Previous in Forum: .9999999.... = 1   Next in Forum: Seeking engineering projects for international aid
Close
Close
Close
4 comments

Sound Speed in a Porous Material...

10/25/2006 2:53 PM

Its posible to calculate sound speed in a porous material?

i know that for solids its equal to the square root of the ratio of the elasticity and the density of the material; but i dont know if a porous material such as fiber glass should be considered as any other solid like concrete for example.

Register to Reply
Pathfinder Tags: acoustics porous sound
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Sound Speed in a Porous Material...

10/26/2006 3:55 PM

Concrete is also porous. So if you have a solution for concrete, you can perhaps apply it to fiberglass

Register to Reply
The Engineer
Engineering Fields - Engineering Physics - Physics... United States - Member - NY Popular Science - Genetics - Organic Chemistry... Popular Science - Cosmology - New Member Ingeniería en Español - Nuevo Miembro - New Member

Good Answers: 129

10/26/2006 5:06 PM
Register to Reply
Power-User

10/27/2006 10:33 PM

Just thinking out load....

A porous material, say swiss cheese, has both cheese and air pockets. I think it is safe to calculate for the cheese only, as all of it is inter-connected.

If I take a solid iron bar 1 meter in length, I can easily calculate the time a vibration of a given frequency will travel through it, if I then drilled some holes in any direction through the bar, would I really be changing things (other than the reduced mass etc.)?

United Kingdom - Member - Indeterminate Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member

Location: In the bothy, 7 chains down the line from Dodman's Lane level crossing, in the nation formerly known as Great Britain. Kettle's on.
Good Answers: 818
In reply to #3

02/15/2007 6:03 AM

Of one takes the same solid iron bar and strikes it with something heavy, though not violently enough to fracture it, the bar will "ring" with a fundamental frequency and harmonics related to its shape and where it was hit.

Drill a load of holes in the bar and try again, and the "ringing" is not so true.

Could it be something to do with the speed of sound in the bar and in its surrounding air being different?

Can this analogy be applied to inferring the speed of sound in Swiss cheese, bearing in mind that it is preferable to strike an iron bar; striking Swiss cheese sounds somewhat wasteful...

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); Bayes (1); merkelerk (1); PWSlack (1)

Previous in Forum: .9999999.... = 1   Next in Forum: Seeking engineering projects for international aid

Advertisement