Previous in Forum: What's the Best Pool Treatment System?   Next in Forum: Maximum velocity for liquid flow.
Close
Close
Close
13 comments
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - pipewelder

Good Answers: 33

Interior Coating for Surge Tank

03/27/2009 1:44 PM

I have a effluent surge tank that I will be installing a new bottom, an interior coating as well as painting the exterior of the tank as well in the next few weeks. I would like to get suggestions on what would be the best way to go on the interior coating. The amount of information on different brands of coatings and their proper application is really overwhelming to say the least. I need to select a coating that will last the longest, be fairly easy to apply and at the best cost. I would like to have the supplier perform the coating application if possible to eliminate problems. Any of you coating gurus out there got any suggestions? The parameters of the tank are as follows:

Tank is 50' long open top 24' wide and a side wall height of 20'

140 degree F. max operating Temp.

The tank nomally contains effluent water at 6-7.5 Ph but will have excursions down to a 2 Ph 3 times per week max.

Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1663

Re: Interior Coating for Surge Tank

03/27/2009 7:33 PM

"installing a new bottom, an interior coating as well as painting the exterior of the tank"

So, it's an existing tank?

What's it made of?

Is the inside painted now?

What's the total thermal range the tank will see?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #1

03/30/2009 8:59 AM

So, it's an existing tank?

yes

What's it made of?

carbon steel plate SA-285 gr c

Is the inside painted now?

No just rusty and corroded

What's the total thermal range the tank will see?

The tank will run between 120 and 140 degrees F

3 times a week our dimin. water system re gens and dumps 2-4% HCL/water into the effluent system. This causes the high acidic excursions. I am currently getting a coatings engineer to design a coating and give an installation price on the interior coating. We are looking at epoxy type coatings at present. I am sure everything will be blasted to a white metal profile before coating can occur. I only have 20 days to do this entire job and I have to start in 2 weeks so there is an urgency to figure it out and get started.

Engineering Fields - Environmental Engineering - New Member APIX Pilot Plant Design Project - Member - New Member

Good Answers: 101

03/27/2009 10:06 PM

pH 2 is extremely acidic. Is it HF? If it's not, you can use FRP lining. If it is, PP or epoxy would be better.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - Member United States - Member - Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - Member

Good Answers: 7

03/30/2009 9:15 AM

Have you looked at RAVEN coatings/linings?

Good Answers: 4

03/30/2009 11:16 AM

Will it see any organics? Organic solvents in the ppm range can be significant for some materials, even when low pH is not a problem.

How durable will it need to be? I don't care how chemically resistant a thin film lining is if it's going to get dinged up.

Your long life/low cost requirements are often at odds with one another on linings, so hopefully you get good unbiased advice from your coatings engineer. You should strongly consider independant 3rd party inspection by a NACE certified inspector during the lining process.

Register to Reply
Guru
Hobbies - DIY Welding - New Member

Good Answers: 65

03/31/2009 5:56 AM

Epoxy would seem likely to be your best bet on all criteria.

Check if organics are likely to be present and what they will be then have your coating supplier advise.

Good luck

Register to Reply
Guru

04/01/2009 10:49 AM

From all the information I have received so far the epoxy seems to be the best bet and is what I am currently getting pricing on. As far as durability goes it is always a concern in a paper mill although in this particular tank it really should not be a problem. As soon as I say that I will probably catch a maintenance guy setting a bobcat over into the tank to clean it or something like that. Thanks all for your suggestions, I am currently looking through the options.

Good Answers: 4
In reply to #7

04/01/2009 3:44 PM

Oh, you didn't say paper mill before - poor lining is doomed

As a former materials engineering consultant, I could tell you some pretty "interesting" paper mill stories.

One follow up question that comes to mind based upon your comment that it's a paper mill application - will the lining see caustic now and again (e.g. might be used to neutralize the low pH excursions you mentioned)?

Register to Reply
Guru

In reply to #8

04/01/2009 3:59 PM

Yes It could see caustic when we would do a caustic boil out on the Paper machine head box but not very often and then it would not be enough to change the Ph significantly. The current through put of our effluent system is somewhere around 14-17 million gallons per day so compared to this a few hundred gallons of caustic wouldn't be a big difference. I went back and checked with the environmental guys and they said that the acid is the problem that I should plan for. I will be doing the pre bid walk through tomorrow for the new steel portion of the bottom and should have suggestions for a coating as well as budgetary number then as well. I have 4 companies in mind for quoting the coating and application portion of this work but I need to be able to make sure all the coatings are in the same ball park so to speak in that they will do what I need.

Engineering Fields - Civil Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Construction Engineering - Member Engineering Fields - Mining Engineering - Member United States - Member - Member Popular Science - Weaponology - Member Hobbies - Target Shooting - Member Hobbies - Car Customizing - Member

04/01/2009 4:22 PM

Like I said earlier, we use Raven 405 inside sewer manholes and to line the walls of our pump stations, and it holds up better than anything. We have tried 5 or 6 other linings, but Raven has always outlasted them. Our main reason for lining manholes is to protect the concrete against the leaching caused by the gases that build up.

In reply to #10

04/01/2009 4:34 PM

Hello and thanks for the information. I am looking into the Raven lining system. Are you aware of anywhere this coating has been applied to steel tanks? A few years ago I did a no dig rehabilitation project of the underground pipe line that feeds this surge tank and I used a vinyl easter resin "Invertapipe" brand/type liner system and it worked very well. I assume this is one application of the Raven coating or is it more of a sprayed on type coating?

In reply to #11

04/02/2009 7:37 AM

The raven is a sprayed on system.

In reply to #11

04/17/2009 4:00 PM

Please contact me with any questions regarding Raven products. I'm a Sales Rep for RLS Solutions that manufacturers Raven epoxies. 800-324-2810 or cell: 216-212-6493. Email: duggerj@rlssolutions.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

James Dugger

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 13 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Dugger (1); DVader1000 (1); jgjengr (2); lyn (1); Old Coal Man (3); pipewelder (4); sceptic (1)

Previous in Forum: What's the Best Pool Treatment System?   Next in Forum: Maximum velocity for liquid flow.
You might be interested in: Interior Doors, Coating Services

Advertisement