge at a low rate so cell/ batt never heats up. The trouble with recharging cells/batts is that they won't hold the charge for long- but - Hey!- if you are out in the bush- will save you!. Cheers.

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 49

01/07/2009 2:47 AM

Beats me. Try asking this guy...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); electrone (1); ernesto1962 (1); LG_Dave (1); Neil Kwyrer (1); ScientificLogic (1); vermin (1)

Previous in Forum: oil pipe external and internal coating   Next in Forum: selling excess electricity

Advertisement