Previous in Forum: Automating a Manual Electric Water Pump   Next in Forum: Over-Capacitance and Electrical Power Systems
Close
Close
Close
3 comments
Commentator

How to drain to empty, NiCad camera batteries.

03/31/2009 2:29 PM

I was told when I bought NiCad rechargeable batteries for my camera, that I should be sure they are fully drained before I recharge them. If I've been using the camera all day and want to recharge the batteries over night, how can I drain them to empty, in the best and most convenient way, outside the camera, before I put them in the recharger overnight. What would happen if it put them in some salty or slightly vinegar, water for half an hour before recharging them?

Register to Reply
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Guru

Good Answers: 1662

Re: How to drain to empty, NiCad camera batteries.

03/31/2009 2:59 PM

"What would happen if it put them in some salty or slightly vinegar, water for half an hour before recharging them?"

You would have rusty, dead batteries.

The simplest solution is to purchase a charger that drains the batteries for you, before it recharges them. It's called conditioning, I think.

Otherwise, find some device that the batteries fit, flashlight etc. and drain them using that device before charging them.

It is very important to fully cycle your batteries every time you recharge them.

Look up NiCad memory.

Register to Reply
Guru
United Kingdom - Member - Olde Member!! Engineering Fields - Instrumentation Engineering - New Member

Good Answers: 45

03/31/2009 3:45 PM

More importantly.... don't discharge them as a set of series connected cells, because one will always become reverse biased.

Discharge them as individual cells and then immediately recharge them.

In reply to #2

03/31/2009 9:31 PM

Actually, that happened to me once. One of the batteries "reversed" according to my very basic test meter. I certainly didn't understand that - does it have a name ? If I use a flashlight with all four in at once, doesn't that mean they're in "series". I don't have anything that just works on one at a time. What can I improvise ? (besides the salty water ?) Thanks.

Register to Reply
Register to Reply 3 comments
Interested in this topic? By joining CR4 you can "subscribe" to
this discussion and receive notification when new comments are added.
Copy to Clipboard

Users who posted comments:

Electroman (1); lyn (1); nofineprint (1)

Previous in Forum: Automating a Manual Electric Water Pump   Next in Forum: Over-Capacitance and Electrical Power Systems

Advertisement