Previous in Forum: picking a filter   Next in Forum: How to increase brain power
Close
Close
Close
8 comments
Associate

Good Answers: 1

Careers in Biomech / Biomed?

02/17/2009 10:30 AM

First posting in this forum - I am a straight mechanical type of guy so please be gentle with me.

My son at 23 has completed his degree at U of Guelph in criminology and public policy, and as most graduates do, has decided this is not a good field for him. He is now interested in biomed or biomech.

I know nothing about these areas and will of course conduct my due dilligence on this site however any comments regarding career prospects, good schools or courses etc would be appreciated. We are located in Southern Ontario, Canada. My son is currently working with me part time as a tool grinder. He has a flair for mechanical design and computers and is good working with his hands.

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Guru

Good Answers: 243

Re: Careers in Biomech / Biomed?

02/17/2009 12:55 PM

My advice would be for him to get a job with a precision machining company using his cad skills and tool grinding skills and learn to become a machinist. Then when he sees the materials and applications that he is working on, he can find the appropriate schooling. Why double up his investment in an area where he may again, find that he doesn't like it.?

The need for precision machinists is strong and growing. The need for biomed devices will follow demographics of aging baby boomers. should be a long steady rise...

Let him find his place in the industry and then get the schooling he desires.

Otherwise, you are just enabling a prolonged adolescence.

BTW, I'm a dad too...

milo

Technical Fields - Architecture - New Member Popular Science - Weaponology - New Member Engineering Fields - Control Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electrical Engineering - New Member Engineering Fields - Electromechanical Engineering - New Member Hobbies - Fishing - New Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - New Member Hobbies - Hunting - New Member

Good Answers: 18

02/17/2009 2:19 PM

Clemson University in South Carolina has an excellent school of BioEngineering which includes BioMechanics and BioMedical. Additionally, they have an excellent school of Materials Science and Engineering, and the two schools work closely together.

See Clemson University web site.

02/17/2009 10:47 PM

has he considered forensics in the areas involving tooling??

I just applied for a position but have no criminology or mechanical education/experience

Register to Reply
Guru

Good Answers: 54

02/17/2009 11:47 PM

Interesting that you identify as straight. I'd always assumed that most engineering types were by default.

Good Answers: 54

02/18/2009 12:01 AM

I've always noted how some professions are able to modulate their workload.

If a Dentist advises you'll need 3 more visits, you just go, same with psychologists, chiropractors etc. Even glaziers can go out and smash a few window knowing they'll probably pick up a bit of extra work.

I'm sure a university trained young man with creativity (and a knowledge of criminology & public policy) could see the link here.

If you think I'm being cynical, just look at how economists are doing.

Hobbies - Fishing - New Member

Good Answers: 11

02/18/2009 8:04 AM

I don't know how many credits are going to transfer from a criminal justice degree but here at RIT we have both biomed and criminal justice degrees so the dean of the EE department could help get you the information about making the switch.

http://www.rit.edu/kgcoe/electrical/sites/rit.edu.kgcoe.electrical/files/images/Graduate%20Student%20Handbook%202017-2018.pdf

At the moment engineering is one field were we aren't having problems placing students. Yet. But there haven't been nearly enough engineering grads lately and the baby boomers are hoping to retire (yeah, right; I'll be working 'till I'm 70) so it's probably a good field to get into.

Hobbies - CNC - New Member Popular Science - Biology - New Member Hobbies - Musician - New Member

Good Answers: 145

02/18/2009 9:43 AM

I think your son's desire to get grounding in science or engineering is actually a good move, careerwise. There's a growing need for people with interdisciplinary backgrounds, and particularly a need for CJPP/forensics people who have an understanding of biomedical diagnostics tech, not to mention the biomed tech that poses criminal or terrorist risks to society if we do not fully understand it.

There's a B Eng in biomedical engineering available at Ryerson (no personal experience here but they have a great reputation). Most of the other programs are graduate degrees or long (7 years! at U Western Ont). A 4-5 year investment of time and effort would give your son an optimal background for careers that also draw on his training in CJPP.

All that being said, Milo's advice has merit. No matter what direction your son takes with his career in the end, he will never regret having a hands on trade. It's good that he's working with you, while deciding where to go with further study. The philosophy type studies as in his CJPP are mentally exhausting, and if he is feeling burnt after the degree it's no surprise. That will wear off after a while, and he'll find that what he learned is useful and meaningful. In the meantime, physical work is a tonic for the brain and provides a source of satisfaction that also pays bills. (There is nothing so elusive as satisfaction with purely intellectual types of work...)

Hobbies - RC Aircraft - New Member Hobbies - Automotive Performance - New Member Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 123

03/01/2009 10:52 PM

How does your son plan to pay for the advanced education he is planning for? If he is pulling his own weight in your facility, that is a very good sign. There are things that his hands will teach him that no book, or lab will be able to. At 23 he has had many years of learning to discipline himself to achieve his degree. This disciplined learning will allow him to solve problems in any field he applies himself to. Nurture him. Guide him. Where better to do this than along side of you.

Why not allow him to work with you, and take the appropriate prep classes from a community collage at nights, or his non-working days.

This would be wonderful way for him to get better acquainted with good work ethics from someone that he trusts. There are very few things that will serve him better in the workforce than learning what keeps a business working.

Just my opinion, for what its worth. good luck.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.

Comments rated to be Good Answers:

These comments received enough positive ratings to make them "good answers".

Comments rated to be "almost" Good Answers:

Check out these comments that don't yet have enough votes to be "official" good answers and, if you agree with them, rate them!
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Anonymous Poster (1); artsmith (1); Bill (1); bob c (1); ca1ic0cat (1); ffej (2); Milo (1)

Previous in Forum: picking a filter   Next in Forum: How to increase brain power

Advertisement