Previous in Forum: Why Use a Preflash Drum or Preflash Tower Upstream of a CDU?   Next in Forum: manufactoring process car stereo
Close
Close
Close
10 comments
Participant

Looking for a Thatching Machine

01/14/2009 10:41 AM

Where could one find a machine to tie or bind straws/reeds used for "thatching"

roofs on heritage preserved buildings in Ireland. Diameter of tied bundles should be approx 25mm [1 inch]

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

mod120

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Anonymous Poster

Re: Looking for a Thatching Machine

01/15/2009 1:01 AM

Hello mod120,

The binder off a reaper and binder may do the trick.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Not a new member!

Good Answers: 68

01/15/2009 2:37 AM

Hello mod120:

Do you want to bind straw or thatch you already have?

Or, do you want a cutting and binding machine to cut the thatch and or straw?

It is not usual to have 1" bundles. You normally pick the one inch bundle from a much larger bundle. I can find you proper machine to cut and bind and or a thatcher as I have found several. But I do not really know what you want.

This is a good site: http://www.eamta.co.uk/forsalewanted.htm

It is East Anglia Master Thatchers Association.

They have two reed harvisters for sale. You can check them out on the site.

Or do you want to bind hand cut reeds or straw?

In reply to #2

01/15/2009 7:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. As I am enquiring on behalf of a friend I have printed off your reply and will let him take it from there. The Master Thatchers Association in East Anglia would seem to be a very useful contact.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #3

01/15/2009 7:07 AM

Hello mod120,

I appreciate your reply post, thank you. If your friend can tell you whether he want just a binder then I can search. But otherwise you can try Farm Machinery as a search. And, automatic cutting and bailing.

Good luck ask anything.

Take care......

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 201

01/15/2009 7:34 AM

Mod120,

it would be MOST useful if you told us where you are on (or off!!) the planet earth, when asking such a question.......

"As an outside, what do you think of the human race as a whole?"

In reply to #5

01/17/2009 5:38 AM

Hello Andy,

Are you OK?..............The info' is seriously short on this thread!.......So the OP is doing it for a friend? But the bundle size his asked for does not add up? 25mm 1"? If he is using reeds and not straw, you may get ...........oooooooooooooohhhhhhh lets see 6 or 7 reeds to a bundle this size? It just does not make sense.

All the red and straw bundles were about half a ton and were about 1 metre ~ 39.75" across.

Take care..................

Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Safety - ESD - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Location: Near Frankfurt am Main, Germany. 50.390866N, 8.884827E
Good Answers: 201
In reply to #7

01/17/2009 7:19 AM

I think we need some serious extra infos, starting with where he is on the planet!!!

I cannot for the life of me think we can help, unless one of us just "hits Lucky"!

01/17/2009 2:04 AM

wat typ of requirement is this? is it industrial or domestic, wud u need idea for low production just a jig type fixture for domestic use, or automatic production at high speed , i had visited one exhibition in bombay ,it was a chineses packaging machine

which has a plastic rope decoiler and automatically it turns around the bunch of product several times and tie a knot on the top , go to google and find the basic machine desighning idea by searching (cartoon box ribbon packaging machines) once u got it u can get it desighned from any engineer manufacturer...for more technical knowledge please feel free to mail me at metalmasterengg@gmail.com

01/23/2009 7:45 AM

Thanks to everybody for replies. My "thatcher" friend followed up on "babybears" post and as a result s on the trail of a Strapex machine which would suit his purpose.

He uses oaten straw for thatching as this was the traditional method in his area and must be used to qualify for Heritage grants. He pulls the straw into small bundles - half stalk bottoms and tops at each end for unformity - and ties each bundle at one end. This is done indoors mostly when weather is not fit for thatching which means a good supply is ready for transport to the site.

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #9

01/23/2009 12:49 PM

Hello Guest,

I am glad you are your friend found an answer. There was quite a lot of machines but, I had no idea what your friend had to spend?

Anyway, take care, and how about a picture of the finished roof when it is done?

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Andy Germany (2); Anonymous Poster (2); babybear (4); metal master engg (1); mod120 (1)

Previous in Forum: Why Use a Preflash Drum or Preflash Tower Upstream of a CDU?   Next in Forum: manufactoring process car stereo

Advertisement